Your favorite Spirit moments over the years!

One of my favorite Spirit moments came in '77 when they did a standstill in a small town in Iowa. The main street in the business district was closed off so we got to stand right in front of the hornline. As they finished playing you could hear an alarm going off. The sound had rattled the windows on a bank 3/4 of a block behind the corps and set off the burglar alarm . Not a "glass breaking" moment but close.

Funny to note that our score for 7th place in 1983 wouldn't even make finals today.

Steve, that's because it was still under the tick system, instead of pulling numbers out of assorted orifices.

Garry in Vegas

My best time....

Playing tickless runs with almost 3 weeks to go in 90.

In 89, the snareline was ###### off at the scores from the Wichita, KS show, so we decided to line up behind the busses and play our show in front of about 200 people. It was tickless.....89 and 90 had a couple very good drumlines....

Other than that, my other dominant memory is seeing them in Cedarburg in 1978. I had heard them at prelims in 1977 and thought they were OK. But that day in Cedarburg was something else. Who were THOSE guys again?? Talk about making a statement!

By far one of my fondest memories of the three years that I marched Spirit (77-79). Jim and the rest of the staff had been hinting during all days that the upcoming season could be a very special one, and that night in Cedarburg, we began believing them.

'84 Spirit all the way! That opener was right off the line in your face. As soon as you heard that opening bass run, you knew that hornline was gonna' blow you back with that statement! And that sop soloist! Man o' man o' man! Wasn't that opener called "Brothers of Bop?" Refresh me.

And although it wasn't a typical Spirit show, I also loved thier '89 program-Intersteller Suite! That drumline was massive and d*** good!

So, if Spirit wants to climb back into finals again, they need to bring back that '84 opener!

And although it wasn't a typical Spirit show, I also loved thier '89 program-Intersteller Suite! That drumline was massive and d*** good!

:ph34r:

Garry in Vegas

'84 Spirit all the way! That opener was right off the line in your face. As soon as you heard that opening bass run, you knew that hornline was gonna' blow you back with that statement! And that sop soloist! Man o' man o' man! Wasn't that opener called "Brothers of Bop?" Refresh me.

So, if Spirit wants to climb back into finals again, they need to bring back that '84 opener!

1983 was Brothers of Bop opener.

1984 was the Porgy and Bess year (with Blues in the Night in the middle)