San Antonio Review

Wow, I'm kind of taken aback. Thanks for all the props, everyone. I went back and edited out some of the bad grammar/spelling. I wonder sometimes if I open myself up completely to the all corps any more, with all the stress I'm under from my job (which is pretty intense). Good to see I'm reacting to most of the shows in a similar way to most of you. Here's to a great rest of the summer!

Harvey

RE Phantom:

though I wish they had just a touch more subtle & softer moments of beauty.

I went to their rehearsal on Sunday and they were putting a lot of time into encorporating more subtle dynamics into some of the music. I like getting my ears blown back but I am also a big fan of nuance - it gives more heart to the music.

Marimba Mom

Wow, I'm kind of taken aback. Thanks for all the props, everyone. I went back and edited out some of the bad grammar/spelling. I wonder sometimes if I open myself up completely to the all corps any more, with all the stress I'm under from my job (which is pretty intense). Good to see I'm reacting to most of the shows in a similar way to most of you. Here's to a great rest of the summer!

Harvey

Even if you weren't my friend, you're still a good reviewer.

DCI San Antonio Review

Madison Scouts have made incredible strides this summer – and are knocking on the door to regain top 12 status. I don’t think any corps has made more progress from June than Scouts. The first 8 minutes or so of their show are very solid – perhaps top 10 quality. You can even “feel” Madison at times, with intensity and passion. The music continues to sell better & better as the members gain confidence. The corps marches better – with significant demand – than most around them in the standings as well. After the guard makes a nice, strong opening statement, they still have plenty of work to do in the rest of the show if they want to make finals – it’s a big differentiator between them & Crossmen right now – both in design, execution & impacts to the overall Visual Effect. Unfortunately, the last 2-3 minutes (from drum break to the end) are a difficult Achilles heel to overcome with 3 weeks to go. It’s just such a huge letdown after the show has sold so well for the first 8 minutes. And they may win the award for the most pointless drum break drill ever. I have my fingers crossed for Madison – but there may just not be room for them to break into the top 12. It’s going to be a very close call with Crossmen all the way until Bloomington, I think.

Harvey

Im with you on the last 2 minutes of the show. I do like the rhythms of the drum break, Its very out there and unlike what anyone is doing. Cavaliers do this same drum production and its cutting edge. But even with the changes to the closer, its just not equal to the first 2/3 of the show. I say reprise the end of the opener.

Edited by Scerpella