UMass Instructors

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haunting.... considering the first line sung.... and you can hear his voice over the loudspeaker...

When he spoke of needing to send a message to his administrators; I'm guessing that was a continual issue. Three years ago, he called me after the band got back home from performing at the BOA Grand Nationals. He asked me to write him a letter he could share with his administration.

11-20-07

George M. Parks

Director of Bands

University of Massachusetts Minuteman Band

Dear George:

I wanted to send you a note to thank you for bringing in your Minuteman Band to perform at the Music for All Bands of America Grand National Championships this past weekend. I trust this e-mail attachment will find you okay.

I was quite impressed with the level of performance and the amount of music you were able to prepare for the two days the band participated in exhibition. But more so, I was impressed with the demeanor, professionalism and politeness of the band members when I ran into them in the lower level hallway. You have trained them well to represent the university, not just on the field, but off as well. I expect that anyone who has run into the band would have the same reaction.

Exposing the band to such a large audience that is in attendance to witness the pre-eminent marching band competition in the United States has got to be a scary proposition. You are performing in front of people who understand marching band quality and that’s a tough order to fill. The Minuteman Band was splendid in how it fulfilled that mission and how it brought honor and prestige to the entire University of Massachusetts.

No doubt having the chance to perform in front of so many band fans and thousands of music educators who travel to this event was a wonderful educational opportunity for your band members. Too often college marching band directors forget that there is more to teaching their students than what goes into preparing them for football games. By taking the Minuteman Band to this prestigious event, you are opening their eyes to the larger world of how they can impact others and in return spread the goodwill and stature of the University of Massachusetts.

Bravo for success on all levels and I hope you bring the band back in the future. Such an ensemble needs to be shared with the greater public.

Sincerely,

Michael Boo

Writer: Bands of America, Drum Corps International, Winter Guard International

When he spoke of needing to send a message to his administrators; I'm guessing that was a continual issue. Three years ago, he called me after the band got back home from performing at the BOA Grand Nationals. He asked me to write him a letter he could share with his administration.

11-20-07

George M. Parks

Director of Bands

University of Massachusetts Minuteman Band

Dear George:

I wanted to send you a note to thank you for bringing in your Minuteman Band to perform at the Music for All Bands of America Grand National Championships this past weekend. I trust this e-mail attachment will find you okay.

I was quite impressed with the level of performance and the amount of music you were able to prepare for the two days the band participated in exhibition. But more so, I was impressed with the demeanor, professionalism and politeness of the band members when I ran into them in the lower level hallway. You have trained them well to represent the university, not just on the field, but off as well. I expect that anyone who has run into the band would have the same reaction.

Exposing the band to such a large audience that is in attendance to witness the pre-eminent marching band competition in the United States has got to be a scary proposition. You are performing in front of people who understand marching band quality and that’s a tough order to fill. The Minuteman Band was splendid in how it fulfilled that mission and how it brought honor and prestige to the entire University of Massachusetts.

No doubt having the chance to perform in front of so many band fans and thousands of music educators who travel to this event was a wonderful educational opportunity for your band members. Too often college marching band directors forget that there is more to teaching their students than what goes into preparing them for football games. By taking the Minuteman Band to this prestigious event, you are opening their eyes to the larger world of how they can impact others and in return spread the goodwill and stature of the University of Massachusetts.

Bravo for success on all levels and I hope you bring the band back in the future. Such an ensemble needs to be shared with the greater public.

Sincerely,

Michael Boo

Writer: Bands of America, Drum Corps International, Winter Guard International

Thank you so much, Mr. Boo! It was our (the members') pleasure to learn under Mr. Parks and bring his vision to the field! He is loved and will be missed...

On another note I really hope we are able to see the halftime show somehow, I'm sure that performance will be something incredibly special.

I hear ya. I hope so, too.

I'm a Michigan football fan... but I will be rooting for the UMass band more than anything at that game.

Thanks for the info.

It seems like he is not actively involved with any corp.

It seems when Crown brought Klesch(with UMASS also}(do I have the name and spelling correct)on board they have improved alot.

Also,I do believe they get members from UMASS due to his being with Crown.

I wonder why Hannum has never been with Boston.

He lives in the state.

Both Klesch and Hannum were on BAC's staff in 1997...

Thank you so much, Mr. Boo! It was our (the members') pleasure to learn under Mr. Parks and bring his vision to the field! He is loved and will be missed...

You're welcome; and I can't even imagine the level of the pain your community of George Parks devotees must be feeling.

George was an outstanding leader, motivator and was insrumental in the development of the marching band activity across New England.

There are so many individuals that were a part of UMASS and Boston:

Colin McNutt was a memebr of the corps

Brian Tinkel was a member of the corps

Nick Angelis was a member of the corps

Rich Perrier was a member of the corps and now development director

Thom Hannum did a couple of different times with the corps

great people influenced by one of the best!