Great Read on G vs Bb

Mello Dude

Are Brigs multi-key? I thought they were.

I think last year they went to multi key.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought only the top 5-ish DCA corps were on Bb's. And maybe 3 of the A class corps. Or A class Hopefulls with the 35 rule.

As far as all-age Texas and Friends, iirc...

Frontier - G

Gulf Coast Sound - G

Austin Stars - Bb

World Gone Mad - Bb

Scream Machine - ?G?

Prairie Sound - G

High Country Brass - G

Masquerade - ?G?

I would hazard a guess that less than 50% of DCA corps are on Bb's. Throw in the Alumni and minicorps corps in there. Although there's a bit of mixing these days. The Austin Stars are using at least one G bugle (> 10%), despite being a Bb hornline. And a number of G lines have Bb Tubas because of availability / costs.

I think only Alliance in on Bb's in the South East. While MCL, Gold, CV, SD, Shenandoah, et cetera are on G's. Or I could be wrong.

Not only are Shenandoah Sound's bugles in G, but they are 2 valve as well.

Shenandoah "We don't need no stinking 3rd valve!" Sound

I thought this debate ended three years ago (if not before that).

At some point all competitive DCA corps will also go Bb. It only makes sense as horns must be retired, and frankly, it's easier to play in tune on Bb Horns. The way G and Bb low brass were made anyway is practically the same, so you're really only talking about the trumpet vs soprano sound being different. We know it is, but we also know that the marching trumpets have improved every year, closing that gap.

I think the real question is how the DCI shows are put together, and their ability to translate to the fan base (but that's for another topic).

Not only are Shenandoah Sound's bugles in G, but they are 2 valve as well.

Shenandoah "We don't need no stinking 3rd valve!" Sound

The "Commandant's Own" seem to be of the same mind set :shutup: If it's good enough for the Marine's it's good enough for me.

Edited by melligene

The "Commandant's Own" seem to be of the same mind set :shutup: If it's good enough for the Marine's it's good enough for me.

Except the contrabasses, I believe. If I am correct on this the contras that they use have 2 valves AND a rotor. And I understand that they still can't hit all the notes on the scale, such as the low "D". Can anyone else comment on this paticular item to confirm or "contra" dict? :shutup:

Edited by Vanguard Rich

I thought this debate ended three years ago (if not before that).

At some point all competitive DCA corps will also go Bb. It only makes sense as horns must be retired, and frankly, it's easier to play in tune on Bb Horns. The way G and Bb low brass were made anyway is practically the same, so you're really only talking about the trumpet vs soprano sound being different. We know it is, but we also know that the marching trumpets have improved every year, closing that gap.

Usually when people start talking like this,,they start trying to convince themselves and the public that this is true.

I pray the Renegades never go Bb.

Usually when people start talking like this,,they start trying to convince themselves and the public that this is true.

I hope they never do as well but that may be a forgone conclusion with G horns on the decline and has been ever since made the decision to go multi key. It's not simply your ears telling that it's louder I have actually used a DB meter on all the horns from Bb to G including low brass and mello's and there is no doubt the g horn is superior for volume and projecting it. Actually, what was funny is that comparing G to G that a valve rotar was the same volume wise to a 3 vlave. But a 2-valve was VERY much louder that either of those two and they were much louder than a Bb.

As far as intonation it has more to do with quality control than anything wlse. I have played good and bad g horns...alot more clunkers with G I am afraid. Quite honestly I don't quite understand the whole TAN slide theory and giving up your first valve tuning slide...really really weird and not very bright in design IMHO.

I also agree both from a science and sound standpoint that the key makes a HUGE diffrence in sound. The loss of any sort of overtone series is very much apparent today. I mean, they are talking about amping a trumpet (or whomever) soloist...how sackless is that? Hell, when I was a soloist for ISU and we have 400+ on the field I didn't need a #### mic to be heard. Oh well, the activity moves forward. I suppose the next big upgrade will be segways rather than marching.

Well if a corps can afford new Gs, it ain't a problem. For the rest of us still playing Gs, it's be extra careful with the metal and maintain them like you do with a car. Oops, note to self to get another valve casing re-aligned this winter. I don't pay dues so it's another way to support the corps financially.

Any idea if the 'gades use Kanstul since Ziggys' in the area and the company still makes Gs? More power to 'em if true since we have used Kanstul Gs.

4 corps, 3 decades, 5 Bari types, 13 seasons (so far)

One more corps and you should be in line for a free toaster. :shutup: :shutup: :shutup::worthy: