Great Read on G vs Bb

Mello Dude

One more corps and you should be in line for a free toaster. :shutup: :shutup: :shutup::worthy:

VERY FUNNY!!! A true story: This is almost the same line, except that it was a said by a police sergeant in Bloomington, Illinois who was handing out a speeding ticket to a motorist who was complaining about speeding ticket violation quotas; To the motorist's complaints he replied: "One more ticket and I get a free blender!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It only makes sense as horns must be retired

Well, if one buys horns NEW (at retail) and runs them into the ground. Dollar for Dollar, it's still cheaper to buy G's. They just don't have as much resale value. Which isn't a problem if you never resale them. But for many corps that rotate used horns out in favor of new horns, better deals can be had with Bb instruments. And the resale of relatively new and expensive horns doesn't take two plus years with Bb horns.

Any idea if the 'gades use Kanstul since Ziggys' in the area and the company still makes Gs?

They're on the same coast, but not exactly "in the area". Ziggy's company is in Anaheim, which is about 400 miles from San Francisco. (A little more than the distance between Harrisburg and Boston.)

4 corps, 3 decades, 5 Bari types, 13 seasons (so far)

Now I'm starting to feel my age.

6 corps, 3 decades, 7 horn types, 12th season (so far)

Although in my case I've detoured from my Euph main.

'88 - King 2 valve chrome Euph

'89-92 - Deg 2 valve chrome Euph

'98 + '02 - Deg 2 valve silver Euph

'02 + '04 + '06 - Kanstul 3 valve silver Euph

'05 - King 2 valve frenchie, and Deg 3 valve Mellophone

'07 - King 4 valve BBb Tuba

'08 - Bach 3 valve Trumpet

King of reminds me of visiting my old college buddy in California at DCI 2007. He asked if he should put on '80's rock or '90's rock(cable TV). I told him 90's, since I didn't want to feel that old.

Gee, I wonder why??? Did you break his ear drum during the "G" test??? Probably came close, eh???

Interesting comments here, and it appears that alll of the DCI Division I Corps don't use "G's" any more, but a few of the DCA Competing Corps still do. For the reasons of resale value when buying new instruments, I wonder how long this will continue? I suspect as long as quality pre-owned (what car dealers now call them) "G" instruments are still around to be purchased. In the not too distant future, we may have to go over to Africa to get 'em, as they're being sent overseas from what I'm hearing.

I do a lot of playing on Bb trumpet. I like it fine and I can put out some sound when necessary.

However, for drum corps, I love my G bugle. I have a DEG 3 valve in chrome finish, (the only true drum corp finish :thumbup:), I bought it in 1988 and was the first on my block and alumni corps to own one.

It's in mint condition, built like a tank.

In my test, I used a simple Db meter on a recording device and also my wife and a friend. I just switched back and forth between horns playing the same thing and asked them which was louder.

G bugle came out louder in every instance. Took about a half hour, was very loud, boring and at one point I decided to just go full out on a whole note. In both cases the horns began to buzz in my hands from the volume and the sound really distorted on the Yamaha, but the bugle could handle it.

Not scientific, conclusive, or particularly useful. I was just curious.

The people listening never knew which horn I was playing and couldn't really perceive a definite difference in sound quality. I was told never to play that loud in public again.

Kilties will have an almost completely new set of Kanstul G's after this season. Sopranos and Mellos are already in use with Baritones slated for purchase after this season. Actually 90% of the Baritones are already Kanstuls but they will be new as of next year.

All of my personal experience comes up the same time after time. G's are louder. Bb's tune better. The raw "drum corps sound" is a G sound. I had the experience of standing 20 feet away from a DCA hornline on Bb's playing a victory concert after finals last year. They simply don't have the ability to make your ears bleed or chest cave in.

Edited by Scerpella

I do a lot of playing on Bb trumpet. I like it fine and I can put out some sound when necessary.

However, for drum corps, I love my G bugle. I have a DEG 3 valve in chrome finish, (the only true drum corp finish :thumbup:), I bought it in 1988 and was the first on my block and alumni corps to own one.

It's in mint condition, built like a tank.

In my test, I used a simple Db meter on a recording device and also my wife and a friend. I just switched back and forth between horns playing the same thing and asked them which was louder.

G bugle came out louder in every instance. Took about a half hour, was very loud, boring and at one point I decided to just go full out on a whole note. In both cases the horns began to buzz in my hands from the volume and the sound really distorted on the Yamaha, but the bugle could handle it.

Not scientific, conclusive, or particularly useful. I was just curious.

The people listening never knew which horn I was playing and couldn't really perceive a definite difference in sound quality. I was told never to play that loud in public again.

This is a great read. I know what you mean about your chrome "tank". I have a DEG 3-valve chrome "G" mello "tank" I pull out every so often & play it.

They're on the same coast, but not exactly "in the area". Ziggy's company is in Anaheim, which is about 400 miles from San Francisco. (A little more than the distance between Harrisburg and Boston.)

:smile: ...... :thumbup: So that's why I never saw a Anaheim road sign when I was in the SF area (Valejo(sp)) years ago. :smile: Kinda like one friend who flew to Harrisburg and wanted to pop over for a Pirates game (200 miles). His response was "Well PA isn't that big of a state").

And note to Ed: Now you tell me about that free toaster (just replaced one). :smile: If I ever get a chance to join another corps, I'll have to call it my "toaster corps". :smile: And just noticed your avatar. LMAO!!!

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Except the contrabasses, I believe. If I am correct on this the contras that they use have 2 valves AND a rotor. And I understand that they still can't hit all the notes on the scale, such as the low "D". Can anyone else comment on this paticular item to confirm or "contra" dict? :thumbup:

"Commandant's Own":

The Marines and "Two Valves" (Which I personally thing is a GREAT idea) MAY be a way to survive in an era of Military Drawdowns & Budget Cuts. A "Third Valve" MIGHT (To the 'Brass') make them a "Band'. The "8th & I" already HAS a great "Band": The "President's Own". I doubt the Headquarters USMC bean counters would find the need for a second "Band" in DC and convert the Marine Drum Corps into a rifle company.

The USAF and USMC had several "Full Time" drum & bugle corps "Way Back" in the 1960's & 70's. All of them, save one, thanks to budget cuts and manning cutbacks are long gone. They are very much missed.

Elphaba

The USAF and USMC had several "Full Time" drum & bugle corps "Way Back" in the 1960's & 70's. All of them, save one, thanks to budget cuts and manning cutbacks are long gone. They are very much missed.

Elphaba

It's funny how these things come around full circle. The 2003 - 2005 Royal Airs' Music Director John Zimny was in the USAF D & B Corps. The horns used by the RA belonged to the Air Force, which the Corps used & purchased, and still owns today, with John's assistance. They are all 3-valve silver "G" DEG's; Sopranos, Mellos Baris & Contras of which I played one of 'em while with the Corps.

Edited by Vanguard Rich