All time favorite "Drum Corps Moment".

Auditioning and making a Dennis Delucia drumline with the Bridgemen !!!! nuff said imo

Carolina Crown in Lafayette, 2008. The whole stadium resonated during Toccata and Fugue. I felt like there was an entire hornline inside my head, it was so loud.

i have yet to rack up my own marching memories

First. Winning CYO Nationals in 1977 in front of my home crowd. So many great Lancer corps competed before mine, yet somehow we walked off with the trophy.

Second. The other memory is Drum Along the Rockies - Mile High Stadium 1976. We beat BD's, and took top drums. I remember the enormous scoreboard flashing with the words "High Drums - 27th Lancers."

Wow, my top two highlights as well. The third would be somewhere down south with Avant Garde. We were housed with Bridgemen who applauded our run-through as though we were world champs. The corps went on and finished next to last, but took high M&M. I was teaching right side, and it was my birthday. The kids had taken up a collection, and presented it to me after the scores were announced. I couldn't have finished tour without that 25 bucks. Tears of gratitude to this day.

My all time favorite drum corps moment happened when I was marching onto the field at j birny crum and Bob "Pugsly" McCarthy says under his breath welcome to the 90's ............meaning we were going to break 90 that day Labor day 1986 I can remember it like it was yesterday

Edited by RichDeCapio

1979 Dream Contest....Roosevelt Stadium, Jersay City, NJ

This was my first exposure to DCI corps live. The Royal Brigade and The Garfield Cadets were the first two corps to appear in competition until the skies opened and washed out the competition for the rest of the day. Everyone going forward appeared in exhibition. I was pretty much bummed out until The Bridgemen began to take the field....

bay119790041.jpg

THEY WEREN'T WEARING ANY PANTS!!!!

:lol:

bay31979-32.jpg

Absolutely one of my favorite moments in Drum Corps.

As a performer and member of the 1982 Garfield Cadets, taking first place in Huntington, WV over the defending DCI World Champion Santa Clara Vanguard. It was a testament to how far we had come and to where we were about to go as a drum corps.

As an instructor...After being a staff member of the Raiders from Bayonne, NJ for four of its first five years, making Div III finals for the first time in 1996 and placing finalist medals around the necks of kids who had been there from day one. Truly an awesome night!

Edited by George82

My Drum Corps moment was our (SCV) first major show in Racine, Wisconsin in 1970 which at that time was the center of the universe for Drum Corps. I remember coming up to the starting line and no one knew who the Santa Clara Vanguard were at that time so the crowd headed out to the nearest refreshment stand to get that last beer before the Casper Troopers came on. We opened with a big sound and the crowd slowly started wondering back to the stands and by concert we had everyone back in their seats and up on their feet. By the end of concert (Wayne Downey solo) the crowd went nuts and we couldn't even hear our drum major start us up. At the end of the show the entire crowd was screaming and on their feet before we finished. The announcer went beserk screaming what a show! A moment I won't forget.

Second drum corps memory (I'll get killed for making it 2nd) was meeting my wife (marched with Bleu Raeders) when I was taught M&M with the Black Watch (Auburn, WA).

Jesse Amador

'66-'72 (Sparks) Santa Clara Vanguard

Edited by amadorj

My Drum Corps moment was our (SCV) first major show in Racine, Wisconsin in 1970 which at that time was the center of the universe for Drum Corps. I remember coming up to the starting line and no one knew who the Santa Clara Vanguard were at that time so the crowd headed out to the nearest refreshment stand to get that last beer before the Casper Troopers came on. We opened with a big sound and the crowd slowly started wondering back to the stands and by concert we had everyone back in their seats and up on their feet. By the end of concert (Wayne Downey solo) the crowd went nuts and we couldn't even hear our drum major start us up. At the end of the show the entire crowd was screaming and on their feet before we finished. The announcer went beserk screaming what a show! A moment I won't forget.

Second drum corps memory (I'll get killed for making 2nd) was meeting my wife (marched with Bleu Raeders) when I was taught M&M with the Black Watch (Auburn, WA).

Jesse Amador

'66-'72 (Sparks) Santa Clara Vanguard

That WAS sweet and the proof is on the LP Jesse. "Wonderful show! Wonderful show! Santa Clara Vanguard!!". I never heard since that day an announcer give his opinion of a show after the Corps was finished.

But for me, beating everyone at the North American Invitational in Michigan City '70 is my favorite Drum Corps moment. No doubt anymore as to "Who" the Santa Clara Vanguard was.

Second best was doing the Bottle Dance for the first time ever at the age of 47 (see below, 5th from the left) in the "Mecca" of Drum Corps, Camp Randall stadium, Madison WI, '02. That standing "O" will stay with me till the very end. :smile:

MadisonBD02.jpg

Edited by MsBusDriver

Standing on the field at the conclusion of our performance with the 27th Lancer Alumni Corps, which was fourteen years ago tonight, 8/20/94!

The crowd was so loud, it started a banging head-ache! It made us all truly feel like "Rock Stars"!

Afterwards, I remember addressing the corps in the parking lot and telling them that we needed to keep on schedule. All I said was; "Lights Are Out at 10 AM". We can all assume what happened next.....

Going to the Dream contest at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ in 1966. I've been fortunate enough to have had a lot of "moments" over the years but for a then 14 year old kid seeing The Cavaliers, Royal Airs, Troopers and Kilties in person for the first time as well Blessed Sac and St Lucy's, I was in drum corps heaven. I still get goose bumps thinking about that day.