Which mellophone would you recommend?

Hrothgar15

Don't get me wrong - the Kanstul is the best of the "others". Here is my list:

1. Yamaha 204 - ****

2. Kanstul - ***

3. King - ***

4. Yamaha 203 - **1/2

5. Jupiter - **

I believe Chris is on target with these assessments. Heck, why wouldn't he be? He's the best.

I procured one of the first Quantum 5050s to hit the US and undertook a review (with photos). I can't attest to the quality of the Quantum Low Brass (which is great by nearly all accounts). However, while the Q 5050s is definitely serviceable, there is room for improvement. I gave the Quantum a slightly higher rating than Chris.

Read more

Keep in mind that Quantum is a separate line from its Jupiter marching brass. Manufactured at the same location, but some pretty smart folks here in the U.S. are responsible for the design of the instruments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt that the Kanstuls play the best.

The thing that disappoints me is that they don't tend to be as durable as some of the others. I was constantly cracking braces on my old axe...

Of course this was a much older Kanstul (mid to late 90s vintage). I believe the newer ones aren't as easy to break.

The thing that disappoints me is that they don't tend to be as durable as some of the others. I was constantly cracking braces on my old axe...

Of course this was a much older Kanstul (mid to late 90s vintage). I believe the newer ones aren't as easy to break.

Like you havent tried. :thumbup:

Chris,

Have you tried the Jupiter?

-Steve

Me too and the Yamaha is in an entirely different class than the Jupiter....a much better class.

Chris - in your opinion, what aspects of the 204 do you prefer versus the King?

I found the Yamaha to be more in tune with itself and to be smoother overall. It also works very well in the high register - much better than the others. Kanstul is a nice horn, don't get me wrong. It and the King are both fine instruments. Just not as good as the Yamaha (IMO).

But I think everyone should get Kanstul 284s.

I found the Yamaha to be more in tune with itself and to be smoother overall. It also works very well in the high register - much better than the others. Kanstul is a nice horn, don't get me wrong. It and the King are both fine instruments. Just not as good as the Yamaha (IMO).

But I think everyone should get Kanstul 284s.

I have an old DEG (marching F horn). The Kanstul looks sweet. I'll not go back to mellophone if i can help it; don't want to screw up my horn chops.

What does a Kanstul run nowadays? I can never find a price.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be purchasing a mellophone soon and I am wondering which model DCP recommends. These are images of the actual instruments I am considering purchasing

Yamaha, not sure of the model

d40f_1.JPG

Brand unspecified

335b_1.JPG

Obviously the construction of each horn is different. I noticed that the Yamaha has the "U-bar" at the end while the other horn doesn't. Both are in the key of F. What I am wondering is if anyone can identify the brand of the second instrument, how these two horns may differ in sound and which would be a better buy. Price is not an issue. The purpose of the instrument is to practice on and to take to auditions in the fall. Thanks in advance.

Out of these two horns, the Yamaha is the better choice. However, I do agree with what appears to be the majority opinion (of those expressed on this thread) the Yamaha 204 is the best route to take if you can afford it. Unfortunately, it will cost a nice chunk of money, even a 'certified used' 203 will cost over $700.

A few questions I would consider:

-how soon do I need it

-if I can wait a bit, will I be able to save the money I need

- will the purchase of a new or a 'certified used' negatively effect my financial situation

I just browsed the listings on ebay and this is my suggestion if you are on a tight budget and need a horn as soon as possible. I offer my apologies in advance for those who do not agree with me, I will however explain my reasoning. If you need it now and at a low price I would suggest the Bach 887. This horn model is, for all intent and purposes the F.E. Olds model that made the Conn 16E obsolete. It is always the model that Yamaha more than likely used as the basis for their mellophone models. From my personal experience the Bach 887 is not as advanced as the 203 or 204 it is a solid horn and in its own rite above the 202. The major issue with the 887 is the 4th line D, however alt. fingering 1_3 compensates well (but not perfectly) it is also a bit bell heavy. It does produce a very nice mellow tone. A good player will quickly adjust to the horns flaws. The 202's major issues are a very narrowly slotted 5th line F. It takes a great deal of practice to get the 'feel' for the slotting. Also all notes bellow a D (just bellow the staff) are extremely flat. It is a very comfortable horn to hold, I have not picked up a mello better balanced than this. Personally, between the two discussed models I would choose the Bach 887 every time.

This horn has been serviced and play tested. Although it isn't pretty looking, it is nothing a good polishing wouldn't 'cure'. The one nice thing about a horn with no next to no lacquer, it's easy tell if the bell has been rolled out. In this case the bell appears to have suffered no damage and the lead pipe is intact. There is some minor body dings but nothing significant.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACH-USA-Marching-F-Me...id=p3286.c0.m14

This horn has more lacquer but hasn't been serviced or play tested. The lead pipe is intact but it appears that the bell has been previously rolled out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bach-USA-Marching-Mell...id=p3286.c0.m14

For the record I do own Bach 887 and a Yamaha 204. If you can pull it off I would get the 204, if not settling for a 887 isn't all that bad.

Best of luck to you! If you have any more questions def ask the very knowledgeable folks here. I also recommend checking out www.mellocast.com ( Episode 13 - Buying Mellos on eBay) and www.middlehornleader.com

Edited by Penn State

• 6 years later...

my schools kanstul horns are amazing, they are 2000-01ish and are durable as all hell. but the baritones do seem to have a welding problem with their third-valve kicker, we broke a few last season.

• 2 weeks later...

What's funny is that I have a very old Kanstul 3v G ("very old" meaning pre-1994-ish, I believe they might have been modeled on the old King F mello), and it's extremely durable.