DCI messes up embouchre?

heyboiay

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard from several people that marching in DCI, will ruin your lips if you wish to pursue a career in a professional orchestra? Is this true? I play horn, (mello for marching) and was just curious if this is true or not.

LMAO, have heard that one as a reason to keep kids out of drum corps since 1974 in the days of G horns with piston/rotor set ups.

Have yet to hear anyone say it screwed them up....

That includes all the band directors I march/marched with...

I wouldn't say embrochure, but I do notice that even after a weekend (since I'm in DCA) of playing for 2 days on a dyNASTY small bore baritone, there is obviously quite a difference between that and my besson euphonium for sure, which takes a while to getting used to playing again, so that's the only issue I can think of, but no, it doesn't ruin your embrochure.

(epic fail of the usage of sentences)

No, no, no, although I did have a bow-tied, wire-rimmed spectacles tpt prof tell me that.

I have heard that said for french horn players, but putting Blistex on your lips can shoot a f-horn players lips too! Should stick to power bore horns!

Off the top of my head we have at least four public school band directors and one college music prof in my Alumni corps horn line. Not sure of the exact count as I don't live in the area and they're spread out over southern PA/ northern MD. Hades one just retired and his son marches next to him. :smile:

Guess they never got the memo.... :smile:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

It won't mess up your emboucher but you will have the tendency to play really loud and beast like.

Seriously, if you march DCI with the real intense rehearsals and eventual professional like playing, you may experience a change in you attitude.

You'll view a typical marching band as not at all challenging. This happened to kids going to DCI and then returning back to my High School Band and also happened to me when going to a Small College Band after DCI.

Of course, later if you have gotten out of the activity, you will just be happy to have a group to play with and appreciate the smaller things in the activity.

Quick! Someone tell Peter Bond (Regiment alum....trumpet at the Met), Al Chez (Cadet alum...trumpeter on David Letterman), and Freddie Martin's son (Spirit alum....principal trumpet in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (?)) that drum corps ruined their careers!!

Seriously....that's one spouted by people who ONLY see corps as loud, high, and crass....and probably haven't sen or heard a corps show since the 50s...

It won't mess up your emboucher but you will have the tendency to play really loud and beast like.

Another thing to consider, if you march DCI with the real intense rehearsals and eventual professional like playing, you may experience a change in you attitude.

You'll view a typical marching band as not at all challenging. This happened to kids going to DCI and then returning back to my High School Band and also happened to me when going to a Small College Band after DCI.

Of course, later if you have gotten out of the activity, you will just be happy to have a group to play with and appreciate the smaller things in the activity.

Edited by Kansan

I had heard that to put more butts in the seats, the NY Philharmonic was going to present the "New World Symphony" a la "BLAST!" and they're looking for new players that can march.

Really.

"Embouchures? We don't need no stinkin' embouchures!" is their new ad slogan.

Edited by Martybucs