DCI messes up embouchre?

heyboiay

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per haps as a french horn player, use a french horn mouthpiece/converter? Will many corps allow this?

I doubt that many corps allow this at the World Class level. I would discourage it at the beginner corps level, a french horn mouthpiece with an adapter chucked up in a mellophone receiver has all sorts of intonation issues - and Lord knows mellos have enough intonation issues using the BEST mouthpiece.

I also doubt that it would help your embouchure to play on a french horn mouthpiece which isn't angled downward. Different muscle control required for horn vs. trumpet.

I had to play on a yamaha mouthpiece, which was a little smaller than my schilke back home. It took me about a week to fully adjust once i got back.

Per haps as a french horn player, use a french horn mouthpiece/converter? Will many corps allow this?

It depends on the corps. I used one, if only for one show in a DCA style corps. I live in the sticks and mellophone mouthpieces are custom orders. With the standard 6 week delivery time frame. Still an 80 miles round trip to the "local" music store. Once to order, if you can get them to give you something OTHER than a GUITAR catalog. And once to pick it up, IF/WHEN it arrives. Not much you can do about that, short of having other sources. Or driving even further.

Ah, in my limited corps experience (limited way under World Class DCI), I have seen them, but I can see why a world class corps would want to avoid it. I suppose I should whip out my 1 C or something to the likes of...

Quick! Someone tell Peter Bond (Regiment alum....trumpet at the Met), Al Chez (Cadet alum...trumpeter on David Letterman), and Freddie Martin's son (Spirit alum....principal trumpet in the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (?)) that drum corps ruined their careers!!

Seriously....that's one spouted by people who ONLY see corps as loud, high, and crass....and probably haven't sen or heard a corps show since the 50s...

Chris is now Principal trumpet for the Chicago Symphony! :sad: I remember him as a 4-5 year old kid moving from lap to lap on our bus on a band trip to Virginia. Dang, I'm old!!!!!

I know of precisely one person who ever complained about drum corps messing with their embouchure.

That person played mellophone. And he complained that playing mellophone screwed up his flute chops.

Didn't stop him from playing, though.

• 4 months later...