Star United and the Finals Exhibition

You don't see ANY DCA factions competiting in DCI I&E do you?!

So then why is a DCI faction allowed to compete in a uniquely DCA competition?

How many professional musicians are in Star?..............bueller.............bueller...........

Point of information:

All DCA members under the age of 22 are allowed to compete in DCI I&E. The members of Star United are disqualified from participating because they are aged-out. i.e. too old.

They are not only in exactly the right place in that competition and are doing precisely what it takes to win. Playing *musically* and playing well-known literature throughout the drum corps community.

Just because it isn't something *YOU* don't recognize, doesn't make it any less viable. It just makes you ignorant.

Show some class and congratulate them. They deserve the title in any and every way you can slice it.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strutta......I have to agree with you......the kids (yes, kids) in CrossmenXtreme saw, listened and enjoyed all of the competitors......for us it's a growing thing and a next step thing......I have no issue with the folks from Star being there and performing/competing.........the kids learned more Friday night (and Sunday) than we've been able to explain all year. A big thanks to the Star member who stopped by and remarked at how CrossmenXtreme was (in his opinion) the hardest working minicorps. That statement and the good wishes from fellow minicorps staff and members meant a lot.

Like I said Sunday my friend, you played one helluva horn......no matter what Fallon might say........

Joe

Despite the fact you play the baritone, you DID get it right on this one, Paulie.

Congratulations Star on your win and congrats to all the performers this past weekend on another successful championships!

Strutta

Corps Director

MASS BRASS

logland are cast in numbers. Given the responses, it appears that those welcoming Star as a dca member are in the majority.

I'm dam* glad to have 'em.

No kidding.

I was entirely too young to know what was being done to Star when they left DCI. I'll be ###### if I'll let it happen again on my watch. I will fight tooth and nail for this organization in any way possible to help keep such a classy, talented organization in our circuit.

Like I said in another thread, the classless lout that shouted "this isn't DCI" after Star's first number can just shut the heck up. That was completely uncalled for, classless, and should *NOT* happen. Star doesn't deserve it, and neither does DCA.

DCA is evolving. If you don't like it, move on to the Alumni shows on Sunday morning.

Edited by CVQuesty

Star United is a classy and quality organization.

My hats are off to them and I even give them a hefty Madison Hat Bow.

Imagine if some Madison Scouts Alumns could put together a mini corps?

create peace,

Brent

geez... I'm so mad right now I almost want to make the 9 hour drive to join up.

GRRRRR!

Ignore 'em all, Star. Keep doing what you're doing. It's amazing.

I am a dca fan.

I am an unabashed promoter of the mini-corps and the mini-corps concept.

I reserve my Friday night on Labor Day weekend to sit front and center at Mini-Corps Championships.

I respect every corps' preparation and motivations.

I believe the mini-corps program their shows with audience first (they gotta have fun), members second (we gotta have fun) and judges third.

I have an opinion.

I am a fan of entertainment.

I am a fan of excellence.

I love Star United.

In all these things, I am not alone.

I was thrilled that the mini-corps champs changed their personal travel plans so they could perform the championship exhibition.

I was thrilled that the vast majority of the dca Finals crowd got to experience and appreciate Star on Sunday.

Star brings a gift to dca every year. It is excellence in technical ability and ensemble effect to the extreme.

And it is drums and bugles (that's us) played by a group of drum corps veterans (that's us, too) , all of whom are over 21 (that's us, three) and all of whom belong under the dca umbrella. They are who we are. And, yes, they are dam* good at it.

Some of us accept this gift in the spirit it is offered...in friendship, participation, cameraderie, competition and entertainment.

Some of us have trouble accepting the gift and that's too bad.

Are there mini-corps that offer different flavors than Rocky Point Holiday? Sure.

Are there mini-corps that are loud, fun and excellent in their own right? Sure.

Did we get to enjoy their performances on Friday night? In full effect.

But only one of them is the champ: Star United.

I, for one, am proud that they are part of this thing we call dca.

And they set the bar pretty high. Since when was that anything but a positive?

See you in '09...and bring the aussies with you!

You somehow forget modesty, humbleness. You guys are the 3 time champs, you should act like you've been there before, you shouldn't have to blow your own horn so loud. I personally think your great, incredible control, but to throw it in everyones face like that, is not gonna endear you to to many people!

You somehow forget modesty, humbleness. You guys are the 3 time champs, you should act like you've been there before, you shouldn't have to blow your own horn so loud. I personally think your great, incredible control, but to throw it in everyones face like that, is not gonna endear you to to many people!

The original poster of this thread was in the audience, not a member of Star United.

No kidding. There's a guy that aged out of the baritone line with me in 1985 that has played with SU for 3 years now. He's an engineer in real life.

And still here helping the US Navy stay afloat. Hey Sara! Hope life is good.

For anyone's info (and trivia buffs). 5 of us were in '85 Star. Two of us in SU went to Star in '85 for our age-out years.

We truly enjoyed being able to come back to Rochester and play for the crowd(s). And for someone who aged out in '85 and saw all the Star years it was especially sweet to be able to put foot to turf again in the stadium Sunday. For all we knew following the Bucs with ony 18 horns was potentially dicey.

It sounds like all the mini-corps brought great performances and I'll have to wait for the DVD to catch them. Thanks again.

Kim

.......if you think that is the definition of a professional, you just insulted a whole lot of people anyway,

70% of income from playing as the definition of a professional is what I have always heard.

That doesn't mean that if you make less than that you are not playing at a "professional" level.

If your neighbor pays you to mow their lawn once a month does that make you a professional landscape technician?

I only made about $6,000 off of my horn last year, so currently I am not by strict definition a professional at this time, although I do still play for pay.

I have made 100% of my income for many years in the past, does that mean I am a professional now?

I do, however, play at a "professional" level at all times.

All that aside, I believe that I am the only member of the group that gets paid to play with any real frequency.

Should I be barred from participating? Should Joey Pero, or Roger Grupp, or Peanut from 'gades, or the guys from MCL?

(there are many others, I just don't know all your names!)

I hope my discussion of my understanding of the semantics of the word professional removes the sting of my supposed insult. :thumbup: