Star United and the Finals Exhibition

Saw all three of Star's Championship performances. And although I'm much more of a Mass Brass fan, I'm glad that the door is open to excellent organizations like yours. Congrats!

To Mass Brass (and all the rest of the SO CLOSE top competitors);

you guys all have a ton of class... and no matter who's got who, and who's done what.... the results on Friday show HOW MUCH talent there is in the Mini-Corps ranks today. On this stage, youse guys can compete with anyone. :thumbup:

Edited by brassomaniac

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't see ANY DCA factions competiting in DCI I&E do you?!

So then why is a DCI faction allowed to compete in a uniquely DCA competition?

How many professional musicians are in Star?..............bueller.............bueller...........

Answers to the above questions, IMO of course:

1) No, we don't see that. Probably because DCA is all-age, DCI is not....maybe the DCI rules do not allow all-age participation, I don't know. Or possibly, because the DCI I&E show is in the middle of the week. Tough for any DCA participants to get there. Or, possibly, because no one under the age of 22 from a DCA corps has taken the time to enter that I&E show.

2) Star United, Bridgemen Alumni, Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston. All with DCI roots. All of them now alumni corps. Heck, toss in Blessed Sacrament, too, since they were a founding member of DCI. I really enjoy all those alumni corps I just named..... all of them bring something good to the table, every year. Hey... why not exclude Scout House, too, since they call themselves a bugle band and play on B-flat instruments? Oh yeah... throw out Mighty St. Joe's as well. They were once a junior corps.

3) Not many. And if you want to exclude "professional musicians".... then ask Joey Pero to take a seat. No more DCA stuff for him. Ritchee Price, too. Frank Dorritie is a professional player... perhaps we shouldn't allow him to play with the Westshoremen Alumni corps anymore, or enter the DCA I&E show to play his vintage bugles. Some members of the Minne-Brass and Renegades mini-corps... they're out, too. Or some of the folks from Music City Legend.

Yikes.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

"ignorant" comment aimed squarely at an individual, not you.

"ignorant" is not a derogatory term:

ig·no·rant Audio Help [ig-ner-uhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective

1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.

2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.

3. uninformed; unaware.

4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

It means that they just don't know. My assertion is that one's ignorance does not prove an assertion. Just beacause someone doesn't know what's being plyed (ignorance) doesn't make it any less amazing/qualitative/proper/acceptable, etc.

Edited by CVQuesty

2) Heck, toss in Blessed Sacrament, too, since they were a founding member of DCI. I really enjoy all those alumni corps I just named..... all of them bring something good to the table, every year.

LMAO as I competed against Blessed Sac the only year they were a Senior corps (1975).

Same deal with Blue Rock in the same year (was 1975 wierd or what?).....

Hanover Lancers have a bunch of folks who competed with the Westminster, MD Starlighters Junior corps back in the day. Wonder how they would fit in the mix? :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm just being a smart aleck.....

Also I respect Chris' (and others) opinions on this hot topic. Dang, know I came in late on this Mini Corps thing but doubt if the folks who started this movement could have imagined the overall quality in the last few years.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Ok.....since this is the greatest country in the world with FREE SPEECH as one of those benefits, allow me to retort.

STAR= DCI

Alum or not....they are still a DCI CORPS.

Yes, they raised the bar....and that's great.

Yes, they got four championships.....outstanding!(still not top dog tho......they got at least 3 more titles to go to reach that....does the number 105 mean anything?!)

Now, being a drum corps nut , I know what I like.

What Star played I didn't like.

I like SONGS.

I like to be entertained.

What I don't like are elevator muzak selections and bedtime story music.

Star played the hell out of their show....clean, melodic, dynamic........however, entertaining they were not to me.

The mini-corps competition didn't NEED to have Star participate to have the "bar raised".....that would have happened all by itself without their "help".

Now that they are top dog for the meantime everyone is just raining accolades because they "raised the bar" or because they "shook up the status quo".

Whatever.

You don't see ANY DCA factions competiting in DCI I&E do you?!

So then why is a DCI faction allowed to compete in a uniquely DCA competition?

How many professional musicians are in Star?..............bueller.............bueller...........

I hope the day is comming soon where someone in the mini-corps world knocks Star off the top of the mountain.

Chris.......I could be wrong, but I think we met the other night at the bar in The Clarion.......if so, it was nice meeting you.

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment above, but I definitely appreciate your spirit and candor. I think there is too much verbal glad handing on this site (and everywhere else in America for that matter) and personally I think its counter productive.

Rocky Point is probably my favorite piece of music ever performed by a drum corps. It seems to me to be the perfect marriage of harmony and complexity. Having said that, I agree that Star United was the creme of the crop, but they weren't my favorite either.

There was a guy in front of us that yelled out "This isn't DCI ya know" after their first number. I would consider that poor form.

I love the Mission From God quote earlier. That's funny.

LMAO as I competed against Blessed Sac the only year they were a Senior corps (1975).

Same deal with Blue Rock in the same year (was 1975 wierd or what?).....

Hey! Me too!

With the Interstatesmen.

Our Director had a son with Blue Rock, and he SO did not want to lose to them. (we did, tho)

Edited by brassomaniac

There was a guy in front of us that yelled out "This isn't DCI ya know" after their first number.

Did he yell that at the Bucs, by any chance?? Or Renegades? Or Brigs? Or CorpsVets? Or any OTHER DCA corps that dared to perform music so easily identified with a DCI corps?? Or do the field corps get a pass from that idiot??

Hey! Me too!

With the Interstatesmen.

Our Director had a son with Blue Rock, and he SO did not want to lose to them. (we did, tho)

Not sure if you want to talk to me then. :thumbup: Blue Rock and I-men were the first two corps Westshoremen ever beat after reforming (week before 1975 DCA).

Blessed Sac kicked our butt..... :music:

Answers to the above questions, IMO of course:

1) No, we don't see that. Probably because DCA is all-age, DCI is not....maybe the DCI rules do not allow all-age participation, I don't know. Or possibly, because the DCI I&E show is in the middle of the week. Tough for any DCA participants to get there. Or, possibly, because no one under the age of 22 from a DCA corps has taken the time to enter that I&E show.

2) Star United, Bridgemen Alumni, Crusaders Senior Corps of Boston. All with DCI roots. All of them now alumni corps. Heck, toss in Blessed Sacrament, too, since they were a founding member of DCI. I really enjoy all those alumni corps I just named..... all of them bring something good to the table, every year. Hey... why not exclude Scout House, too, since they call themselves a bugle band and play on B-flat instruments? Oh yeah... throw out Mighty St. Joe's as well. They were once a junior corps.

3) Not many. And if you want to exclude "professional musicians".... then ask Joey Pero to take a seat. No more DCA stuff for him. Ritchee Price, too. Frank Dorritie is a professional player... perhaps we shouldn't allow him to play with the Westshoremen Alumni corps anymore, or enter the DCA I&E show to play his vintage bugles. Some members of the Minne-Brass and Renegades mini-corps... they're out, too. Or some of the folks from Music City Legend.

Fran

Warning: Personal Opinion to Follow

I think it's a shame that after tremendous performances over the weekend (and the past three years), Star is now being put in the position of having to defend themselves - from what I might ask?

From being excellent at what we all aspire to do? (Jealous, Envious? Shame on you, work harder!)

From having a different style than most other Mini Corps? (God Forbid)

From having several former or current professional musicians on board? (Many organization have great players. So what, bring it on! It takes more than a few great players to have a great show).

From having several Music Ed folks sprinkled with a few professionals? It's not like they're throwing a professional ensemble out on stage that regularly performs for money (I didn't see an unicycles out on stage folks, did you? They ain't Blast)

Star isn't afraid to try something different, why are some people afraid to accept them and compete against them? Many of us come from different paths to get here, the important thing is that we're keeping this activity alive and vibrant.

This is like a scene out of Monty Python - They're Witches!!!, Let's all tie a rock around them and see if they float! :thumbup:

Time for a deep breath, and let's move on.