9/11 Tribute on DCP

My lovely bride is in her 19th year as a flight attendant for United Airlines. She is also an alumnus of the Geneseo Knights and Phantom Regiment color guards. Today she is in Seoul, Korea.

We had just been dating for 3 months when the attacks took place. She had come out early for her trip on the 11th. (She was already here in Vegas, I still lived in SoCal.) I was literally dropping her off in front of Terminal 7 at LAX as the first plane was hitting the North Tower of the WTC.

I first heard the reports as I was heading back to OC on I-110. As we heard the update about the second plane, it became obvious that this was no accident. We were being attacked.

By the time I got to my daughter's HS to work with the drumline, the third plane had struck the Pentagon, and passengers on UA Flight 93 were in the process of taking their plane down in a PA field, instead of it's intended target in DC.

Within 4 hours of the events in NYC, I had 4 United flight attendants in my living room. They had free access to my phone to let people know they were safe on the ground, and snacks were on me. The other F/A who brought Jan to my house in OC also took a couple of others to safe places. By the time they left LAX, all non-military planes were already grounded, and transoceanic flights were being diverted to the nearest airport.

We stood in my living room wondering what we should do. I had to go to work, but Jan couldn't get home to Las Vegas. Nothing flying, and the car rental agencies got cleaned out pretty fast. We had just had lunch the day before with a couple of other UA employees. He was a mechanic for UAL at LAX, and she was on maternity leave. The smart thing to do was take Jan there where she wouldn't have to be alone.

Our friends were originally from the Bayonne area. They had both worked for UAL for a while. In fact, her Dad is retired from UAL, her Mom is retired from American Airlines. They knew most of the crews on all 4 planes. They still have difficulty talking about it, and can't watch any of the movies, like Flight 93, because 8 years later it's still too soon.

Jan knew seven of the crew members on Flights 93 and 175. While we are well aware of the total loss and devastation to the passengers on the planes and the people in the buildings on the ground, most people forget that flight attendants and pilots were already dying before any planes hit any of their targets. So, while I take a moment to think about the families of the victims at the WTC and Pentagon, I take a little extra time for the crews of the hijacked planes.

The next couple of days were surreal. Nothing flying. (Our friend told us the birds re-occupied LAX.) We could hear military jets flying at night, but couldn't see them because they were flying without navigation lights. Of course, the local and national news were filled with reports from the scenes of the attacks. It was bad enough just being an American at that time, and watching the aftermath of the attacks. As many of us have posted here, it's a whole different level when you personally knew one or more of the victims.

So, remember, celebrate the memories of the lost, never forget the actions of people who choose to live by the sword, and ever be vigilant that it never happens again.

Garry in Vegas

thank you for remembering John and Mike. I know i talked with many members of the Dp family that day ( granted via RAMD) and checked up on others who lived there.

may we never forget

I remember reading a brief news story on-line, very few details, and thinking it was some sort of accident. My husband mentioned the same thing. Then our Internet connection really slowed down, and we couldn't seem to access any web pages. We didn't think much of it, but then my husband turned on NPR, and the reports, still vague, gave me a feeling of unease. We turned on the TV, and still didn't fully grasp what was happening because it seemed to be mostly speculation.

It was a gorgeous day, picture-perfect blue sky -- as we all know -- so I decided to walk to the farmers' market downtown. As I walked past our neighbors' house, they stepped outside and said the Pentagon had just been hit. That's when I got really scared. I turned around and went back inside, and watched the unspeakable horror unfold.

Later, I walked downtown, and high school students were letting out for lunch. One teenage girl turned to me and said, "People at my school said this is the beginning of World War III."

Jan knew seven of the crew members on Flights 93 and 175. While we are well aware of the total loss and devastation to the passengers on the planes and the people in the buildings on the ground, most people forget that flight attendants and pilots were already dying before any planes hit any of their targets. So, while I take a moment to think about the families of the victims at the WTC and Pentagon, I take a little extra time for the crews of the hijacked planes.

For some reason, they're often the first people I think of. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because we don't have video footage of what happened to them, so my imagination went a little crazy thinking about them, trying to imagine what they went through (and I'm sure not coming even remotely close). Thanks for the reminder of people who should not be forgotten.

Edited by byline

I am so pleased to see that this tribute remains a part of us here at DCP. I can remember when I finally finished compiling it, and that after watching it completely through for the first time in final production that the tears were finally able to come. To all that have responded throughout the years, and to those who are new to watching it - Always remember, never forget.

Fran

I am so pleased to see that this tribute remains a part of us here at DCP. I can remember when I finally finished compiling it, and that after watching it completely through for the first time in final production that the tears were finally able to come. To all that have responded throughout the years, and to those who are new to watching it - Always remember, never forget.

Fran

And thank you for putting it together...and thank you to the Scouts.

I and others have the tribute linked on our Facebook profile pages as well Fran. Again, thank you for giving me permission to use your pic as my avatar. It's also my profile pic on FB and has received a few comments. As I said earlier, as long as I am able, that pic will come out at least once a year.

Edited by skajerk

I too have very strong memories of that tragic day: Myself, two other NCOs and one of their spouses were on our way down to the armory, when the supply sergeant's wife called and told us: "An airplane just hit the World Trade Center." My first thought was that it was a tragic accident. I even mentioned when the B-29 hit the Empire State Building back in 1947. A few minutes later she called back with the message "Another plane just hit the other tower." It was then that we knew that we were under attack.

All the rest of the day we watched the tragedy unfold before our eyes. The smoke from the towers, the attack on the Pentagon, and the flight downed by the passangers in a Heroic attempt to stop the murderous rampage. We watched as people jumped from the towers in a vain attempt to escape the flames....and the we watched in horror as first one tower, then the other collapsed. During this time we also fielded calls from people wanting to enlist just so they could take the fight back to those who had so visciously attacked us.

Late in the afternoon, I stepped out onto the front porch. From the front porch, you can see the terminal at SFO, but you could not hear anything...No planes arriving...none taking off...not even a maintenance "turn". Total and complete silence. I had moved near that airport nearly 30 years earlier, and I had never heard it get quiet. As you can probably guess, it was ominous to say the least.

Later, as we drove home, we turned onto 3rd street in San Francisco and found the we were the only people on the road. No other cars, no pedestrians, nobody standing out side at all. It seemed like a post-apocalypse movie, but it was all too real.

• 11 months later...
Hard to believe it's been 7 years.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/911tribute/index.htm

It's now been 9.... I hope everyone will join us and fly their flag today....

This evening we will be with friends at our remembrance services in our town.

Thank you again to Fran (SassyMama) at Quest Graphics Design for putting this 9/11 tribute together. Thank you Madison Scouts for the music....