9/11 Tribute on DCP

9 years now. Wow. The years go by, but the memory of that days horrible acts of cowardly terrorism, and then the acts of absolute bravery and heroism are still quite vivid in my mind.

It was my normal day off work that day from American Airlines, but I went in to help as best I could anyway. I didn't leave work until almost 14 hours later... 0200 the following morning. As the airplanes landed at O'Hare during the day on 9/11 and parked side by side, people came off the planes looking stunned and confused. The airplanes filled every gate and were then moved out to the hangars until it became almost a "parking lot" of airplanes. That night at ORD was absolutely quiet. No sounds - no airplanes taking off or landing. No employees or ramp equipment vehicles running or moving around. No one inside one of the busiest airports in the world.

My heart, mind and soul cannot give enough respect to the brave fire fighters, police, various city and rescue workers, the unknown "regular" people who tried to help, the flight crews who were doing their jobs, and of course all the rest of the absolutely innocent people who lost their lives that day. They were all just going to work, flying on a plane, walking around sightseeing or doing the normal things people do. Strange to think that just a few hours before it all began they were all just living their lives normally, not knowing they were in reality experiencing the last few hours and moments of their lives.

Edited by GGarrett

9 years seems like yesterday. Thanks for bringing this up again. I always get choked up when I see it.

I went looking for the video DCI made showing America/O Canada over images of that day. Found it in the archives, so here's the link for anybody that wants it:

DCI September 11 Tribute

9 years seems like yesterday. Thanks for bringing this up again. I always get choked up when I see it.

I went looking for the video DCI made showing America/O Canada over images of that day. Found it in the archives, so here's the link for anybody that wants it:

DCI September 11 Tribute

That medley is the one that sticks in my bones and jerks tears from my eyes. Nothing like it, and the best they've ever done.

Each of us was affected in different ways, some had friends and family that were lost, others had an emotional loss - regardless of how, who, when and what, it is a time to remember all people lost. As citizens of the world, we should also look at the thousands and thousands lost in Japan due to an American action, thousands lost in Vietnam due to American action. What about Dafur? Our own Katrina fiasco. Haiti.

It's a time to remember all those lost everywhere.

Whoa....please don't forget that I am the one that put the 9/11 tribute together with George and the use of the Madison Scout music. Yes, the tribute is for 9/11, but if we are so tunnel visioned as to not see that millions of other people have lost their lives and homes due to disasters and conflict then we as a humanitarian society are lacking in our compassion.

Out of the people killed on 9/11, 2,669 were American and 310 were foreign nationals. It affected the world.

Whoa....please don't forget that I am the one that put the 9/11 tribute together with George and the use of the Madison Scout music. Yes, the tribute is for 9/11, but if we are so tunnel visioned as to not see that millions of other people have lost their lives and homes due to disasters and conflict then we as a humanitarian society are lacking in our compassion.

Out of the people killed on 9/11, 2,669 were American and 310 were foreign nationals. It affected the world.

Fran, I very much appreciate your tribute, and I'm thankful each year when I reflect on what that day meant to me as an American.

Thank you for the tribute. It's beautiful.

Edited by garfield

I asked it a year ago, but does anyone know if there is a list of drum corps alumni who lost their lives 9 years ago? Or does anyone know of any? KansasDC's post made me wonder this and I think it would be nice as a community to remember them individually.