hazing/misconduct

so I found out about this about an hour ago

Wisconsin Band Suspended

--------

"The University of Wisconsin marching band has been suspended indefinitely while allegations of alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct are investigated.

The band was not allowed to play Saturday during a U.S. college football game between the No. 18 Badgers and No. 14 Ohio State at Camp Randall Stadium.

The university made the announcement at a news conference Friday, saying the behavior..."

--------

The scary thing is that I've heard of corps doing some things like this(recent story of Bluecoats drinking and such).

Feel free to discuss...

Wisconsin Band Suspended

--------

"The University of Wisconsin marching band has been suspended indefinitely..."

Judging from the article it seems as if they've been down this road before. Not commenting on the nature/appropriateness of the students' behavior - but what do they mean when they say the Band has been "suspended?" Is the group barred from performing at university events? Have the students been placed on some sort of probation?

Anyone got any clarifying information?

Wisconsin Band Suspended

--------

"The University of Wisconsin marching band has been suspended indefinitely while allegations of alcohol abuse and sexual misconduct are investigated.

The band was not allowed to play Saturday during a U.S. college football game between the No. 18 Badgers and No. 14 Ohio State at Camp Randall Stadium.

The university made the announcement at a news conference Friday, saying the behavior..."

--------

The scary thing is that I've heard of corps doing some things like this(recent story of Bluecoats drinking and such).

Feel free to discuss...

wait... you mean to tell me that there are drum corps out there drinking???

we might as well change the name to DUMB CORPS HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

wait... you mean to tell me that there are drum corps out there drinking???

we might as well change the name to DUMB CORPS HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Someone will need to clarify for me, because I honestly don't know the details of the story. I'm pretty sure it was more serious than them going out on their free time and drinking(which obviously happens). Something like showing up to a show/retreat/in uniform like drunken idiots or something? (and the rumors fly)

Again, this is something I heard on DCP...so take that for what it's worth.

Someone will need to clarify for me, because I honestly don't know the details of the story. I'm pretty sure it was more serious than them going out on their free time and drinking(which obviously happens). Something like showing up to a show/retreat/in uniform like drunken idiots or something? (and the rumors fly)

My My My have times changed from our Madison meets Blue Devils behind the busses in the 80's..........

Then again it was always Scouts guard and Drums who were the kids to seak out. BD was a blast as was SCV to hang with..... As was VK and also Spirit too.........

• Like 1

It was finals, and it was funny as hell.

There is a bit more information towards the end of the article at the link below:

UW suspends band over hazing charge - Milwaukee JournalSentinel

For what it's worth, the band has had its share of 'conduct' violations over the past five or so years. However, I questions how fair it is to sideline the whole 300+ member band due to the actions of a select few.

However, to stay on topic... The actions described in the article may come as a surprise to some. But, in all honesty, does anyone really want to address how often incidents of this nature really happen in drum corps? Are some corps more prone to incidents of this nature than others? Can you imagine a corps director pulling his corps off of tour for conduct of this nature? Or would you envision only the offending members being kicked out?

Heck, back when I started marching, I didn't even know what hazing was! I just did whatever the vets told me to do because... well, just because! :thumbup:

wow, i can't believe this is news. in my college band we had a smoking bus and all the potheads rode together and hazed it out on the way to performances, and we'd break out kegs and occasionally and get nekkid on the way back home late nights. in other words, we acted like typical college students on a typical weekend. we were discreet and no one made a deal out of it.

• Like 1

It was finals, and it was funny as hell.

Are you kidding me??? :thumbup:

Throwing jolly ranchers = funny

Fake deaths when announced 3rd = funny

Singing 'our god is an awesome god' while marching to retreat = funny

Vomiting on the field and verbal assaulting members of another corps = not funny

Sorry to go there again, but some things cant be ignored.... :smile: