hazing/misconduct

It was finals, and it was funny as hell.

What are you refering to exactly?

That type of behaviour is counter-productive to the overall welfare of any orginization. I agree with a previous poster. Identify the slackers and non-hackers and weed them out. With 300+ members they are easily expendable.

That type of behaviour is counter-productive to the overall welfare of any orginization. I agree with a previous poster. Identify the slackers and non-hackers and weed them out. With 300+ members they are easily expendable.

I understand in punishing those who participated in these activities. But how do you not teach a lesson to those who know about these events and don't stop it from happening. Just because things have been done in the past does not make things right. Anyone that has marched has heard stories some corps or marching band participating in some inappropriate manner. Lets face it, I am somewhat amazed that no corps has been sued yet for some of the stuff that has been done. In recent years many corps have tried to clean up their act and move away from the things done in the past but that is not all corps. It takes one good law suit and any corps could be completely shut down because of it. Rookie talent night is one of the most notorious nights of hazing that exists in drum corps. Don't get me wrong there is fun to be had on tour and vets can make rookies do certain things, but I am saying within reason. Many drum corps members are under the age of 18 and it takes one member or parent to get upset and that could be the end of a corps. any of you that are an educator you know how tough things are for us and how afraid we are of law suits.

Shannon

Must have been something very serious to suspend ALL of the members.

Hazing is wrong, however some people interpret hazing differently than others.

Yeah in some cases people need to "grow some" but when someone is in physical danger due to hazing then that's crossing the line.

IMO

This is a very controversial topic these days so I expect a lot of arguing on this thread.

Must have been something very serious to suspend ALL of the members.

Hazing is wrong, however some people interpret hazing differently than others.

Yeah in some cases people need to "grow some" but when someone is in physical danger due to hazing then that's crossing the line.

IMO

This is a very controversial topic these days so I expect a lot of arguing on this thread.

Agreed, we really need to hear what the alleged hazing was. It may be worth the suspension, or it may not. I remember the list of stuff that some of our student groups couldnt do in college because itd be considered 'hazing', and it was #### near rediculous. One of the ones listed in the article

Younger band members being forced to run errands and refill beer cups for older band members.

would get a lot of groups in trouble if enforced..

Edited by alarson83

I would think at this point of the season (College football) initiations would have already been covered. I can't speak for other corps, but back in the day we had initiations but none that I can remember ever came close to hazing.

During the season a few people made bad choices during laundry or free days. Those people were punished appropriately but the fact that they were sick as a dog the following day and still had to practice was punishment enough.

Rookie Talent, from what I've gathered, basically just needs to be done away with, at least in the corps with most members under 18. I've heard stories of badly handled rookie talent nights with winners being 16 and 17 year old girls getting naked and making out and bus captains screaming in peoples' faces at 3am to wake them up to do their talent when the corps had rehearsal at 8 the next morning... One of my friends from '06 and '07 was telling me about those...

I played bass for the Marshall University pep band the past two years, and at the CUSA basketball tournament in Memphis probably 90% of the members were drinking on Beale St. and those not old enough to drink there just went back to the hotel. Every hotel room we had was full of beer and liquor and both years band members ended up partying with the basketball teams after they got eliminated.

That stuff goes on everywhere. Some places it's just not as big of a deal to people as others.

Edited by KA '76

Agreed, we really need to hear what the alleged hazing was. It may be worth the suspension, or it may not. I remember the list of stuff that some of our student groups couldnt do in college because itd be considered 'hazing', and it was #### near rediculous. One of the ones listed in the article

This article gives a little more information (towards the end) about the band's behavior during a 2006 trip to Michigan. UW Band Suspended Just my personal opinion, but there's no excuse for what they did. Grow up and find a way to have fun without doing things that are so degrading.

I don't know if anyone else heard about it, but there was a high school football team in New Mexico that was recently in trouble for their hazing rituals. Here's the article

The leadership of various groups and teams need to teach these kids at a young age what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. I think most adults can differentiate between what is good, clean fun and what is illegal. At least, I would hope so.

I find this hard to believe! You mean there is drinking and sexual misconduct in college bands? Say it isn't so! Please tell me that the good young people in drum corps don't do this...what a disgrace if they do. Maybe this is a message to end marching bands and drum corps so that our young people can devote their time to school work and helping their parents out at home.

My thoughts about drum corps and marching band have become tainted, what shall I do? Thankfully I don't have a marching band at my school to deal with.

Now to the reality of this.......these are college age kids who drink and have sex anyways....why stop it NOW? We teach them about drugs, alcohol and sex all through their schooling. We all did that too...in high school, in drum corps...it was all around. Now talk to me about OJ getting the axe and that is news.