Floating Stick Trick

Nile

I recently was told about a stick trick done by the Spirit of Atlanta in 1985 where a third stick was manipulated to look as if it were levitating while there were even 16th's going on with the two commonplace sticks. If anyone has any information on this, or was on/instructed the drumline that did this, please send me an E-Mail at hurler13@sbcglobal.net as this would be a great trick for some of the drumlines that I am a part of.

Big thanks!

-Anthony N.

Edited by Nile

I recently was told about a stick trick done by the Spirit of Atlanta in 1986 where a third stick was manipulated to look as if it were levitating while there were even 16th's going on with the two commonplace sticks. If anyone has any information on this, or was on/instructed the drumline that did this, please send me an E-Mail at hurler13@sbcglobal.net as this would be a great trick for some of the drumlines that I am a part of.

Big thanks!

-Anthony N.

I think I remember that from 85....everyone had white sticks, but there was one blue one that kinda floated up and doen the line during the drum solo...

I wasn't there in 1986, but in 1983-1985 Spirit had a 3-stick toss. Is that what you're referring to? It was based on the standard "Anaheim toss", but with a 3rd stick held constant in the left hand.

I wasn't there in 1986, but in 1983-1985 Spirit had a 3-stick toss. Is that what you're referring to? It was based on the standard "Anaheim toss", but with a 3rd stick held constant in the left hand.

Jack is correct, although I thought it was done in 84 and 85 with the third stick. I was unaware of 1983, but Jack marched that year so I'll have to take his word for it. My recollection is that the third stick was yellow, not blue.

Edited by Beau R

Now that I think about it, that toss was added in the 1984 version of We're All Together (drum solo), so it wasn't there in '83. Funny how the years blend together over time :blink:

Yes, sorry about that. I do have my years mixed up. I wasn't aware it happened other than in 1985, however. Did you march Spirit that year?

Yes, sorry about that. I do have my years mixed up. I wasn't aware it happened other than in 1985, however. Did you march Spirit that year?

Yep, I marched in '85 (#2 bass). I think the 3 stick toss was there for about 16 counts in the drum solo in '84, and about 12 counts in the drum solo in the opener in '85. I don't think you can see it in the videos... it was pretty subtle.

The stick toss ( with only 2 ) was in the 1983 version as well, but the 3rd stick was added to 1984 and lasted twice as long, hoping that people would notice it. Too bad it didn't make the video.

I think Tony made up 3 stick toss, he was always great at that kind of stuff.

We started out with 3 white sticks but about half way through the season a judge suggested that we make it interesting with a different color and we picked yellow.

We had concerns that any drop of the white stick would doom one of us to play the rest of the show with one yellow and one white, but at Finals when David dropped, it was the yellow stick that flew.

Edited by Will Sanderson