Going home Yet Again

as with last year's review, this one has the view from stage and later from the outside looking in.

The weekend began on Friday night w/the Westshoremen alumni drumline rehearsing....and missing a bass drum....again :P

We played great tho. Saturday morning, at the Forum at 10, quick warmup, on the stage for run thrus and enesemble. Starts slow, comes together great. This is gonna be fun.

Lunch, then more rehearsal, then, time to do the show.

if you haven't seen, i proposed to Christine last night, so when we got ready, i was becoming a bundle of nerves. fortunately, i had warmups to distract me, and we played great despite a snare drummer being arrested for a parking violation(we left his drum on stage just in case he made it back in time...he didn't). Plus i had Renegades hugging me B)

backstage...the circle...the speech. God, it feels like 1996 again, and holy ####, all the basses are here! some preshow shots of Brut(yes that Brut) and we're off. Hitmen are killing us from backstage...if you havent seen em you must.

and we're up....Westshoremen alumni part 2. we get set up....i look out and nice crowd! i cant see any faces, but i know mom and dad are both here, as well as Christines mom. Poodle and Kay, Liz, Stu, Alisha, Mikey all in the house and everyone else i grew up with in that building.

and it's time. the tap begins, and we're into the beat. My nerves start to calm, and we're in a zone....we are playing ####### clean!

horns are out....America. I look down at the mellos and see Christine, and my god, i start shaking. it doesnt help that behind me Shane and Gary are giving me #### :P

we enter into America and I calm down, and get into a scary zone i only felt once before....finals 96. America is kicking...the basses are nailing everything.....wow it feels good.

Strawberry Soup....starts a little tentative, but it picks up, and holy cow, man this is fun!!! we're grooving like 1995 again! the crowd is going nuts! the big added bass run at the end is top 12 caliber(then again, w/me Gary and Shane you have like 40 years of bass drumming between us)

Blues. Throwndown time and we do...and wow. hornline is wailing...drums are smokin.......Garrett looks like the dm we broke in....unreal.

The beat again to play the horns off, and we're done....already??? No i wanna play more!

Thanks go to: Hoss, Swerv(even if you couldnt be there) TO, Shipman, Tee, Joe, Ferris, Coach, Ken, Kenny, Hoov, Toddie, Stabach, Shane, Randy, Kristi, Jami, John, Karen, Pam,Maria, Andy, Ali, Tracy, Eryn, Kristen and Barb.

Gary and Dustin...thank you for pulling double duty. I know it made your day ####, but welcome to the family. you guys played great.

Carlisle HS, Northen HS, Susquehanna Twp Hs and Northen HS for the equipment.

now...the rest of the show...Bucs alumni, i missed ya...i was kinda busy proposing!

Missed part of Navy for the same reason, but this is the bestthe Navy has sounded in a while...Stansy, jeff, Larry and crew you are doing a great job down there.

Sky alumni...i dont know how many snares you had but oh my god could they play! very fun show..Hava Nagilah rocked, everything you played rocked!

Mighty St Joes also played very well, as i hav come to expect. I missed some of you as i needed a drink, and i was trying to get my nerves back into shape.

Reilly Raiders have become i think my favorite alumni corps. You guys just absolutely kick my ###, and since i never got to see you live, keep up the great work.

Brigs. Phenomenal horn sound. While not one of your biggest fans the last few years, this show i actually could really get into.

But you need a drumline first. I know, you say they all have WGI commitments. Thats cool. but get em in, because that hornline is gorgeous. Great arrangement of Tommy, the ballad is very cool...look goosebump in April cool, and Get It On only needs one more thing....screamers.

Cabs. Much to the chagrin of my friends up there, i have long said you were a drumline away from a win.

you now have one. Oh man do you have one.

This show is classic cabs w/out being rehash, and it has all you need...highs, lows, massive bass parts(check out the rumps folks) and that classic latin feeling. This show will kick your ###.

I can not wait to see this on the move.

it was fun to play for those who saw us, and it was my pleasure to see all who performed after us. 2003 looks to be a great year!

Edited by Jeffsjetta

Jeff,

One more congrats from me on your engagement.

:)

I just wanted to add some thanks that you forgot. Mike stepped in yesterday to play vibes and did a great job. I'd also like to add a thanks to Edu-Care School Supply for the use of their stretch van to help me haul pit equipment. Finally to Ken Smith, Fran Haring, and the others whose names I don't know, thanks for helping with the pit to and from the stage.

I had a blast coordinating the pit for this performance and now realize what a magnificent percussion program I was driving past in '95 and '96. Thanks to Hoss for giving me that chance!

B)

I have got the biggest bruise from playing cymbals that night.

Boy did I have fun - i felt honored to be in black and blue. B)

I said this to some of my friends afterwards, and I will say it again. Cabs performance literally brought me to tears last night. To see one of my kids, who couldn't even play a scale the first year I taught him, to be playing runs at ungodly tempos and playing them clean - I couldn't have been more proud. Boy, am I gonna miss you guys when I'm on tour. It'll be fun to join you guys after I get back.

Oh yes - and Jeff and Christine - even more congrats from me on the engagement. :)

Congrats on your engagement! Oh, and by the way, that we me to said hey to you on the sidewalk by the buses in the afternoon...in case you didn't remember. :P

I hope the fact that the Cabs have an outstanding percussion section with Gary Gill as the captionhead is not a surprise to anyone.

I wish Gary and all the rest the best of luck, please tell him I miss him.

Teddy

Empire Percussion staff

i knew...i wqas just lost in my own world Saturday.....i was so wrapped up in the ring thing i was like a zombie at times :P

you guys rocked dude!

Thanks man! It's been just shy of 10 years since I've been on that stage. Felt like never left.