Bushwackers Hall of Fame

DMCK

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATS MARIE YOU DESERVE IT YOU A TRUE Bushwacker

Thank you to everyone who has posted on the Bush HOF topic. Your comments are very much appreciated. We have 27 years to work with, and many worthy Bushwackers to nominate, so we are very happy to start this year.

John, when you're inducted as a member of the '86 corps, will you be wearing the same tuxedo you wore on the podium when you guys won the DCA title that year? :tongue:

Seriously..... congrats to all of the inaugural Bush Hall of Fame inductees!!!!!!

Fran

Congratulations to all of the inductees!

You are very deserving of this great honor!

It should be a very exciting night at this year's Bush Ball!!

I still remember when Mike O. told me about "this new corps that he was starting".

It's hard to believe that it's been 27 years!!!

Wishing you much continued success!!!

...Jimmy

rotate-old.gif

The Bushwackers Drum & Bugle Corps is proud to announce the inaugural class of the Bushwackers Hall of Fame!

---

With 27 years of history in the books, the corps has begun to organize an effort to reconnect with the alumni who have built the corps we have today. Many amazingly talented and wonderful people have called themselves "Bushwackers" over the years, so a committee was formed in the early spring with the mission of finding a way to properly thank those alumni who have gone above and beyond...those members who exemplify what it means to be a Bushwacker...those individuals, sections, and groups who have lived our corps philosophy and have inspired new generations of Bushwackers to take the torch and hold it high...just like they did.

Today we are pleased to announce to the drum corps world the names of the inaugural class of the Bushwackers Hall of Fame - 2008. Please join me in congratulating the following Bushwackers:

• Marie Kaminek (member, baritone)
  • David Kapp (member, administrator, staff)
  • Scott Marshman (color guard member and staff)
  • Jay Morlot (member and corps director)
  • Mike Olszewski (corps founder)
  • Fred Oltarzewski (percussion instructor)
  • Mary Snyder (member, administrator)
  • Scott Yuppa (member, bass drum)
  • and the 1986 Bushwackers Drum & Bugle Corps (first ever win, first of 6 world championships)

The Hall of Fame Class of 2008 will be honored at the annual Bush Ball on November 29th. If you are an alumnus or friend and would like information on the event, please contact Mary Snyder at msnyder@bushwackers.org. Brief biographies will become available after the event on our corps website at www.bushwackers.org.

Congratulations, Class of 2008!!!

---

The Bushwackers are currently accepting members for the 2009 season. We're coming off a great 08 season that featured an incredible program and a driven drum corps that built up incredible momentum and finished the season strong. The corps is looking to build on that momentum in 09.

If you are looking for a place to march that will teach you, push you, and show you a great time while doing it...the Bushwackers are the corps for you. Visit us on the web at www.bushwackers.org, or simply email us at membership@bushwackers.org.

OPEN HOUSE!

The Bushwackers will be hosting its annual Open House and First Rehearsal on Sunday, November 30th from 11am-5pm. Registration is $25, and all you have to bring is yourself and an instrument (if possible). There are no audition requirements for the Bushwackers except for heart, desire, and determination. Come spend the day with us and see what we're all about.

Directions to Elizabeth High School-Edison House in Elizabeth, NJ can be found on the web by clicking HERE. Any questions? Email us at membership@bushwackers.org or fill out our online form at www.bushwackers.org

glad to see scott yuppa listed as an inductee.had the pleasure of meeting him,in 89 steel city.he marched that 1 year with us,due to a job transfer,i believe.THE best bass drummer i ever heard,and an incredibly motivated guy. God rest his soul. we were lucky to have him,even for just one season.he always seemed to be the first drummer on the rehearsal field,and the last one,off the field! and when he WASNT on the field,practicing,as "steelcityrabbit" said: "when he wasnt on the field,rehearsing,his PANTS were"!! congrats to all the inductees! :tongue:

One can nominate a group...a section like the 90 drum line or a particular version of the corps like the 1986 World Champion Bushwackers...or one can nominate an individual.

The idea was simply to put together a way to acknowledge those who have made significant contributions to the Bushwackers. Drum corps is the ultimate team sport, and the concept of team is something that is deeply rooted in the Bushwackers approach to drum corps and show design. Every now and then, however, you have to stop and say "thank you"...and acknowledge the collective efforts of the individuals who have worked hard to help create one of the most unique and successful all-age corps to ever take the field.

This is our way of thanking our own.

PS, to all you Bush Alums out there reading this and thinking "hey...what about X? He/she/it deserves consideration!"

Well...you're right. They should...and you should be the one to tell the committee why.

First of all, every Bush Alum is invited to this year's Bush Ball on November 29th where we will induct the HOF class of 2008. The committee will have a streamlined, easy to fill out form so that you can make your voice heard. Nominations for the class of 2009 begin that very night.

Secondly, we will be creating a Hall of Fame area of the website (with brief bios, pictures, etc). On that page will be a PDF form that you can fill out and mail in, OR you can use the nifty, handy-dandy webform that we will have available. All of this should be ready before the end of this calendar year.

Nominations for the class of 2009 will be accepted through Labor Day 2009. At that point the committee will meet, and the class of 2009 will be selected.

There will be a lot more information for the Bush Alums out there coming shortly. Keep your eyes on DCP and the popular Bush Boards for news and announcements.

Now, back to your conversations. I love hearing other people's accounts of the lives and contributions of our Hall of Famers.

Congratulations to the first class of Bush HOF! All those selected are more than deserving, although I do have to question that last guy.....86 Bush?

C'mon do you have to rub that one in forever?!?

:smile:

The 1st thought I had when I saw the thread title was, "they should put the entire '86 corps in". :worthy:

That is a way cool thing to do. :worthy:

Congrats to all inducted, especially Scott Yuppa, just as Hairbear stated, one hell of a good guy, sadly missed. :smile:

And Dan's right, do you have to rub it in forever? :tongue::worthy::worthy:

Hey Fran! Sorry for the late response. The good news is I still have the old tuxedo. The bad news is, well... you know. But the tie still fits! Seriously, if I even could fit into it, I'd be shooting some eyes out with the exploding buttons!

Thank you Hairbear and Steelcityrabbit for your kind words regarding Scott Yuppa. He is still missed. The Bushwackers Member of the Year award is named after Scott. We hope to have his family at the Bush Ball and accept his HOF award on his behalf.

Lot's of good things happening in Bushwackerland. Hope everyone else is doing as well. Take care.

John Gough