A rehearsal to remember!

This past sunday I attended the Steel City Alumni rehearsal. I had the honor of playing lead sop between two of drum corps all time greats, Curt Hawkins and Riggie Laus. I first met both of them as wide eyed 14 year old trying to cut 3rd sop in 1976, that's 32 years ago. Curt was soloist and Riggie taught the line.

Funny, you don't see Curt making the same post about playing next to you Rabbit. :tongue:

Seriously, that sounds like it would have been pretty cool.

Funny, you don't see Curt making the same post about playing next to you Rabbit. :tongue:

Seriously, that sounds like it would have been pretty cool.

Dan,

A very minor point....

I saw in your sig a reference to the Chambersburg show on July 25. When I hit the link, the advertisement says July 26th.

That Saturday is the 25th.

Andy

Hey John,

Was Curt playing solo on baritone or soprano when you first met him.?.?.?.? I'm sure that you are aware that Mr Hawkins started on a baritone horn.... If I remember hearing correctly, Riggi is still teaching GBV street corps..... I agree with Dan, a soloist for the Marines Drum & Bugle Corps is a super honor in itself for you Mr. Rabbit.....

Just my $.02 worth

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

Hey John,

Was Curt playing solo on baritone or soprano when you first met him.?.?.?.? I'm sure that you are aware that Mr Hawkins started on a baritone horn.... If I remember hearing correctly, Riggi is still teaching GBV street corps..... I agree with Dan, a soloist for the Marines Drum & Bugle Corps is a super honor in itself for you Mr. Rabbit.....

Just my $.02 worth

Pgh Guy Bari 2

Extraordinaire

John G

He was playing bari, but during the winter rehearsals leading into the '76 season, he would pick up a sop and scream double "C"'s. Needless to say, he was moved to soprano. Bob Chiprean, AKA Chip, moved from lead sop to bari.

I think you are right, Riggie is teaching the Vagabond street corps.

Dan,

A very minor point....

I saw in your sig a reference to the Chambersburg show on July 25. When I hit the link, the advertisement says July 26th.

That Saturday is the 25th.

Andy

Looks like last year's flyer ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

This past sunday I attended the Steel City Alumni rehearsal. I had the honor of playing lead sop between two of drum corps all time greats, Curt Hawkins and Riggie Laus. I first met both of them as wide eyed 14 year old trying to cut 3rd sop in 1976, that's 32 years ago. Curt was soloist and Riggie taught the line.

Anytime you get to sit in at a rehearsal with Curt it's an honor....Great player better member...

I too had the same privilege as Rabbit sitting between the two greats this past Sunday. Riggie was my childhood idol, and by the way still is, and Curt amazes us all with his mastery of the horn. How lucky can I be?

Thanks for all the kind words but ........ the honor was all mine to be able to sit with all my good friends (Rabbit and Sweeney especially) and play for the afternoon. :thumbup:

What you have to realize is that all of your talent kept me and to this day keeps me pushing myself to keep up my chops. I want to thank you all for that.

As for Riggie :devil: ..... he was my first horn instructor in Drum Corps and to this day still amazes me with his talent. I could sit and listen to him play his horn and talk drum corps for hours.

John (PGH GUY) I played bari in 75 and moved to sop in 76. As Rabbit stated Bob Chiprean moved to bari in 76, and also Riggie didn't want to have a bari spot open and told me the only way I could move to sop was to get someone to fill my bari spot.

Mike Ryan .... thanks for the kind words as well .... when you have good friends around you it makes it very easy to be a good member.