Magnificent Yankees

Anyone have info on the Magnificent Yankees? I noticed that they only made World Open finals once in 1973 and competed in US Open once (not a finalist). I remember them being a powerhouse in NY AL Championships. I also remember they played "Hill Where The L:ord Hides." So any other memories? Staff? Members? etc?

• Like 3

All good memories from the Utica bunch. I think it was '63 when they made the top 5 at Am Legion Nat'l in Florida. Then 64 and 65 were good years for them state wide (but not on a Nat'l level - although they came in 13th in Chicago VFW in 65). In 66 at the prelims at Roosevelt Stadium (VFW) they were actually pretty awesome. The crowd loved them and I thought they beat us (St. Joes) but somehow they got shafted. Circus theme was good for them.

The people in general from The Yankees were a great bunch of guys! They were dedicated (as were their fans that followed them), hard working and determined when they were on the field. I always enjoyed watching them!!

Anyone have info on the Magnificent Yankees? I noticed that they only made World Open finals once in 1973 and competed in US Open once (not a finalist). I remember them being a powerhouse in NY AL Championships. I also remember they played "Hill Where The L:ord Hides." So any other memories? Staff? Members? etc?

They also made WO Finals in 65 as well at the VFW Nats in 65 (Chicago), when they expanded to 15 finalists. When I was in the Bpt. PAL we would run into them a few times a year - nice corps ... pleasent show ... they placed 16th in 64 (Cleveland) at the VFW and 15th in 66 (Jersey City) at the VFW ... the Upstate Crew will have to inform us on their instructors ...

:-)

They also made WO Finals in 65 as well at the VFW Nats in 65 (Chicago), when they expanded to 15 finalists. When I was in the Bpt. PAL we would run into them a few times a year - nice corps ... pleasent show ... they placed 16th in 64 (Cleveland) at the VFW and 15th in 66 (Jersey City) at the VFW ... the Upstate Crew will have to inform us on their instructors ...

I think that some of the folks that worked with them were Mike DiMeo, Art Nelson and Bud Floyd....a really nice, tight, drum corps from Upstate NY. I think they played The Virginian for an opener one year, what a different kind of start to a show.

I think that some of the folks that worked with them were Mike DiMeo, Art Nelson and Bud Floyd....a really nice, tight, drum corps from Upstate NY. I think they played The Virginian for an opener one year, what a different kind of start to a show.

Or was it the Starlighters??? memory fade. We had a couple of guys from MY that marched with us in Phoenix. I think Butch Guarno and Frank Fontaine were from there. The guys could play.

Or was it the Starlighters??? memory fade. We had a couple of guys from MY that marched with us in Phoenix. I think Butch Guarno and Frank Fontaine were from there. The guys could play.

Just realized that they went to the AL Nats in Maimi in 63 and placed 5th behind the NJ contingency of BS, Garfield, St. Lucy's and the Muchachos ... some other tunes they played in the 60's were Col Bogey March, Rhapsody in Blue, Barnum & Bailey and St. Louis Blues ... pretty contemporary drumline from what I remember ...

two demerits for mr. reese

Virginian was Frankfurt Starlighters and Corky and Gebby

Bud Floyd was the only director Utica ever had as far as I know. He was one of my mentors when I was learning to become a judge... All jokes aside, Bud knew more about American Flag Etiquette than ANYONE in the country.

the list of x Yankees who came to DCA Corps after those strong mid-60's years was impressive...

My favorite has to be Joe Wormworth... and yes, Mr. Mike DiMeo was impressive... even as a kid...

weren't all those wonderful arrangements with all those NOTES from the pen of Joe Buncie? I tell you - that horn line played tough stuff - right up there with St. Andrews and Argonne... nothing was watered down... that circus music was unbelievably hard and appropriately exciting... PT Barnum knew what would excite the people...

two demerits for mr. reese

Virginian was Frankfurt Starlighters and Corky and Gebby

Bud Floyd was the only director Utica ever had as far as I know. He was one of my mentors when I was learning to become a judge... All jokes aside, Bud knew more about American Flag Etiquette than ANYONE in the country.

the list of x Yankees who came to DCA Corps after those strong mid-60's years was impressive...

My favorite has to be Joe Wormworth... and yes, Mr. Mike DiMeo was impressive... even as a kid...

weren't all those wonderful arrangements with all those NOTES from the pen of Joe Buncie? I tell you - that horn line played tough stuff - right up there with St. Andrews and Argonne... nothing was watered down... that circus music was unbelievably hard and appropriately exciting... PT Barnum knew what would excite the people...

Au Contrare my friend Tom,

I could be wrong but I will take my demerit back because if you read my second post, you will see that I stated that it might have been Frankfort. And BTW, I could be wrong again but wasn't it Longdo that did the hornline that played The Virginian???