Magnificent Yankees

I don't even remember Brad teaching Frankfurt... 64 & 65 was Gebby and Corky

did they start earlier than that and have Brad? If they did he was real busy because we had him almost every weekend in Fulton in 62, 63 & 64

• Like 1

I almost positive that Eddie is correct about the Virginian as Brad Longdo.s arrangement. Mike (HIS SON) comes on here once in awhile maybe he can share if he knows.

Yeah Butchie Guarno from Utica...once of the best pure lead baritones you will hear. And Frankie Avalon on lead sop...Eddie called him Frank Fontaine. Real name Leogrande! Great lead...moved right in next to me, boots and Bargy at Phoenix.

Lots of Italian kids in the Utica corps...Artie Nelson drum lines were national level.

Donny

Utica was one of my favorite NYS junior corps. I agree with everyone on the difficulty of the horn book and the talent of the players. Some great soprano soloists (DiMeo was the only one I knew by name). Was Guarno the baritone soloist who played the concert solo which went up to a double G...forever!!?

They also had a wailing french horn line in 1965. The uniforms were some quality threads and unusual design for the day...black, red, and white with a V design motif and silver threads in the black pants added sparkle. Black shoes instead of the more common white bucks. The corps was a class act. In the early to mid sixties I seem to recall they were all-male which was another unusual aspect for upstate NY drum corps.

Edited by Geneva

• 7 years later...

I marched with the MY from 1960-1966 French horn line...I read somewhere that the baritone solo was done by someone else it was Marty Ishia who did the triple G he was an awesome player

I believe we beat St Joes 4 times in 64-65 and they beat us several times as far as the Kingsmen I believe we met them twice and beat them both times...... 64 was the peak year AL champs NY-Canadian champs and Hudson Berkshire champs was a fun year but I would definitely give the top dog in NY to St Joes they were a pretty tight corps

They also made WO Finals in 65 as well at the VFW Nats in 65 (Chicago), when they expanded to 15 finalists. When I was in the Bpt. PAL we would run into them a few times a year - nice corps ... pleasent show ... they placed 16th in 64 (Cleveland) at the VFW and 15th in 66 (Jersey City) at the VFW ... the Upstate Crew will have to inform us on their instructors ...

:-)

1965 World Open:

Last junior WO in Bridgeport Ct, Magnificent Yankees did a great job. Remember them very well. Had some heavy hitters in that horn line.

Little old Bridgeport had three corps in Finals, St Raphael's Buccaneers in third, Conn Royal Lancers in sixth and the Bridgeport PAL in seventh.

Great memories.

Elphaba :flower:

yes we had a good horn line up until 66 and then most of us got drafted lol I think the corps kind of slipped away after that... it was a shame we didn't have a feeder corps to keep it going. Lots of talent Mike Dimaeo..... Carmen Purtrello,,,,Marty Ishia,,,,,John Grotevant.....some of these guys have gone on to be professionals really fun 6 years of my life

our instructors were Joe Buncie and Dick Robelatto Joe Wormworth drum line my mind leaves me about M&M it was a combination of serveral guys

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't Frank Tucci work the horn line also?