2009 Shows?

PrfctTimeOfDay

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a show we're putting out this year! You'll have to come see it though. We're not announcing it yet :-x

i'm thrilled to report that east coast designer jerry corradino is staging south shore drill team's open class guard's 2009 production titled "yes we can" using the music,"thunder" from "nuttin but string's" and will feature president elect obama's acceptance speech layered over the soundtrack.the open guard will consist of between 22 and 24 performers.mr. corradino is assisted by katie armstrong formerly of st. ann's [soundtrack construction and execution] and john leonard of "blast" and "the cadets" on movement and weapon tech.

you can see the fantastic south shore drill team at the indy,dayton and nashville regionals as well as mid-west color guard circuit.

i need to credit and applaud the wonderful work and tireless dedication of director arthur robertson and his assistant coran smith and also mention fellow staff members cedric nicholson,raphael warner,kevin ray,michael borum,stella natufe and demarco small who all help "make the magic happen" at the south shore drill team! :ph34r:

chicago's mayor richard m. daley proudly refers to the south shore drill team "one of the most influential youth orginizations in the city"! :mat:

what you may not know is that the south shore drill team was originally founded by it's visionary current director and former chicago public school teacher arthur robertson back in 1980 as an alternative to gang activity,dropping out of high school and teenage pregnancy.starting with 4 members 28 years ago it has now grown to over 300 plus.emphasising the importance of education the orginization prides themselves on consistantly maintaining a high school graduation rate of 99.5% and most all of those students go on to succeed at prep schools,college and university.

the SSDT team includes a impressive cadet division that always steals the show and a talented girls guard featuring "the ladies of south shore".in addition to winter guard and parades they also present staged theatrical performances that delight,amaze and entertain.

first and foremost this group is about promoting self esteem,setting goals,encouraging teamwork and creating the opportunity for travel.

fun facts:did you know that the south shore drill team has been featured in a gucci fashion show,appeared in "ferris bueler's day off",performed all over the country and beyond including a 2005 tour of morocco?

i must tell you that they absolutely stunned the crowds this year at chicago's popular annual bud billiken day parade with a powerful anti-gun violence statement performed to marvin gaye's classic "what's goin on".let me just say that this was one of the most courageous unconventional public performances i have seen in recent memory,leaving a profound and lasting effect on me and i'm pretty sure all of those fortunate enough to have seen it!

i firmly beleive the SSDT could and should teach a master class on cultivating and maintaing unique character,personality,style and identity in an activity who seems to have forgotten those essential components.

in closing the south shore drill team have won the hearts of thousands of fans,won countless awards and championships throughout the years and they remain a fantastic ensemble comprised of committed and talented individuals who demonstrate passion,entertainment and excellence!

don't miss them! :tongue:

p.s. i hope to report on their A guard soon!

Edited by dugg

Alright. . .now this is what i'm talking about! ;-)

from wgi.org

Zydeco Colorguard from Dayton, OH presents their 2009 program: "in evening's stillness we shall stare upon the storm"

Set to the music of Joseph Schwantner, who is known for his dramatic and unique style and as a gifted orchestral colorist, Zydeco will bring his musical storm to life. Schwantner has served on the faculties of The Juilliard School, Eastman School of Music, and the Yale School of Music, simultaneously establishing himself as a sought after composition instructor. Schwantner's compositional career has been marked by many awards, grants, and fellowships, including the Pulitzer Prize in 1979 and several Grammy nominations.

His compositions feature extensive use of percussion in the scoring, offering a new voice to the percussion section, as well as virtuosic challenges that were new to the percussion players- all of which lend themselves to the unique sound of Joseph Schwantner's compositions. Paired with the use of non-standard "time frame" notation, Schwantner helped re-invent what music could look, sound and feel like.

Although he has been principally influenced by George Crumb, Messiaen and Debussy, his music is at once identifiable by its luminous, bewitching sounds, chords of equal intervals and unusual effects.

One of his most well-known pieces, "in evening’s stillness", is considered by many to be one of the more important works of the modern wind ensemble repertoire. The composition was inspired by the following verse of poetry:

In evening’s stillness

a gentle breeze,

distant thunder

encircles the silence.

Zydeco’s design team members look to a new direction for their artistic programming this season with a theory of embracing the storm rather than sheltering from it; celebrating the intense dynamic it brings, and much like the music - finding beauty in its powerful and unknown plan.

The 30 members of Zydeco Colorguard will be performing their 2009 production at the Dayton and Indianapolis Power Regionals, as well as the WGI World Championships in April.

For more details about Zydeco please visit us on the web atwww.zydecocolorguard.com.

Blessed Sac 2009 - Love Trust Commitment

Description found online

Remember the first time you saw Blessed Sacrament perform...

There is a storage room in a parish hall in Cambridge.

Step inside and you will see flag poles of bronze and silver eagle heads.

Some draped with American legion or VFW banners.

You'll find rifles with leather straps and triggers.

Sabres and scabbards...shakos and plumes...boots and gloves.

Guitars, Taxi Cabs, hoola-hoops and a telephone.

Portraits of Marilyn Monroe and Humphrey Bogart.

Then there are shelves full of trophies and plaques.

Some dating as far back as the 1930's and 40's

You'll feel like you are rummaging through an attic of a rooming house home to a drill team turned colorguard now signing up for it's 64th year.

One that has delivered 29 consecutive WGI performances, and has ranked in the top five 16 times out of the past 23 years.

A cadet guard, a prep guard, a celebrated World Guard and proud alumni.

Generations of Love, Trust and Commitment.

as seen on "the light brigade" webpage........

announcing their 2009 program "i am the drum".

i am the drum

the whole universe revolves around rhythm

everthing and every human action revolves in rhythm

in existence for an impressive 32 years the light brigade will perform to an original score with show design by lacarey hurley.director shelia henderson.

i also understand randy nelson [former director of wgi and chotaw h.s.] has joined the team! :tongue:

as seen on "the light brigade" webpage........

announcing their 2009 program "i am the drum".

i am the drum

the whole universe revolves around rhythm

everthing and every human action revolves in rhythm

in existence for an impressive 32 years the light brigade will perform to an original score with show design by lacarey hurley.director shelia henderson.

i also understand randy nelson [former director of wgi and chotaw h.s.] has joined the team! :smile:

INTERESTING..I wonder how his other florida HS guards he writes for reacted to his situation...I wonder if he is also with North East Ind. still. :tongue:

reunited and it feels so good! :tongue:

according to the vanguard news letter the venerable team that created a decade of beloved programs for the emerald marquis winter guard have all been reunited at SCV for the 2009 winter season! :smile:

these talented individuals are major players in the world of pageantry and they include,denise bonfiglio,johnatan vanderkolff,carol abahotab,jim moore and greg lagola.

Edited by dugg

reunited and it feels so good! :tongue:

according to the vanguard news letter the venerable team that created a decade of beloved programs for the emerald marquis winter guard have all been reunited at SCV for the 2009 winter season! :smile:

these talented individuals are major players in the world of pageantry and they include,denise bonfiglio,johnatan vanderkolff,carol abahotab,jim moore and greg lagola.

wouldnt that be just adding greg to the list, as everyone else on the team has been there since the first year just a couple years back?