DCPI-11 Season Discussion

Congratulations to Kosmos... I don't know how you do it!

Well, thus concludes a bittersweet season (mostly sweet). On one hand, this was the third time in just two seasons that a Glory of Music corps won Quarters/Prelims or Semis but couldn't hold on at Finals (and the second season in a row Polaris won Semis but slipped on Saturday). And it was a bit of a bummer to see all three corps slide out of medal contentions.

But, on the bright side, XI was an even more successful season than X, with all three Glory of Music corps being contenders virtually wire-to-wire. Plus, after two seasons (both live AND generated) Glory of Music is now 5 for 5 not only for finals finishes, but no GOM corps has finished lower than 6th.

We'll reload over the next couple of months and hope to put the pressure on again in Season XII. :thumbdown:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say that the returning Potomac River Knights made a very successful return to DCP-I this year. Emerging from barely competing for a semifinal spot to making it with points to spare.

Mr. Smith, Corps Director Stated, "I'm happy to see where this show took us. It was a semi-bold one but it was also one that helped put away a chapter the staff wanted to forget."

Then he took on a more serious note, "I do not know of all the hoopla. I did hear through the grape-vine of a director taking a once great organization and then leaving because they felt shafted from their placement. Things never work out for many but none have left the field after raising such a huge stink over it. I guess I should be relieved since the corps and myself won't have to deal with a bunch of thugs in the a former great corps. However I am, though hesitantly, hoping for the original director of that corps to return and right that ship. On that note, we should be announcing our "live" season show withing the next 2 weeks. The staff and I have made our choices and are picking between the multiple shows we have in front of us. Talk to you all soon."

Congratulations to Kosmos... I don't know how you do it!

Usually involves staring at several pages of spreadsheets with years of DCI score data, consuming several beers, then feeding the whole kit'n'kaboodle (including the beers) into a Cray X3 :thumbup:

Er, wait....

Sorry- I have been instructed by my legal team to amend that statement to say "Darts and a blindfold". Um, yeah- that's how we do it!

Many of you may remember a corps I once managed called the Lake Woebegon Crusaders. They had a great run in division 3, winning 2 titles in 3 seasons before moving up to div 2. Unfortunately, they floundered after a couple seasons in div 2 and eventually went inactive around season 7 after their highly-hyped "Snakes on a Field" show turned out to be a competitive flop (true story!)

Since that time, they've largely been out on their own, doing local events and such. There was talk that they'd participate in CLASS, but they were never able to make anything materialize with that.

Today I got an email from their director, Gary Kellor, telling me that a mystreious fire had broken out at their corps hall. Despite the best efforts of the local police (3 deputies, a K9 dog and a moose), the corps hall was totally destroyed. While there was not much equipment inside (much of it already having been sold off to other groups), the hall itself and its history are lost. :thumbup:

The only clue police found was this card left among the rubble:

Phantom13.jpg

While there's not much to go on, it does indicate arson. Who'd want to torch a fantasy corps hall, I'm not sure, but I'm pulling for my former organization as they struggle through these difficult times. I know Minnesota could definitely use another high-caliber fantasy corps back on the field to represent the state alongside Minnesota Madness- whether that has any shot of happening now is uncertain.

Today I got an email from their director, Gary Kellor, telling me that a mystreious fire had broken out at their corps hall.

Freudian slip, or clever typo? :thumbup:

Edited by hostrauser

Probably a typo.