DCA to DCI

Ooops, I was wondering where my post went in that thread, I meant for my topic to be the opposite, DCI to DCA.

I would think MBI would have a chance.

Many good bands in MN

Many members under or around the 21 mark

MBI now has a winter guard and drumline (also drumline for the Vikings)

But, I doubt it. Then again, never say never!

OT'ish:

Back in the 70's DCA old-timers used to call the great Sunriser corps "DCI wannabees", due to the advanced show designs and music they used. While meant as a negative disparaging sort of comment, it actually was, at least to me, a positive statement about the quality of the Sunrisers of that era...a GREAT corps.

T'ish:

I think the reason some of the DCA corps with a lot of young folks are as successful as they are is because they provide a high competitive experience for young folks who can not afford the time and $$$ of a DCI touring corps, so I hope DCA corps remain as-is.

I just don’t see a DCA to DCI move as realistic.

While I can postulate motives for a DCI to DCA move, most of which would include some component of lowering costs, I can’t develop any realistic motives for a DCA to DCI move.

And think of this; a corps would be turning its back on its entire over-21 membership if it moved into DCI. Assuming you were an over-21 member of a corps, would you vote yourself out of marching? For what benefit? (This assumes that the operation of today’s senior corps is at least somewhat similar to my day. Specifically, the membership has a much larger voice in the direction of the corps than it would in junior corps.)

I'll bet that about 90% of Bucs are under 21 - got this from a very reliable source- and could make the move. But many of the present membership march DCA for specific reasons i.e. tour costs, responsibilities at home etc. From a music, visual and percussion point of view, only Bucs. But I just don't see that happening any time at all and I don't anyone in Reading have talked about it.

All of the above statements are of course my own opinions and do not reflect the position or statements of the Reading Buccaneers.

I don't have the numbers with me, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that there are way more than 12.8 members of the 2008 Buccaneers who were over 21. There are a good number of members who are in their late 20s and 30s -- a number in their 40s and even a horn player in his 50s (which makes it all the more impressive, IMHO, what all-age corps can achieve from a demand standpoint).

It's true that many, many DCA corps have many members who are DCI-eligible for the reasons MikeD mentioned.

We've not discussed moving to DCI.

And think of this; a corps would be turning its back on its entire over-21 membership if it moved into DCI. Assuming you were an over-21 member of a corps, would you vote yourself out of marching? For what benefit? (This assumes that the operation of today’s senior corps is at least somewhat similar to my day. Specifically, the membership has a much larger voice in the direction of the corps than it would in junior corps.)

People "in the know" more than me can elaborate on this...but I think (note: think) that it was the membership of the Chieftains that voted to form the Lehigh Valley Knights div III DCI corps and stop performing themselves.

People "in the know" more than me can elaborate on this...but I think (note: think) that it was the membership of the Chieftains that voted to form the Lehigh Valley Knights div III DCI corps and stop performing themselves.

I've been told that by the Chieftain's last competitive season during the summer of 1999, a large majority of the membership was under 21 years old. The BoD decided (I doubt many corps, even in DCA, allow their membership to vote on the direction their corps takes) to suspend the Chieftain's competitive corps and allocate their resources to forming a junior corps. Since so much of their membership was HS students, they viewed it as a fairly logical step. Sometime in 2000, the Lehigh Valley Knights was born and began doing parades. The corps fielded a competitive, DCI DivIII corps from 2001-2004, making finals once (in an era where you pretty much had to be in the top 3 of a field of 30ish DivIII corps to make finals), semifinals three times, and claiming best colorguard twice(ish). The Lehigh Valley Knights folded during the winter of 2005 when the small BoD decided they no longer wanted to put in the logistical efforts to field a DCI corps.

Originally, the corps' staff and volunteers comprised a number of Chieftains who were overage. As the corps matured and progressed competitively, their involvement diminished. Despite this, as late as 2003 the Chieftains senior corps still formed and marched alongside the Lehigh Valley Knights in parades as a fundraiser (twice the corps, twice the pay).

(edited to answer the question more clearly)

Edited by vaguardguy

.....And think of this; a corps would be turning its back on its entire over-21 membership if it moved into DCI. Assuming you were an over-21 member of a corps, would you vote yourself out of marching?......

I think that I know what you mean. It's like trying to convince a turkey to vote for Thanksgiving. :thumbdown: