DCA to DCI

In the spirit of a thread that a began on the DCA forum (reversed), does anyone think that a DCA corps would ever "cross over" and become a DCI junior corps? Those of you that know the DCA activity; which corps would be the best/most likely fit to switch?

Even if it means the corps switching from Open Class in DCA to Open Class in DCI (two different divisions in their respective organizations), what are your ideas? They can be serious, or just for fun!

GO!

WOW! That's a tough question - a REALLY tough question. Since DCA has no age-out restriction I don't think that anyone knows the average age of any particuliar corps. If I had to guess (and it's only a guess) I would say that the Reading Bucs probably have the youngest corps. But I don't think that any of the corps have a desire to go DCI for two reasons. One is the age restriction and the other is the added (much added) cost. :thumbdown:

If I have my facts correct, Kilties were DCI, went inactive, reformed as an Alumni group, then went competitive.

That's a great question.... I know that the Brigs have discussed in the recent past (nothing more than a quick comment to pick peoples brain) the idea of trying to convert to a DCI div 3 equivalent corps. There is a large group of professional musicians and teachers in our area that would welcome a DCI age corps but still want to resist DCA. In 2008, roughly 68% of our corps was under 21 and in 2009 I would expect that number to be closer to 80% based on our methods of recruiting. While it may be a great move for the corps in terms of a recruiting standpoint and local support standpoint, the big issue is really the financial ability to make it happen. And the ability of people involved to do the mini-tour. Although I think it is reaonable to think that a DCA corps would switch circuits, it is very unlikely. I think that the current model of DCA groups training kids for DCI is going to be the norm for years to come.

in 1997 the Westshormen Senior corps actually fielded the Westshormen Cadets and they competed in DCI Div II or III at finals that year.

Also I believe the DCA Chieftans were the parent organization of the Lehigh Valley Knights which competed in DCI Div II for a number of years. I believe the chieftans ceased to exist when LVK came into being so in essence this was a DCA corps becoming a DCI corps.

That's a great question.... I know that the Brigs have discussed in the recent past (nothing more than a quick comment to pick peoples brain) the idea of trying to convert to a DCI div 3 equivalent corps. There is a large group of professional musicians and teachers in our area that would welcome a DCI age corps but still want to resist DCA. In 2008, roughly 68% of our corps was under 21 and in 2009 I would expect that number to be closer to 80% based on our methods of recruiting. While it may be a great move for the corps in terms of a recruiting standpoint and local support standpoint, the big issue is really the financial ability to make it happen. And the ability of people involved to do the mini-tour. Although I think it is reaonable to think that a DCA corps would switch circuits, it is very unlikely. I think that the current model of DCA groups training kids for DCI is going to be the norm for years to come.

I think there is a trend in DCA for there to be more and more younger members. Several of the top corps in both divisions have very young membership. But to keep things on topic...

I could see... Buccaneers being successful at the Open Class or World Class level.

I believe Fusion Core and I KNOW Alliance had young membership last year. Both have show designs that would be successful at the DCI (and apparently the DCA) level.

I see, in general, the difference between DCI and DCA becoming less and less over the years. Especially with the economic situation, people will choose to stay more local when participating in drum corps. Thus, leaving opportunity for groups like the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown the chance to surge... as well as corps like Corpsvets, Alliance, Fusion Core, and the Bucs to grow.

I think there is a trend in DCA for there to be more and more younger members. Several of the top corps in both divisions have very young membership. But to keep things on topic...

I could see... Buccaneers being successful at the Open Class or World Class level.

I believe Fusion Core and I KNOW Alliance had young membership last year. Both have show designs that would be successful at the DCI (and apparently the DCA) level.

I see, in general, the difference between DCI and DCA becoming less and less over the years. Especially with the economic situation, people will choose to stay more local when participating in drum corps. Thus, leaving opportunity for groups like the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown the chance to surge... as well as corps like Corpsvets, Alliance, Fusion Core, and the Bucs to grow.

I think that if DCA could become a little more mainstream and look at the potential future they have sitting in front of them, there is a large number of smaller DCI corps that flat out won't be able to compete or keep up with the bigger corps in the DCI Open Class Division. Sooner or Later the Open Class of DCI may not even exsist (which I think would make some people happy) and those smaller corps will want to compete rather than convert.

If I have my facts correct, Kilties were DCI, went inactive, reformed as an Alumni group, then went competitive.

That is somewhat correct. The corps actually had two alumni reunion performances during the tenure of being inactive, then also a appearence at the DCI Championships in Madison. The original intent was to was to try and re-ignite area interest in the return of the junior version of the corps through appearences of a alumni group in parades, concerts, etc. For the most part, the economcs of putting a junior corps back in a active status was prohibitive, thus the corps successfully re-entered the field years ago as what is now a "all age" organizational format. The corps now has a very nice blend of all ages with a vast amount of older high school and college students a part of the mix.

Edited by bill

In the spirit of a thread that a began on the DCA forum (reversed), does anyone think that a DCA corps would ever "cross over" and become a DCI junior corps? Those of you that know the DCA activity; which corps would be the best/most likely fit to switch?

Even if it means the corps switching from Open Class in DCA to Open Class in DCI (two different divisions in their respective organizations), what are your ideas? They can be serious, or just for fun!

GO!

I'll bet that about 90% of Bucs are under 21 - got this from a very reliable source- and could make the move. But many of the present membership march DCA for specific reasons i.e. tour costs, responsibilities at home etc. From a music, visual and percussion point of view, only Bucs. But I just don't see that happening any time at all and I don't anyone in Reading have talked about it.

All of the above statements are of course my own opinions and do not reflect the position or statements of the Reading Buccaneers.

Edited by Bucbari

You're leaving out Cabs and Statesmen.....lol....I think they would grow significantly as well as Crusaders and MBI IMHO. Particuarly MBI because of their locaton.