Schiller Marching Brass

QuebecSOP

I called Jim Laabs looking for Corps or Bands that use the Schiller Field Brass. There is a German Corps called The Panthers that supposedly use these horns and I was told by a person at Jim Laabs that the Brassmen in Penn. are using these horns as well. I still need to call the director of the Brassmen to confirm and see what their experience is with these horns.

For the Trumpet, I was told the model 74 is considered the Field Brass Trumpet and it is less than $300 dollars. I'm real tempted to buy one and compair it to my Sons' King 2055 Silver flair.

I'm really considering picking up a couple baris and a couple Mellos and experiment with them for the Salvation Army Kettle.

It would be an inexpensive way to start a Parade Corps if the horns can be played anywhere close to in tune with each other.

I called Jim Laabs looking for Corps or Bands that use the Schiller Field Brass. There is a German Corps called The Panthers that supposedly use these horns and I was told by a person at Jim Laabs that the Brassmen in Penn. are using these horns as well. I still need to call the director of the Brassmen to confirm and see what their experience is with these horns.

For the Trumpet, I was told the model 74 is considered the Field Brass Trumpet and it is less than $300 dollars. I'm real tempted to buy one and compair it to my Sons' King 2055 Silver flair.

I'm really considering picking up a couple baris and a couple Mellos and experiment with them for the Salvation Army Kettle.

It would be an inexpensive way to start a Parade Corps if the horns can be played anywhere close to in tune with each other.

we just purchased 5 tubas for the high school band I work with... they are surprisingly VERY good considering the price (<$1,200). They sound good, the cases are nice, the only issue was a few places where the finish wasn't covered well but not noticeable unless you're looking close. We'll see how they hold up but for that price... you could buy new ones every couple of years and it would still be less expensive than sousaphones or the other top brands

Edited by dcibrando

As a repair tech. The newer chinese instruments, are a hit or miss. I bought a Schiller 4 valve euphonium (brand new $500) YEP-321 copy, and it seems to be holding up with minimal tuning issues, even for someone who uses it in college, in ensembles (non music major)

That being said even well known makers are using the same horns for their student models. BACH Tr-500's are the biggest pieces of crap I have ever seen. It's sad that a poorly made instrument could possibly deter a new player from continuing because the equipment doesn't work the way it should.

I just chated with Mr. Barchella of the Brassmen and he said, "We have over 50 Schiller Horns and they do what they are supposed to."

He also said, "We haven't had any problems with horns falling apart. The Finish is nickel and have not had anyone have problems with allergies. Everyone uses gloves to protect the finish." I asked if there were any tuning issues between horns and he said, "They play pretty well in a group. if the players do their job everything sounds good."

He said,"of course they are not top of the line horns but they do the job for a lot less money."

I asked about the Tubas and if the the brass was thin of if they would hold up. I think he said they have 10 Tubas and they have been trouble free.

He told me the horns are a good buy and the people at Jimlaabs are good people to work with.

I think I will get a some of these horns and test them out. This might be the ticket to get other Drum Corps started in Kansas Junior and All Age.

we just purchased 5 tubas for the high school band I work with... they are surprisingly VERY good considering the price (<$1,200). They sound good, the cases are nice, the only issue was a few places where the finish wasn't covered well but not noticeable unless you're looking close. We'll see how they hold up but for that price... you could buy new ones every couple of years and it would still be less expensive than sousaphones or the other top brands

I've heard the finish issues with some of these Chinese horns but for $1,200.00 dollars I wouldn't really care that much.

I'm pretty much a weekend worrior so if I get a baritone and can make it sound good then game on.

To see/hear the Schiller Brass in Action check out The Westchester Brassmen and The Saints Brigade on you tube. I think these horns are good enough.

What's that Russian Generals quote. Perfect is the Army of Good Enough.

• 2 years later...

So I played on one of the Schiller big bell marching tubas for a while today. And I must say I was rather impressed.

My initial reaction was to the weight as I unboxed it. It was SUPER light. I oiled it up and got to work with it. Took a little messing around to get a feel for where it wanted to center and get it tuned up. In other words, a little "pitchy" right out of the gate, but after a while it got settled in.

It plays pretty freely.Valves operated smoothly. Has a pretty significant high register for a marching tuba. Low end wasn't super full, but you could move air well enough to create substantial sound. My impression is that the horn is made of a much thinner metal alloy that you would usually be accustomed to. This accounts for the light weight as well as some of the reduced resonance.

One thing that surprised me was the responsiveness of the horn. Moving around playing intricate rhythmic passages felt quite easy on this horn.

All in all, I think that it is reasonable for the money. I would never consider it for a full-time touring competition corps, but if you have an alumni or parade type corps - some kind of ensemble that won't beat the thing up too bad, then it is plenty adequate.

Heh, this is a copy of a Holton marching horn you see here:

Horn-u-copia

Link doesn't work.

• 4 months later...

So I played on one of the Schiller big bell marching tubas for a while today. And I must say I was rather impressed.

My initial reaction was to the weight as I unboxed it. It was SUPER light. I oiled it up and got to work with it. Took a little messing around to get a feel for where it wanted to center and get it tuned up. In other words, a little "pitchy" right out of the gate, but after a while it got settled in.

It plays pretty freely.Valves operated smoothly. Has a pretty significant high register for a marching tuba. Low end wasn't super full, but you could move air well enough to create substantial sound. My impression is that the horn is made of a much thinner metal alloy that you would usually be accustomed to. This accounts for the light weight as well as some of the reduced resonance.

One thing that surprised me was the responsiveness of the horn. Moving around playing intricate rhythmic passages felt quite easy on this horn.

All in all, I think that it is reasonable for the money. I would never consider it for a full-time touring competition corps, but if you have an alumni or parade type corps - some kind of ensemble that won't beat the thing up too bad, then it is plenty adequate.

Would you cut off it's use at parade corps level? Or do you think it could handle a DCA level corps?