"Oldschool" equipment question

Will

I've never experienced that kind of colorguard. I can't imagine what it was like. Anyone know of any videos on youtube or anywhere what I can have a look?

The WGI videos of 78-82 have the "gunshots" most times you can hear them, just depends on the show and how they recorded each one. Some consistency problems back then..lol.

1983 was the year with the change in judging system away from 'tics' to the build up system we have today.

After the 'gun shots' General Effect judges kept on adjudicating the show until the end, that is when the designers would put in the riskier moves and more emotional, for lack of a better word, effects.

DCA had the gun shots till the late 90's.

Edited by rochguardguy

And we're both old enough to know that gunshots after a corps is off the field means Walt Kelly is scaring the pigeons. :tongue:

Heh! We were all sitting at the backfield that night - laughing our ##### off!

Great days....

Guess I better explain what kusan and I are laughing about. Except I wasn't laughing at the time.

1980 DCA Finals aka "Year of the Bird" in the Westshoremen history as they released doves or pigeons (I forget) on the field at the end of their show. Problem was it was night time and most of the feathered rats walked around instead of flying off. Chief Judge Walt Kelly tried to scare them off the field shooting his starters pistol. Birds go so far to the side then.... right back where they started from (repeat a few times). Have no idea how much ammo Chief Judges carry but Walt shot off a lot of blanks for a while. Held up the show for about 15-20 minutes until all of them come be hand carried off.

Funny as Hades for the audience but not for the next corps (Sunrisers) who were at the field ready to come on and had to wait... and wait.... Wasn't funny for me as recently ex-member of Westshore. The corps was trying for it's first Top 5 finish in history and a penalty for delaying the show would have killed it.