Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

wow- so you are saying that they won't fild a corps anymore?

I just thought it meant reorganization.

Are there any Spartans members or staff on DCP who can shed light on this?

I think the only shot the Spartans could have is if Pete stepped aside. But, even then, a huge amount of debt would have to be eliminated. The building cost is the majority of the debt, but no one is buying bingo halls today.

The same could be said of the Americanos. Their building is not going to sell anytime soon and there is not sufficient bingo revenue to support a corps. The State of Wisconsin has been very lax in allowing this organization to remain even though there is no chance a competitive drum corps coming out of that organization anytime soon. And same thing...Colosso would have to step aside for that to even have a shot.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to a member in the pitt yesterday who said the group was told at the last camp they would still have a season...

But, from an outsider's perspective, I don't see how that's possible. The article makes it seem like things are pretty dire (especially the part about removing the *entire* Board), so maybe it's more up-to-date than the information that the corps members have been given so far.

It's really, really sad to see another NE corps disappear, if they are folding.

wow- so you are saying that they won't fild a corps anymore?

I just thought it meant reorganization.

Well, how about the second sentence of the article:

"The Spartans organization filed November 24 for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which provides protection to an organization, allowing it to continue operating as it reorganizes."

Evidently, the Spartans intend to continue operating. Speculate all you want about whether they will succeed....but that is their intent.

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that in some states when an incorporated organization files bankruptcy then reorganizes, it can't use the same name for legal reasons. I know that's why the former "Piper Aircraft Corp." is now called the "New Piper Aircraft Corp." I think the Cadets ran into the same problem one year too. But like I said, I don't know for sure.

Well, how about the second sentence of the article:

"The Spartans organization filed November 24 for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which provides protection to an organization, allowing it to continue operating as it reorganizes."

Evidently, the Spartans intend to continue operating. Speculate all you want about whether they will succeed....but that is their intent.

true,............but if the entire board is removed as requested by a petitioner (as stated eslewhere in the article),...........their intent might be moot,..................

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that in some states when an incorporated organization files bankruptcy then reorganizes, it can't use the same name for legal reasons. I know that's why the former "Piper Aircraft Corp." is now called the "New Piper Aircraft Corp." I think the Cadets ran into the same problem one year too. But like I said, I don't know for sure.

True, but it would be the organization's legal name that would change but they would still be able to perform as the Spartans

since the bulk of the issues (from the article) seem to be monetary, it doesn't seem like they'd be able to:

Revenue from tuition and the organization's coach line service was also suffering, according to the report.
if they aren't receiving the tuition they expect, how can they afford food and gas amongst other things? even if this is simply due to decline in membership not necesarily lack of payment by members as is with other corps, it seems harder to imagine a return for this season.

True, but it would be the organization's legal name that would change but they would still be able to perform as the Spartans

For example...

The Nashua Drum Corps Association dba (doing business as) Spartans Drum and Bugle Corps.

since the bulk of the issues (from the article) seem to be monetary, it doesn't seem like they'd be able to: if they aren't receiving the tuition they expect, how can they afford food and gas amongst other things? even if this is simply due to decline in membership not necesarily lack of payment by members as is with other corps, it seems harder to imagine a return for this season.

im with him on that

if your continuing to lose money/the money isnt there, then no matter the name of the organization or the big promising names of the staff.. your in more than rough shape for an extended period.

clearly aside from having no choice to have to take time off.. it would be needed anyway.