perc judge on the field or in the stands?

Jeffsjetta

perc judge on the field or in the stands?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. perc judge on the field or in the stands?

• on the field
    • in the stands

the band circuit i teach is currently wrestling with the issue of whether to place the percussion judge in the stands or keep him on the field.

the main complaint is judges miss too much down low, as well as the sheet is too vague and asks for ensemble and GE issues be addressed.

as well as many feel the judge upstairs will miss way too much by being so far away from the performers, as well as then be harrassed by staff members for not looking at the drill like a drill guy, or by going out of caption and doing the ensemble music judges job.

now, percussion is a specialty caption and doesnt contribute to the score, yet drummers being drummers make this one of the hottest fights of the year competitively.

i won't vote for a while, not will i make my thoughts public, but i wanted to see what other percussion people think.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd really like to see more than one percussion judge--maybe one on the field and one in the stands, since there's so much going on that the judge can't possibly see. I think there should be a judge for the pit as well--I recall having about four or five shows last summer where the judge never once came up to the pit to listen--they just hung around the battery--that, and pit is a different enough idiom, in my opinion, to merit having its own judge.

</rant>

If I had to choose, I'd pick in the stands. Not in the box, but 5 rows up in the stands. Some of the most impressive things done by percussion ensembles are the front to back playing, and blending of sounds. These are rarely if ever noticed by the percussion judge, so it seems the score is more of a cleanliness of snareline score.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...