perc judge on the field or in the stands?

Jeffsjetta

perc judge on the field or in the stands?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. perc judge on the field or in the stands?

• on the field
    • in the stands

voting for in the stand for a couple of reasons:

1. comfort, ease of adjudication for the judge - rather than dodging drill, color guard, and missing half the show being in transit between the battery and front ensemble, would enable the judge to take in 100% of the program.

2. Fairness - would ensure that every ensemble gets the same read, no more of the "right place and time" kind of things going on. Would be one more way to make the subjective system more objective.

3. Promotes musical thinking - Would force arrangers to consider the total package and what they want the percussion program to contribute to the overall musical effect of the show. Well placed and programmed beats would still be heard, provided shows are designed as such - and should be rewarded if the performance warrants.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you had me til the end. I am in charge of a grounded ensemble, placed 4 steps behind the center X.

so, i will not be heard as clearly as a moving line with staging that can benefit them.

hence, my dilemma. we program to get our perc moments in as well as be musical within the big picture.

but, with the emphasis on technique on the sheets, i am terrified of someone trying to judge my four mallet technique at pianissimo from 20 rows up when we are behind the center of the field.

My biggest problem has always been that on the field, the front ensemble rarely gets judged much, and from the box, performance rarely gets judged much...

I hate combining Battery and Front Ensemble as one caption. Battery is rhythm, and FE is Rhythm, harmony, melody, etc.

but that's a whole nother topic

which I will start

Judging together of separate

I am kind of split on this issue. I said in the stands for a more overall look. But, having a judge on the field really always him\her\it to get in there really see what the kids are doing (which can be good and bad). But, it does allow for more of a look at technique.

We had a field judge my junior year in high school (way back when...) who did a good job going back and forth and commenting on the front ensemble and the battery. Granted he was completely worn out after the show... B) , but he did a good job.

That is the problem with one judge, when you try and focus on one area at one point in the show, you are bound to miss something in the other, unless you have watched the show before and know.

I voted "in the stands" if there is to be a single judge.

If the total percussion performance is what is being evaluated, that performance has to make it to the stands. IMO that is what should be the first focus of evaluating a percussion section's presentation.

Also, issues such as tempo, timing and balance are not able to be properly evaluated on the field, nor is it possible to accurately evaluate how well the phrasing of the percussion performance lines up with the brass.

All in all, I'd prefer two folks, one up and one down, but that just ain't gonna happen.

Mike

the sheet does not mention brass at all...it is solely percussion.

the circuit has a music ensemble judge whose responsibility covers the issue you addressed. they rarely do, but it's their job.

if the current sheet is used, 60% of the verbiage will be wasted in the stands. Actually make that 80%.

if it is to go upstairs, the entire sheet needs to be redone

the sheet does not mention brass at all...it is solely percussion.

My assumption is that the percussion sheet would be redesigned if the judge was moved.

the circuit has a music ensemble judge whose responsibility covers the issue you addressed. they rarely do, but it's their job.

Might have to redo more than just one sheet in that case. In any case....the percussion sheet is looking to evaluate the percussion performanc as it relates to the brass in my "world", not overall music ensemble performance.

if the current sheet is used, 60% of the verbiage will be wasted in the stands. Actually make that 80%.

if it is to go upstairs, the entire sheet needs to be redone

That would be, IMO, a given.

Mike

the problem Mike, that people want to use the same sheet, and change the position.

and still not make the ensemble music guy responsible for doing their job, which includes all sections, yet perc never gets mentioned unless it's the obligatory "drumline too loud"

the problem Mike, that people want to use the same sheet, and change the position.

and still not make the ensemble music guy responsible for doing their job, which includes all sections, yet perc never gets mentioned unless it's the obligatory "drumline too loud"

Oh, I thought we were talking hypothetically here....

I agree that the ensemble music person should spend as much time on the ensemble aspects of the percussion performance as they do on brass related issues.

Not sure the existing field level sheet would translate well into the stands.....and you'd stil not be evaluating those elements that are BEST judged from the stands, unless revisions to the sheets are made to account for those items.

Mike