Married and in drum corps?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me there was a couple in the Freelancers that were married. I'm thinking it was 89... but mighht have been 87, or 88. Does anyone know (just for fun of course) who they were? Did it work out? How many other couples are there that were married when they marched??? Did they get sleeping privlages?? Just wondering..... :glare:

Of course this excludes senior corps and people who met in corps and eventually got married....there has to be thousands of those....

That was 1993. The drum major Chad Humpal married Suzie (forget her maiden name) in the colorguard. They were allowed to sleep next to each other in the gym. As far as I know, they are still married. I ran into Suzie a few years ago at a guard show and I think they have 3(?) kids and Chad is a band director.

Dusting off the cobwebs here.... It was either really early or really late in the season in '82 or '83 with the Illiana Lancers. Our drum major married one of the guard members. As I recall, the ceremony took place at the bride's home, just down the street from our practice field, possibly after a morning practice at which most of the horn and drum line were seriously hung over from the previous night's bachelor party.

Dusting off the cobwebs here.... It was either really early or really late in the season in '82 or '83 with the Illiana Lancers. Our drum major married one of the guard members. As I recall, the ceremony took place at the bride's home, just down the street from our practice field, possibly after a morning practice at which most of the horn and drum line were seriously hung over from the previous night's bachelor party.

Don't think it was l '83. IIRC there were only 2-3 guard from the East Side...and DM broke leg before season started so there was a replacement (from the sop line IIRC)

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of marching in a jr corps while married to someone who is in that same corps, same year. How many were there??? I think the Freelancer on was the only on I know of.....

Ummm, the couple I mentioned in post #5 of this thread were married, both marched in our corps in 1974 while married, we were definitely a junior corps, and they even brought their child on tour with them. Is that not what you meant?

In the summer of 1978 - Guardsmen - we did a southern tour swing down through Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky. One of our tenor drummers (Robert as I recall) and one of our keyboard players (Pam if I'm not mistaken) took off on a free day the corps had, and did not return for two days. When they returned, they were Mr. & Mrs. Robert & Pam whatever the last name was.

I remember at the time being kind of like: "whoa."

I forget which one it was, but when I was in SCV in 1988 we had a contra player who had a wife and kid at home.

That was 1993. The drum major Chad Humpal married Suzie (forget her maiden name) in the colorguard. They were allowed to sleep next to each other in the gym. As far as I know, they are still married. I ran into Suzie a few years ago at a guard show and I think they have 3(?) kids and Chad is a band director.

Yeah, they always split the boy/girl line in the gym.

If I remember correctly, one of the bass drum players we picked up later in the 93 season was married with a kid or two at home also. I remember standing in a retreat formation next to Glassmen and when they heard one of our guard captains was married to the drum major and one of our bass drummers was married with a kid, they tripped out. They thought we were kidding with them and when they realized we weren't joking, they started asking things like, "What exactly do you guys DO out there in California?" It's not like I could tell them. :glare:

Off the top of my head I can think of at least 5 additional couples from just my three years in Freelancers that marched in the corps together, eventually got married and are still married today.

Burns...no. Mo was 89.

Skare....keep running buddy!!! :glare: