Florida Premiere

Hi all,

In clearing out this forum and getting ready for this season's reviews, I accidentally deleted the review of last night's premiere (and it was a great review!!)

Can someone repost?? Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

In clearing out this forum and getting ready for this season's reviews, I accidentally deleted the review of last night's premiere (and it was a great review!!)

Can someone repost?? Thanks!

This is a copy and paste from another section on CGP.

It was submitted by CGP member IPLAYPERCUSSION

Scholastic A

1 Lyman HS (Lyman Diamonds) Gold 68.20

2 Timber Creek HS 65.90

3 Nease HS 62.90

4 Countryside HS 61.10

5 JW Mitchell HS 59.50

6 Lake Howell HS 57.80

7 Menendez HS 57.60

8 Spruce Creek HS 56.00

9 Satellite HS 55.20

10 St. Augustine HS Winterguard 54.10

11 Chamberlain HS 50.70

12 Fleming Island HS 48.60

13 Dr. Phillips HS 48.30

Independent A

1 Gainesville Independent 64.10

2 River City Independent 62.60

3 Sapphire 41.10

Scholastic Open

1 Cypress Creek HS 59.60

2 University HS Open 59.20

3 Colonial HS 56.30

Independent Open

1 USF Winterguard 64.60

2 Fahrenheit Open 63.00

Scholastic World

1 Seminole HS 59.00

2 Freedom HS 58.10

Independent World

1 Northeast Independent 75.90

2 The Knights World 65.00

3 Fahrenheit World 62.90

My thoughts...

I wasn't able to see the Scholastic A division, but I was able to watch everyone else. I was surprised by River City Independent. I guess I was expecting a bit more from them. I thought University HS would top Cypress Creek. University had so much emotion dripping from their performance. Great stuff. Love the Coldplay music. I was surprised to see USF on top of Fahrenheit Open. Both had great outings for the first show of the season. USF has come so far in the last two years. I thought the two would be closer in score. I loved Freedom HS last year and am disappointed with their show this year. I don't know. It's okay. Seminole HS was pretty good. The ice-cracking in the music got really annoying after a while (partially because it was SO loud). NEI had a beautiful show. I have to admit, I miss the dark, intense type of show from them. But they looked great last night. The show will probably grow on me. The Knights... eh. I didn't like last year's show that much, and this year's is supposedly like a sequel to it. I didn't like how the portion of MLK's "I have a dream" speech in The Knight's show is almost the exact same portion in Freedom HS's show. Come on, Michael James. Change it up a bit. I love Fahrenheit World's show, probably because it's intense. They are stronger than last season.

I'll be heading to multiple FFCC shows and a couple WGI regionals over the next two months. I'm very excited to see more shows and to see these grow over the course of the season.

--------------------

Meaghan

Edited by colorguardbear

SFWGA Premier Night:

I was only able to see the National classes as I'm affiliated with a local performing unit. From what I remember:

3rd (Nat'l A) - Coral Glades - "Free Fallin'" - A decent performance and a clear step up from the local units. Some good GE moments, but overall not a competitor for WGI Finals.

2nd - Cypress Bay "Papa's Roses" - Cute show on a small floor. One of the main weapons had an injury and couldn't spin. Wasn't noticeable for me until a minute into the show. Hopefully she recovers quickly. Strong semi-finalist, but not enough I don't think for a finals run.

1st - Spanish River "A Day in the Park" - A clear Adam Sage production. Well put-together, although the umbrellas may have taken a little away from the equipment focus. Also, somewhat of a discrepancy in performer's levels. This is a finalist contender.

2nd (IA) - Medea "Uniform Grey" - Lots of tummy from some of the ladies. A lot of focus on flexibility tricks, and I think that may have ultimately hurt them. A good showing though for their first year back. Not a finished production, but a nice showing.

1st - FIU - "If I Lay Here" - Hopefully, it was just the uniforms, but they just looked rag-tag. The unfinished look of the uniforms caused clutter, and it made a big distraction. Once uniforms come in, I think it will be a lot more enjoyable. This is a guard where the difference in performance level is noticeable. On the positive side, they had a very tight, well-executed and enjoyable ensemble rifle feature.

2nd (SO) - Cooper City - "The Special Two" - Oops, what a dropsy run. If they can keep their equipment in the hands, it would be significantly better. Also an unfinished production, using the floor from two years ago and blacks. Kinda small, but this show looks to improve leaps and bounds.

1st - Santaluces - "Novelty" - The Atonement soundtrack made for a good show, although I didn't really get the "Novelty" title. This was one of the first guards of the night to pull on the emotional strings. I think there is improvement to be really get the audience involved emotionally, because the soundtrack is there to do it. Although I swear I've heard that typewriter "music" before. Should be a finalist contender in Dayton.

2nd (SW) - Stoneman Douglas - "Greed" - Case study in a program in recovery. All credit to this Florida guard for remaining in World Class and designing a show to get them back to where they need to be. Again, difference in performance level shows here - some of the girls were not ready to preform this late at night. Other however, sold the show and the design of the show is great. A couple of cringe moments, including a couple of bewildered flags and the triple turn-around saber girl who just wasn't into it (recovery!). The show needs to be beefed up in equipment to be competitive, but a very good show.

1st - Flanagan - "Hopelandic" - I don't know what to say. To me, I wasn't that into the show. When the best moment I remember is the ensemble throwing their equipment into the air (straight up, no rotation), I'm not sure that Flanagan will be able to retain their title. I see this being definitely top 10, but I couldn't say top 3 with any definitiveness. If there are strong showings from Cali, the Midwest and Northeast, Flanagan may find themselves in the 3-8 shuffle. Design is great and equipment is great, but its just not memorable for me.

2nd (IW) - Premonition - "Illusion" - Yay GE! Plenty of moments to get the crowd on their feet. One of the only guards that presented a finished look in terms of flags, uniforms and floor. They don't seem to be pulling many punches this year. Does Shannon love green? It seems the color palette this year and last is the same. Lots of tricks, both in equipment and body. However, I think the total book is a little lacking. Maybe the tricks were hiding it. One of the highest GE moments of the night was again, the signature two-handed backhands and the ensemble "illusion" with multiple performers starting and stopping it with her.

1st - Braddock Indpendent - "We Do It To Ourselves" - Holy equipment book Batman! This show doesn't stop period. There's tons of movement demands placed on the performers. No signature ensemble dance feature, but plenty of dance and equipment work to make up for it. Sky high tosses and plenty of Braddock style made this, in my opinion, the performance of the night. Still waiting on uniforms, flags and floor (in complete contrast to Prem), but the show is electrifying enough as it is. Although someone pointed this out to me - there are no ladies' midrifts yet this year. Braddock getting a little more classy? If classy means top 10 run, then yes.

Looking forward to the Ft. Lauderdale regional!

I just looked at recaps on SFWGA.org...why did Taravella place 3rd with a score of 1?

OMG! What happened to all the guards? Where did they all go? Specifically, where is Barbara Goleman HS?

Edited by quegrawks

OMG! What happened to all the guards? Where did they all go? Specifically, where is Barbara Goleman HS?

Money is super tight down here in S. Flo...Alot of guards cant afford this season.

Scores From Santaluces:

NAT A

1. Spanish River = 68.1

2. Cypress Bay = 65.5

3. Coral Glades = 63.3

IND A

1. FIU = 65.6

2. MEDEA = 61.5

SCH OPEN

1. Santaluces = 65.6

2. Cooper City = 61.8

3. Taravella = 1.0

(no IND OPEN)

SCH WORLD

1. Flanagan = 73.6

2.Stoneman Douglas = 61.6

IND WORLD

1. Braddock = 71.2

2. Premonition = 67.4

I think this year South Florida is well represented in every class. Goodluck to all this season!

I just looked at recaps on SFWGA.org...why did Taravella place 3rd with a score of 1?

Taravella went to the inagural parade and they were focused on that December and Janruary. So they did not perform at premier but, there is some rule from 1902 (I assume) that said they had to be represented at premier. So... the captain showed up and got .2 per caption. Silly but they had to do it. Taravella from what I hear will be ready for the Fort. Lauderdale regional. I'm excited to see them.