Florida Premiere

Taravella went to the inagural parade and they were focused on that December and Janruary. So they did not perform at premier but, there is some rule from 1902 (I assume) that said they had to be represented at premier. So... the captain showed up and got .2 per caption. Silly but they had to do it. Taravella from what I hear will be ready for the Fort. Lauderdale regional. I'm excited to see them.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up for me! For awhile I was wondering what kind of performance would merit a score of one! :laughing:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a copy and paste from another section on CGP.

It was submitted by CGP member IPLAYPERCUSSION

Scholastic A

1 Lyman HS (Lyman Diamonds) Gold 68.20

2 Timber Creek HS 65.90

3 Nease HS 62.90

4 Countryside HS 61.10

5 JW Mitchell HS 59.50

6 Lake Howell HS 57.80

7 Menendez HS 57.60

8 Spruce Creek HS 56.00

9 Satellite HS 55.20

10 St. Augustine HS Winterguard 54.10

11 Chamberlain HS 50.70

12 Fleming Island HS 48.60

13 Dr. Phillips HS 48.30

Independent A

1 Gainesville Independent 64.10

2 River City Independent 62.60

3 Sapphire 41.10

Scholastic Open

1 Cypress Creek HS 59.60

2 University HS Open 59.20

3 Colonial HS 56.30

Independent Open

1 USF Winterguard 64.60

2 Fahrenheit Open 63.00

Scholastic World

1 Seminole HS 59.00

2 Freedom HS 58.10

Independent World

1 Northeast Independent 75.90

2 The Knights World 65.00

3 Fahrenheit World 62.90

My thoughts...

I wasn't able to see the Scholastic A division, but I was able to watch everyone else. I was surprised by River City Independent. I guess I was expecting a bit more from them. I thought University HS would top Cypress Creek. University had so much emotion dripping from their performance. Great stuff. Love the Coldplay music. I was surprised to see USF on top of Fahrenheit Open. Both had great outings for the first show of the season. USF has come so far in the last two years. I thought the two would be closer in score. I loved Freedom HS last year and am disappointed with their show this year. I don't know. It's okay. Seminole HS was pretty good. The ice-cracking in the music got really annoying after a while (partially because it was SO loud). NEI had a beautiful show. I have to admit, I miss the dark, intense type of show from them. But they looked great last night. The show will probably grow on me. The Knights... eh. I didn't like last year's show that much, and this year's is supposedly like a sequel to it. I didn't like how the portion of MLK's "I have a dream" speech in The Knight's show is almost the exact same portion in Freedom HS's show. Come on, Michael James. Change it up a bit. I love Fahrenheit World's show, probably because it's intense. They are stronger than last season.

I'll be heading to multiple FFCC shows and a couple WGI regionals over the next two months. I'm very excited to see more shows and to see these grow over the course of the season.

--------------------

Meaghan

I would have to agree with SEVERAL of the evaluations you gave and many people around me would have agreed also. Here's my take :laughing:

River City : I agree, I expected much more from this group. Maybe because of the NEI connection ( I know thats not fair ) SORRY

GI. ( New Group ) Very pleasant..ughhhhhhhh Josh Groban. Nice training I can see as a strong Semi Finalist.hmmm maybe more.

Lyman HS A Class..Girls perform well for so early..For sure a bad ### look to them that Im sure the girls will grow into. Simple weapon work but handled well at this time..I think these girls will be able to beef and handle it by the end. Didnt care for the costume....nice idea I guess but NOT flattering.

Colonial HS Open Class.. Very easy to see not the same guard as we saw in Daton last Year BUT you can see these kids working hard and I believe will have very respectful viewings as the year goes on.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...Josh Groban AGAIN !!!!!!! :w00t:

University HS...Obvious that this team is trying to up the performace aspect of the show..lots of emotion coming from the kids. equipment skills I think lacking and to me looks like a trade off was made , so lets see if this works for them...Its very early so very possible. Uniforms kind of ok..Saw ALOT o f that kind of top that night But with university VERYYYYYYYYYY short and all you see is white panties and baby dolls flying over their heads..very distracting.

USF.......I also was very surprised to see this team over Fahrenheit Open but it was a nice 1st showing, seems like older kids in this group and I think will be developing during the season. Weapons will be a strong point for this group. Nice to see growth in this group in the past few years.

Fahrenheit Open: Very nice surprise ( For me anyway ). I loved this group last year A class but with an older group in their organization you never know how the younger group will come out. I think they were very strong for so early and did without a doubt step up their game from their IA WGI 3rd place finsih of last year. great flag line !!!!!!! VERY HIGH WEAPON TOSSES..score i think should have been higher. Beautiful flags and colors!!!

Seminole HS.... Pretty Good for me also........ the music got really annoying for me also..Yeah....maybe it was because it was so loud. I think this group makes such huge strides during the year and will again. Never count this group ot, thats for sure.

Freedon HS.. I also liked this group last season and I think this is another group that makes HUGE improvements during the year every year and can crack into that ever so hard World finals status. I was very dissapointed as well as to the similar type of show with the Knights... Kind of stinks for Freedon I think but ya never know. Just seems like someone got sold a bill of goods :w00t:

The Knights....Don't look finishedas usual for 1st show BUT talented guard. This is another guard who also grows as the season moves on . VERY dissapointed in the show itself. I was ok with last years BUT come on lets move on people, it's world class. Leave the sequels for the movies. Personally I think they were given way to much credit based on tonights performance. Maybe in World Class it's not about tonight but Dayton last year..hmmmmmm food for thought....lol

I don't thinkuniforms are finished or they had their flags but I hear it is the same type as last year.I could be wrong on that.

Fahrenheit World..... I have to agree I liked this show alot.. MUCH IMPROVED this year. Very strong weapons A little sloppy in a few spots tonight but great .and a killer ending flag feature. I believe very underrated tonight, not by the audience but the judges. I think the best response of the night. I believe this guard should grab and will show that they have a rightful spot in the elite World Class of WGI. beautiful floor, unusual flags but love them. Uniforms are basic but great colors. An ever growing group. Right from their beginning it seems.

North East Independent........HMMMMMMMMMMMM, Well, Let me start off by saying they are moving better than in the past and to me it's nice to see that they are trying to change it up. There was certainly a trade off for movement that's for sure.the equipment book except for a few individuals to me and I think many was not world class at all. Do I see top 3 , no...top 5 HMMMMMMM maybe. To me it seems like they are trying to be the 2 guards that are missing this year. Floor color very soft blue very fittng for the tranquil music, uniforms a total contrast i think ( if I remember correctly ) was in purples and maybe tan or something to that sort. This I didnt get at all Girls although very flouncy like the music colors made it look like a bad Tanya Hading Skaters outfit and the boys I thought were off to a club or something. ( Sorry )

Always loved this team and I commend them for exploring new BUT !!!!!!

Well there's my take and of many who were around me I guess.

I want to wish all the guards much success this year and growth along the way.

Wow it sounds to me like you are involved or have been involved with Fahrenheit. Just saying! But thanks for the review.

No, actually not involved with any guard. I guess I made it sound like there were no flaws there now that I read back...Noone was with out flaw including Fahrenheit but then again it was the 1st show.

I really do think NEI is moving beautiful and very fluid....lol..like their water themed show. This is huge for them this year and will take them far. No denying their talent as well as maturity.

As far as any of the other reviews I wanted it to be more of an observation more than personal taste...and I flet comments I made like about Freedon who I have watched grow and succeed and loved deserved better and who knows, they have been very successful and may again. ( and I want that for them )They have been a favorite of mine. Guess I need to work my reviews..sorry :rolleyes:

No, actually not involved with any guard. I guess I made it sound like there were no flaws there now that I read back...Noone was with out flaw including Fahrenheit but then again it was the 1st show.

I really do think NEI is moving beautiful and very fluid....lol..like their water themed show. This is huge for them this year and will take them far. No denying their talent as well as maturity.

As far as any of the other reviews I wanted it to be more of an observation more than personal taste...and I flet comments I made like about Freedon who I have watched grow and succeed and loved deserved better and who knows, they have been very successful and may again. ( and I want that for them )They have been a favorite of mine. Guess I need to work my reviews..sorry :rolleyes:

Personally I like your review it wasn't mean but it wasn't all gushy either. Maybe you just like a style over a different one, please keep reviewing they are fun to read.

I just watched a video of NEI and would have to disagree about the difficulty of the equipment book. The flag book alone was way above anything they have done in the past.

In regards to the SFWGA premier and miaminight's review, I have to say that I agree.

Scholastic A:

Spanish River was simply beautiful. I'm sure they will be going up to another class soon. The level of difficulty and the overall show production was not comparable to anyone else in their class. I can't wait to see them represent south florida at WGI.

Cypress Bay had a lovely show as well. I thought there was too much pink, though. The floor was a rose and the costumes and flags all had pink in it. Good, show, but not really anything to remember.

Coral Glades had a decent performance. I don't think the overall show design will get them very far, though. I mean, John Mayer? That's good for a beginning guard, but the talent of the performers is definitely clear. There were blade 5's going up all over the floor. I know Dean Broadbent wrote their drill, but I just don't think they'll get very far this season.

Independent A:

FIU has grown a lot since last year and there were many good moments in the show. They should have performed in all black, though, because it did seem like a bigger mess with all the blue moving around the floor. Good vocabulary, but the execution and timing of the phrases just needs to be worked on. I'm really glad to see them back on track from last year!

Medea still hasn't finished their show, but it was nice to see them back. Nothing to GE captivating, but a work still in progress.

Scholastic Open:

Santaluces is another show I didn't get. It wasn't a typical Santaluces show, but the show is coming along. I didn't really feel anything from the performers and I hope to see them grow during the season.

Cooper City has a lot to work on. It was obvious that there are different levels of performers and that they weren't finished with the show yet. I really didn't understand the show either. Maybe with their floor and costumes I'd be able to understand it better, but as of premier, I still don't get it. Nothing really exciting about this show.

Taravella didn't show up because of their "inaugural parade" excuse.

Scholastic World:

Flanagan has the same show style every year. It's getting pretty redundant and I'm sure the whole crowd felt the same way. The only memorable moment was them throwing their equipment up in the air together. Their floor wasn't really much to look at and the flag feature was basically identical to last year. I also noticed that the only ensemble tosses they had were 4's and like 1 ensemble 5. For a world guard, I didn't think their work was that difficult. I definitely don't see them as a contender for the gold medal this year. Maybe 5-10. Nothing too memorable.

Stoneman Douglas is a lot smaller than last year and there is definitely a big range in the performance levels. You could tell that they were extremely nervous, which caused them to have a bad run. I do think, though, that their show design is a lot better than last year and that with time, I think their show will grow to be really good. They just need to work on execution and performing and I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Braddock Independent has definitely changed since last year and is looking better than ever! Strong equipment phrases and great performers! I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. I didn't see a flag feature, but that doesn't really matter. No floor or costume was seen from them yet, but I'm sure when the show design is complete, they will be better than ever! Top 10 this year at WGI? I can bet on it!

Premonition is proving themselves to be world class performers! Beating Braddock in equipment and movement is a big step for them. The crowd was crazy for them from beginning to end. There is definitely a lot of GE captivating moment, but they just need to be a little cleaner. Overall great show! I'm sure we'll be seeing them in IW finals this year.

Flanagan has the same show style every year.

That's called "creating an identity."

It's getting pretty redundant and I'm sure the whole crowd felt the same way. The only memorable moment was them throwing their equipment up in the air together.

I don't understand the "throwing equipment up in the air together" comment. And I'm sure the whole crowd did not feel the same way.

I also noticed that the only ensemble tosses they had were 4's and like 1 ensemble 5. For a world guard, I didn't think their work was that difficult. I definitely don't see them as a contender for the gold medal this year. Maybe 5-10. Nothing too memorable.

I'm guessing this is the first time you really watched them at the beginning of the year? a few years ago they were doing the same thing at Premier night, then by finals they were tossing ensemble 7s and 8s. Not that high tosses make a world class colorguard. It's what goes on before, during, and after the toss that sets World class apart from the other classes.

And I hope your assessment of FIU is correct! I hope they've improved from last year, as I have 2 former students performing with them this year!