Florida Premiere

In regards to the SFWGA premier and miaminight's review, I have to say that I agree.

Scholastic A:

Spanish River was simply beautiful. I'm sure they will be going up to another class soon. The level of difficulty and the overall show production was not comparable to anyone else in their class. I can't wait to see them represent south florida at WGI.

Cypress Bay had a lovely show as well. I thought there was too much pink, though. The floor was a rose and the costumes and flags all had pink in it. Good, show, but not really anything to remember.

Coral Glades had a decent performance. I don't think the overall show design will get them very far, though. I mean, John Mayer? That's good for a beginning guard, but the talent of the performers is definitely clear. There were blade 5's going up all over the floor. I know Dean Broadbent wrote their drill, but I just don't think they'll get very far this season.

Independent A:

FIU has grown a lot since last year and there were many good moments in the show. They should have performed in all black, though, because it did seem like a bigger mess with all the blue moving around the floor. Good vocabulary, but the execution and timing of the phrases just needs to be worked on. I'm really glad to see them back on track from last year!

Medea still hasn't finished their show, but it was nice to see them back. Nothing to GE captivating, but a work still in progress.

Scholastic Open:

Santaluces is another show I didn't get. It wasn't a typical Santaluces show, but the show is coming along. I didn't really feel anything from the performers and I hope to see them grow during the season.

Cooper City has a lot to work on. It was obvious that there are different levels of performers and that they weren't finished with the show yet. I really didn't understand the show either. Maybe with their floor and costumes I'd be able to understand it better, but as of premier, I still don't get it. Nothing really exciting about this show.

Taravella didn't show up because of their "inaugural parade" excuse.

Scholastic World:

Flanagan has the same show style every year. It's getting pretty redundant and I'm sure the whole crowd felt the same way. The only memorable moment was them throwing their equipment up in the air together. Their floor wasn't really much to look at and the flag feature was basically identical to last year. I also noticed that the only ensemble tosses they had were 4's and like 1 ensemble 5. For a world guard, I didn't think their work was that difficult. I definitely don't see them as a contender for the gold medal this year. Maybe 5-10. Nothing too memorable.

Stoneman Douglas is a lot smaller than last year and there is definitely a big range in the performance levels. You could tell that they were extremely nervous, which caused them to have a bad run. I do think, though, that their show design is a lot better than last year and that with time, I think their show will grow to be really good. They just need to work on execution and performing and I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Braddock Independent has definitely changed since last year and is looking better than ever! Strong equipment phrases and great performers! I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. I didn't see a flag feature, but that doesn't really matter. No floor or costume was seen from them yet, but I'm sure when the show design is complete, they will be better than ever! Top 10 this year at WGI? I can bet on it!

Premonition is proving themselves to be world class performers! Beating Braddock in equipment and movement is a big step for them. The crowd was crazy for them from beginning to end. There is definitely a lot of GE captivating moment, but they just need to be a little cleaner. Overall great show! I'm sure we'll be seeing them in IW finals this year.

I was vacationing in Sunny Miami and thought I would try and catch the show. I have to agree with alot of the above , Well most........ I didnt get to see all the HS guards..But did see Stoneman and flan. and agree totally with both reviews.

Was very refreshing to see Braddock take a new path and doing it well..top 10 ? hmmmm maybe

Premonition .....hmmmmmmmmm improved over last year, thats for sure...alll that? hmmmmm well i didnt think so. The back hand stuff that high schools do is getting old . Didnt care much for the 80s ( medea) type costume and all seemed very simple. Again improved though. I was quite surprised that they took those 2 captions over Braddock .

Oh well My 2 cents..lol...good luck to everyone.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's called "creating an identity."

I don't understand the "throwing equipment up in the air together" comment. And I'm sure the whole crowd did not feel the same way.

I'm guessing this is the first time you really watched them at the beginning of the year? a few years ago they were doing the same thing at Premier night, then by finals they were tossing ensemble 7s and 8s. Not that high tosses make a world class colorguard. It's what goes on before, during, and after the toss that sets World class apart from the other classes.

And I hope your assessment of FIU is correct! I hope they've improved from last year, as I have 2 former students performing with them this year!

well, someone is getting a little defensive...Play nice, everyone is allowed to voice their opinions...hence the "show and event review" category.

well, someone is getting a little defensive...Play nice, everyone is allowed to voice their opinions...hence the "show and event review" category.

Defensive? I don't see it. I voiced my opinion as well, and gave some background information that others may not have been aware of. Please don't push me for voicing my opinion just like others have. At least I didn't say anything negative about anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
I was vacationing in Sunny Miami and thought I would try and catch the show. I have to agree with alot of the above , Well most........ I didnt get to see all the HS guards..But did see Stoneman and flan. and agree totally with both reviews.

Was very refreshing to see Braddock take a new path and doing it well..top 10 ? hmmmm maybe

Premonition .....hmmmmmmmmm improved over last year, thats for sure...alll that? hmmmmm well i didnt think so. The back hand stuff that high schools do is getting old . Didnt care much for the 80s ( medea) type costume and all seemed very simple. Again improved though. I was quite surprised that they took those 2 captions over Braddock .

Oh well My 2 cents..lol...good luck to everyone.

Personally, I have to disagree. I've always been a Flanagan supporter which probably displaces any of my opinions from valid to "bias" but since I'm in no way affiliated with any guards down here, I have to say from what I saw at the Ft. Lauderdale regional, Flanagan will truly be, and is clearly, a contender for the gold medal yet again this year. So long as they keep their pathes straight with a few improvements (I think the audience's attention started to wane a bit right before the all-flag feature), I see these young ladies and gents going far!

As far as Premonition goes, yes, they have most definitely improved! No more 80s-styled confetti in their silks! Definite crowd pleaser, but as I've noticed, not particularly "visually stunning, " though there are bits of interesting drill here and there, lots of exciting movement such as their opening phrases, I just don't see how "Magic" quite fits into the staging. If they are able to figure out how to better fit the theme of their show into their productions outside of the enormous robes the males wear as "warlocks," I just don't think the concept will make much sense. Though I will admit, fitting a particular show theme to a T is not what it's all about.

Lastly, Braddock. Great. Frankly, it kind of ended a bit too abruptly for me, but that's just my opinion. At the end of the show when the flags had reached the perimeter of the floor and layed down, I kept expecting the music to keep playing. Perhaps that was the effect of they were searching for? I feel like every single world class guard (ok, not EVERY single one) is doing a show about improving the world, change, hope, etc. I mean at the Ft. Lauderdale regional alone, Freedom HS, Flanagan (debateably, though I disagree, my collegues argue that HOPE is in their show title HOPElandic), Fahrenheit, The Knights, and Braddock. However, what an AMAZING sabre book! I think someone said this on the other thread, but most definitely the tightest, cleanest sabreline of the night! :thumbup:

In regards to the SFWGA premier and miaminight's review, I have to say that I agree.

Scholastic A:

Spanish River was simply beautiful. I'm sure they will be going up to another class soon. The level of difficulty and the overall show production was not comparable to anyone else in their class. I can't wait to see them represent south florida at WGI.

Cypress Bay had a lovely show as well. I thought there was too much pink, though. The floor was a rose and the costumes and flags all had pink in it. Good, show, but not really anything to remember.

Coral Glades had a decent performance. I don't think the overall show design will get them very far, though. I mean, John Mayer? That's good for a beginning guard, but the talent of the performers is definitely clear. There were blade 5's going up all over the floor. I know Dean Broadbent wrote their drill, but I just don't think they'll get very far this season.

Independent A:

FIU has grown a lot since last year and there were many good moments in the show. They should have performed in all black, though, because it did seem like a bigger mess with all the blue moving around the floor. Good vocabulary, but the execution and timing of the phrases just needs to be worked on. I'm really glad to see them back on track from last year!

Medea still hasn't finished their show, but it was nice to see them back. Nothing to GE captivating, but a work still in progress.

Scholastic Open:

Santaluces is another show I didn't get. It wasn't a typical Santaluces show, but the show is coming along. I didn't really feel anything from the performers and I hope to see them grow during the season.

Cooper City has a lot to work on. It was obvious that there are different levels of performers and that they weren't finished with the show yet. I really didn't understand the show either. Maybe with their floor and costumes I'd be able to understand it better, but as of premier, I still don't get it. Nothing really exciting about this show.

Scholastic World:

Flanagan has the same show style every year. It's getting pretty redundant and I'm sure the whole crowd felt the same way. The only memorable moment was them throwing their equipment up in the air together. Their floor wasn't really much to look at and the flag feature was basically identical to last year. I also noticed that the only ensemble tosses they had were 4's and like 1 ensemble 5. For a world guard, I didn't think their work was that difficult. I definitely don't see them as a contender for the gold medal this year. Maybe 5-10. Nothing too memorable.

Stoneman Douglas is a lot smaller than last year and there is definitely a big range in the performance levels. You could tell that they were extremely nervous, which caused them to have a bad run. I do think, though, that their show design is a lot better than last year and that with time, I think their show will grow to be really good. They just need to work on execution and performing and I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Braddock Independent has definitely changed since last year and is looking better than ever! Strong equipment phrases and great performers! I was on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. I didn't see a flag feature, but that doesn't really matter. No floor or costume was seen from them yet, but I'm sure when the show design is complete, they will be better than ever! Top 10 this year at WGI? I can bet on it!

Premonition is proving themselves to be world class performers! Beating Braddock in equipment and movement is a big step for them. The crowd was crazy for them from beginning to end. There is definitely a lot of GE captivating moment, but they just need to be a little cleaner. Overall great show! I'm sure we'll be seeing them in IW finals this year.

Are you serious?!?!

FLANAGAN was AMAZINGGGG!

• 1 month later...

Scholastic A:

Independent A:

Scholastic Open:

Scholastic World:

Edited by GUARD1234