Announcing: Color Guard International

SBrancheau

I am pleased to announce the inauguration of a new guard circuit: Color Guard International.

Color Guard International is the most exciting visual concept to happen to guard in 20 years! Some of the highlights of CGI will be:

* Uniforms only - NO costumes!

* Only flags, rifles and sabres allowed.

* No floor tarps or props allowed - it's equipment work, equipment work, equipment work!

* Only 3 changes of flag color/design allowed per performance

* Grounding of equipment is allowed for a maximum of 20 seconds per performance!

* Limited dancing....the emphasis in CGI is equipment work!

The purpose of CGI is to return to what color guard SHOULD be and currently ISN'T: equipment work!

The governing body of CGI is:

SBrancheau

LancerFi

Byline

Please join me in supporting this exciting new concept in color guard!

Okay, now, what did I miss?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense, but BOOOOOOO. bad idea. and this comes from someone who started in guard in 1981.

That's your opinion and I respect that.

However, I've heard from enough people in the DCP forums that this is a very GOOD idea. The backlash on what is currently being labeled as "guard" sez that it's a good idea.

I certainly think it is!

that's because most of the people saying this is what they want to see aren't the same people out there marching it. no way would i want to go back to wearing a uniform if it meant wearing wool/nylon in the middle of summer and boots. and i'm certain the rest of the guard world out there performing feels the same way too.

no way would i want to go back to wearing a uniform if it meant wearing wool/nylon in the middle of summer and boots. and i'm certain the rest of the guard world out there performing feels the same way too.

For more years than not comfort was not an issue. It looks more uniform to wear uniforms, it visually ties the corp and guard together giving the appearance of a much larger group. A uniform is the only dress that underweight, overweight, and everything in between can wear and look good. The constumes of today make some overweight girls look like bloodclots, some of the guys....well lets not go there :whip:

The time has come for the equipment to take center stage, or change the name. It is just that simple. If you call it "Pagentry" then perhaps it won't be such a hard thing to swallow. But for those of us who know what REAL guard is(and legaleagle you should) this bares no resemblance to that.

The kids marching now do what they are told and taught. You teach them another alternative, and they will embrace that. Who would of thought the last guard I taught in 95 would embrace military concepts of precision and uniformity of guard so enthusiastically. Who would have thought that guard would embrace the outrageous flag, rifle and sabre exchanges that their field show book contained. They embraced it because it was bold, exciting, definately different for the period, and it required a huge commitment of time and energy to get right. The last reason they liked it so much is because NOBODY was doing it. It made them look unique and different than the other guards.

Uniqueness not a word you could attribute to the pagentry corps of today is it?

there are guards out there that have tasteful uniforms. and there are those that don't. as an instructor i refuse to put all my girls into unitards knowing that they don't all have the body for it. but guards should have their own identity. they in many cases should be dressed as a way to emphasize the music, not just blend into it. and yes, some guard instructors have even taken that idea too far. but a perfect example is '93 Cadets Kings Go Off to War show. that guard helped to portray the vision of that show so well, and used a variety of guard work to further the vision. if they were just in uni's that blended with the corps it wouldn't have had half the impact.

well, my concern with this would be that DCP isnt an accurate representation of the entire guard/corps world. I dont think theres nearly as many disgruntled people as it would seem. Been to a WGI show lately? The ones ive been too in SoCal and Vegas are PACKED with excited, screaming people.

A horn player's $.02 about guard.

I love work. I love seeing good CLEAN work.

I don't like the dance. It's got no place on a football field or a basketball court.

IMO, the guard that shows me the best work that compliments the music is the one I enjoy. I don't want to see 35 guard members dancing. 1 or 2 around a soloist I can almost tolerate.

As for uniforms, well, I like ones that compliment the corps. Doesn't have to be "uniform" in the strictest sense of the word, but something that looks nice next to the corps.

And I agree with Liz. Putting an overweight girl/woman into a unitard isn't fair to her. Guard designers should take that into consideration as they create their uniforms.

Again, just my $.02, and I could be wrong.

thanks Mike! :)

no way would i want to go back to wearing a uniform if it meant wearing wool/nylon in the middle of summer and boots. and i'm certain the rest of the guard world out there performing feels the same way too.

For more years than not comfort was not an issue. It looks more uniform to wear uniforms, it visually ties the corp and guard together giving the appearance of a much larger group. A uniform is the only dress that underweight, overweight, and everything in between can wear and look good. The constumes of today make some overweight girls look like bloodclots, some of the guys....well lets not go there :whip:

The time has come for the equipment to take center stage, or change the name. It is just that simple. If you call it "Pagentry" then perhaps it won't be such a hard thing to swallow. But for those of us who know what REAL guard is(and legaleagle you should) this bares no resemblance to that.

The kids marching now do what they are told and taught. You teach them another alternative, and they will embrace that. Who would of thought the last guard I taught in 95 would embrace military concepts of precision and uniformity of guard so enthusiastically. Who would have thought that guard would embrace the outrageous flag, rifle and sabre exchanges that their field show book contained. They embraced it because it was bold, exciting, definately different for the period, and it required a huge commitment of time and energy to get right. The last reason they liked it so much is because NOBODY was doing it. It made them look unique and different than the other guards.

Uniqueness not a word you could attribute to the pagentry corps of today is it?

God, how boring it would be to turn on the radio and hear only the same music they were doing back in 1969.

Movies? I can't believe they added voices to them...! What was wrong with the silent pictures...and what the #### is this square picture box in my living room....doesn't anyone appreciate a good vaudeville radio program?