Regionals Anyone?

BAPiTgrl

Wow. . .Kevin, what a fantastic review. I was there both days as well and have to agree with everything you said. It's like you got inside my head! :-)

I see Avon in the top 3, Burg anywhere from 2-5 and Carmel in the top 5 (if not a darkhorse for a medal) Carmel's show is beautifully designed, it's just not my cup of tea. I too thought cgcg struggled, and will probably get passed by a few more guards this season, but I still love the program. I see CGCG anywhere from 7th to 13th. Centerville and WC will both be in finals come April. Zydeco could easily be a medalist this year..

Thanks for your nice words about all the groups! It's greatly appreciated.

I attended the regional (and was surprised by the lack of people in the audience. Way less than last years numbers.) I hope this is not indicative of what WGI finals numbers will be like, or WGI could be hurting even more.

Avon is just fantastic. They look bigger than in years past, and they fill up the stage wonderfully. From an ensemble perspoective this is one of the most seamless shows I have ever seen. Their music (by Mahler) is beautifully intense, and the performers embrase the "Release" theme to a T. The weapon writing is so well thought out, and they fulfill these demanding phrases effortlessly. I hope they take the gold this year, regardless of whether Logan is coming back or not. These ladies (and gentleman) are on fire. Once again!

Miamisburg is great too, and definitely throwing back to some of their late 90 hits. They are fully prepared for this early in the season. Their set design is really interesting with the idea of the Collisseum (sp?) in the back right corner. It looks digitally done, so they have pulled out all the stops. I will say I grew a little weary of the non-stop tossing from the weapons. Yes, they can toss, but it would be nice to see some great World-class vocabulary out there as well. Neverless, they are performing strongly and should be a contender for 2-5 this year at finals.

Carmel is doing a show about Good Luck performed on a tarp of greens and rust tones. The sabre line at Carmel is ridiculous. Those ladies clearly have some of the best training in the class, if not the best. The soundtrack was a little blah for me, although the acapella version of Danny Boy is lovely - for the first minute. This is a feel good show with great choreography and a nice Irish-themed look. I am not sure if they can overtake Miamisburg, however I do think they can place in the top 5. Easily.

Center Grove, oh dear. I cannot speak poorly of Center Grove as they're a perennial favorite of mine, however this is not the Center Grove of late. The costumes, floor, flags and emotional impact from the colorguard left a bit to be desired. I pray they can find their spark and turn this show around. I personally would have had them lower, and was told by many people they felt the same way.

Warren Central is going to be quite good, they just have a lot of cleaning to do (and maybe some parts to be reevaluated? Or perhaps that was the chaos intent?) Their soundtrack is not the easiest thing to listen to for 5 minutes, however the girls have an exciting, raw energy that comes off of the floor. Especially from their talented rifle line (double time for days). The floor cover is stunning as well. I would have had them a bit higher.

Centerville was a big surprise for me, in a good way. Quite the departure from their feel-good shows of the past, this brooding production focused heavily on their strong dance skills and talented weapons. Although it appeared a little unfinished in some spots this is overall a really cool show. The use of the apples is intruiging, and their solo male performer (yes, Centerville has a guy too) nailed what looked to be a blade five in the hilt. I can see them easily in the top 10 this year at WGI if they finish the show, and clean it up. I would have had them much higher (along with WC.)

Northmont, sadly I missed this program (had to take a potty break!) I know they're wearing browns and golds and performing a show to really interesting msic with doors all over the floor.

Ventures had a really entertaining show set to Emmy Rossum's Slow Me Down. The performers really are into the show, which helps. Unfortunately I am not sure that this had an IW class design. They did have an lovely ending flag in blue yellow and white that was beautiful to watch spin. The talent level of the kids just seemed down a bit from in years past (when they were in the IO class), or maybe they just had an off finals run. I felt that the soundtrack also never went anywhere. It's a great piece, but it felt the same from beginning to end. I applaud their efforts though and hope over the next few weeks they can make some changes/detailing that will allow them to sneak into the lower half of IW finals.

Zydeco is wow, wow, wow. Their music is intense, mysterious and bombastic. The costumes are simple, but have a shiny, slightly wet-look to them which is interesting - and a lot of skin showing on some people. What struck me most about this group was their movement. I am not sure I have ever seen a World Class unit with this much dance in their show, being performed at a really high level. A poster below wrote that the flag work felt innappropriate, however I was there, saw it in person, and would strongly disagree. It was musical, lyrical, risky and entertaining. I am not sure what's inappropriate about that? Overall this was the show of the day for me (along with Avon) and I could easily see this group (that placed 7th last year with a much less intellectual, sophisticated or demanding show) placing in the top 3-5 this year at WGI. Espoecially since two powerhouse players (Pride and Fantasia) are not out.

I'd like to say good job to all the talented performers, everyone here in the Mid-West is certainly off to a strong start. Looking forward to seeing more groups in Indiana!

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm wondering if Flanagan is "singing" in this weird "Hopelandic" gibberish stuff.

It would make sense - and be kinda cool - becasue their soundtrack is performed by the band Sigur Ros who "sings" in "Hopelandic."

YES THEY ARE SINGING!!! I was in the warm up area when they were on the other side warming up with the show music only softer when they started singing. I thought it was kinda strange at first but when I asked the one captian she told me the whole story about the language and the gibberish from the band. I think now that she said that I remember reading something about it on WGI when they announced their show.

hopes this helps

Yes correct it is the purpose for the show.. For singing to occur not only from the performers but the entire audience to join in singing your own version of "Hopelandic".

5k + people singing will be awesomely powerful!

i actually reacted with laughter and shouted out loud during this program! :thumbup:

i especially loved the musical reference to the lyrics "shows of long long ago" performed to a flag/rifle head chop!priceless! :smile:

Did you also notice the sabre line's "fan of sabres" in the back?? LOVED IT!

Having now seen Avon, Flanagan and Logan, I think it's gonna to be a tussle at the top. Granted, it's still reaaaaaaaaally early in the season. But right now, If I were a betting man I would have it as:

1. Logan

2. Avon

3. Flanagan

4. Miamisburg

5. Carmel

What's really gonna hurt Flanagan is their show design, as Avon and Logan both have superior products in my opinion and there are parts to flanagan's show that are hard to read, so some re-writes may help them out. Avon's show is done SO well that they are going to get a lot of credit for a show that is absolutely seamless, but their shows still seems to be missing 'something' I'm just not sure what. Logan has again taken an unique approach to their show this season and they are doing some very neat and creative things out there, so I consider them the front runner as of now. With that said, never count out Miamisburg who I know has some changes already in the works and look for Carmel to turn some heads. We still haven't heard from the NE groups, who I know will come out strong. As of now I think it's an Avon/Logan race and then I think a bloodbath for that bronze spot.

Also, I just saw Braddock's show and I absolutely LOVE it! The beginning was so fun to watch, as was the rest of the show. . .I can't wait to see where they take this production!!

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Having now seen Avon, Flanagan and Logan, I think it's gonna to be a tussle at the top. Granted, it's still reaaaaaaaaally early in the season. But right now, If I were a betting man I would have it as:

1. Logan

2. Avon

3. Flanagan

4. Miamisburg

5. Carmel

What's really gonna hurt Flanagan is their show design, as Avon and Logan both have superior products in my opinion and there are parts to flanagan's show that are hard to read, so some re-writes may help them out. Avon's show is done SO well that they are going to get a lot of credit for a show that is absolutely seamless, but their shows still seems to be missing 'something' I'm just not sure what. Logan has again taken an unique approach to their show this season and they are doing some very neat and creative things out there, so I consider them the front runner as of now. With that said, never count out Miamisburg who I know has some changes already in the works and look for Carmel to to turn some heads. We still haven't hear from the NE groups, who I know will come out strong. As of now I think it's a Avon/Logan race and then I think a bloodbath for that bronze spot.

Also, I just saw Braddock's show and I absolutely LOVE it! The beginning was so fun to watch, as was the rest of the show. . .I can't wait to see where they take this production!!

Oh, I've been looking all over for Flanagan's and Braddock's show so that I can see them again. Where did you find them?

I've debated about getting the replay whatever it is, but for 40 dollars and no pride of fantasia I am not sure how much I would enjoy it.

I mean, it's not all about those two, but you know....it's not the same.

I'm also uber-impressed with the IO class this year. . .it's gonna be a good class this year in Dayton. I just watched USF and am floored by their show....LOVE IT!!

USF = Clean Super Clean Flag check them out.

What's really gonna hurt Flanagan is their show design, as Avon and Logan both have superior products in my opinion and there are parts to flanagan's show that are hard to read, so some re-writes may help them out. Avon's show is done SO well that they are going to get a lot of credit for a show that is absolutely seamless, but their shows still seems to be missing 'something' I'm just not sure what. Logan has again taken an unique approach to their show this season and they are doing some very neat and creative things out there, so I consider them the front runner as of now.

You know what my absolutely favorite part about the whole WGI Fan Network thing is? The fact that we all get to watch how each program evolves as the season progresses :) I'm sure neither flanagan nor avon, or any guard for that matter, will have the exact same show they put out this past weekend.

BTW, Avon's show looks amazing! And Arcadia at the Riverside regional was exquisite. IMHO, I don't know why they didn't take home first, but I'm not certified judge :thumbup:

Like I said, I can't wait to see what each of these programs look like in April!