Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

And the Jesse James Gang [from Minnesota] showed up at DCM in 1995. Had about 20 performers on the field, but needed about 30 people to carry out the props --- a full set of flats depicting an Old West town.

:thumbdown:

You're a bit late with the James Gang..They were on the field during the mid 80's..Among the 'props' was a mockup of the front of the 1st National Bank, of course..THAT bank of ill repute.

The best part was when in the middle of the show, they had someone run out from behind the mockup and yelled.."They're robbing the bank"!! Stick horses and "William Tell" later, the good guys beat the bad guys..then transition into 'Shenandoah' ala St. Paul Scouts and into our hearts.

FOR J.C., and all of the old '76 gang..who could forget the BISMARCK Governaires..Unless someone else held out longer, they were the last ALL-MALE senior corps..They came to the Cities in the early 80's, AFTER Cabs went co-ed. They still did "old time" shows with a color pre, and still used squad type drill and company fronts..and weren't afraid to pump up the volume..

A crazier bunch of folks, I can't remember meeting.

Pat

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about adding one you've marched with?... hehe

Only people who ever saw the Keystone Kavaliers were the members themselves and any Post member who made a wrong turn on the way to the bar. :thumbdown:

Translation: We never made it out of the practice room.

Way back in the day, I'm pretty sure there was a corps from NJ called the Jersey Joes.

Fran

There was such a corps, Fran, but they certainly weren't obscure. If memory serves, they took a Legion Nationals at some point in the late Forties or early Fifties.

They wore chocolate brown military shirts and chocolate brown pants - with a white military belt and bloused combat boots (with white laces). All in all, they weren't a bad corps at all.

As for junior corps - how about the Tilton (NH) Forty-Niners? They wore red and white striped sport jackets, white trousers, and a straw boater. Looked more like a barbershop chorus than a drum corps. Probably would have sounded better if they sang.

And another one - the St. Mary's Cavaliers from Claremont, NH. They wore a Three Musketeers type of uniform, complete with musketeers hat and enormous ostrich plume; probably each uniform was worth more than their instruments. A rather large corps for the time, their trademark move was to form a large arc in the middle of the field and, to a very, very long drum roll, they each bowed in sequence. Then, at the drum major's command, they doffed their hats, raised their arms, and shouted, "Good Afternoon Folks!" Remember, this was way back when talking on the field was verboten.

Another one that sticks in my mind was a corps from Danville, VA - seen in the '54 Legion Nationals in Washington. They weren't very good - as seen in the fact that the judges had all left the field before their concert number. The killer was that they had three baton twirlers out front - who were far more enthusiastic than they were talented. Remember, at the time, the penalty was one-tenth for dropping a piece of equipment and two points for picking it up. They'd toss these batons a mile high; miss the catch; and then run over and pick it up.

Standy mentioning "The Lindenaires" reminds me of a whole array of small corps that used to compete on Long Island. The Lindenaires (from Lindenhurst L.I., not Lyndhurst N.J.) were one of the better-known small corps.

The Selden Golden Lancers were the biggest, nationally-known corps of their day, the St. Ignatius Girls were well-known All-girl champions, and the Long Island Kingsmen were a big corps later on, but how many know about or remember such names as: the Holbrook Skylarks, the Sayville Blue Jays (still around as a parade corps), the Oceanside Legionnaires, the Smithtown Freelancers, the Babylon Islanders, the Farmingdale Vanguards, the St. James Saints, Eastern Excelsior, or St. John's of Riverhead?

I know several people who were members of some of these corps who went on to march with the Sunrisers, Cabs and Skyliners, to name a few. Folks outside of Long Island or the NY metro area probably never heard of most of these corps.

:worthy: The brewery is Straub's in St. Marys Pa. and the Eternal Tap is still alive and well. :thumbdown:

I came down there with Storky once in a while when did the drumline,,great bunch of people and good times!

Edited by zarblap

Only people who ever saw the Keystone Kavaliers were the members themselves and any Post member who made a wrong turn on the way to the bar. :thumbdown:

Translation: We never made it out of the practice room.

Well then that's more "obscure" than the Renegades of Everett MA then... :worthy:

We did make it out of these rehearsals...

renegades1971bobpappasb.th.jpg

That "statuesque" Bari in the red Corps jacket (3rd from the left) is moi...

renegades1971thegreekdr.th.jpg

Edited by TennTux

How about the Admirals of Lincoln, Nebraska? I believe they competed at the Legion Nationals prelims several times, including my first in 1966 in D.C.

Our Contra Player played Baritone for the Admirals of Lincoln, NE. I think in the 70's

Edited by Kansan

Well then that's more "obscure" than the Renegades of Everett MA then... :worthy:

Yeah bet you guys even had uniforms too. :angry:

Weird thing is after the corps merged with re-formed Westshore I still had a jacket order for Keystone. As it was a whole $13 :blink: and my mom was ticked about it I bugged the former heads of the corps (or is that heads of the former corps?) about it. Heard something about a problem with the jackets but I didn't care, I just wanted something to show for my $13.

Got a jacket few months after the corps broke up and it said "Cavaliers" on the back. Few years ago I found out the name was actually "Kavaliers". :doh: Still have it in the cellar but doesn't fit for "some reason". :sad:

Edit: Wore the jacket at college and a guy in the band asked if I marched with Chicago Cavaliers. :angry: The jacket is a ugly shade of purple so maybe he was color blind.

Also looking for my pictures of the Booma American Legion Post of Portsmith, NH. The post had a corps named the "Booma Bombers" but no idea if they were Senior or Junior. Andyroo thinks they were a parade corps but he's the only one who heard of the name. Went ot Portsmith for work and later vacation and had to get shots of the Post. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Standy mentioning "The Lindenaires" reminds me of a whole array of small corps that used to compete on Long Island. The Lindenaires (from Lindenhurst L.I., not Lyndhurst N.J.) were one of the better-known small corps.

The Selden Golden Lancers were the biggest, nationally-known corps of their day, the St. Ignatius Girls were well-known All-girl champions, and the Long Island Kingsmen were a big corps later on, but how many know about or remember such names as: the Holbrook Skylarks, the Sayville Blue Jays (still around as a parade corps), the Oceanside Legionnaires, the Smithtown Freelancers, the Babylon Islanders, the Farmingdale Vanguards, the St. James Saints, Eastern Excelsior, or St. John's of Riverhead?

I know several people who were members of some of these corps who went on to march with the Sunrisers, Cabs and Skyliners, to name a few. Folks outside of Long Island or the NY metro area probably never heard of most of these corps.

John, I remember the Babylon Islanders very well. On our way down to Washington in '54 for the Legion Nationals, we stopped at a Howard Johnson's somewhere along the way. As we got off the bus we noticed a corps practicing over on the far end of the parking lot - the Babylon Islanders. One young lady in their color guard was wearing very interesting shorts, and as I sidled over to introduce myself, our Spiritual Director, Fr. MacNamara, told me that he would personally see to my going to He** for all eternity if I went another step closer to her. This was one of those rare occasions when He** won out over hormones.

I have some old black & White photos of them/her stashed away somewhere - along with just about every other corps in that contest - all thirty-three of them.

Andy

New Thread:

Who, and what corps, was this person in that you had a fling with. Now is this a Bill Clinton Fling or the real deal. I'll go "real deal", but I'm not going first. Zarblap started it.

I heard a rumor once that St. Kevins and the Bon Bons had pillow fights the night before the Dream. Heh.