Trumbull Finals Thoughts

JTT

I'll take a stab at my thoughts on what I saw after I was done performing.....

The one performace I cannot get out of my head was Alter Ego's. It's common to see a guard that gets bumped after medaling or getting reviewed the year before, to once in a while struggle in the next higher class. But thats not always the case of course. Had I not known this ensemble was in Open class the years prior, I wouldve assumed theyd been in world class for some years. I also enjoyed the color scheme used and the floor is a nice touch. Great movement, great equipment book and great performance. A pleasure to watch and I can't wait to see it live again.

Blessed Sacrament was a very stylistic change. A lot more movement vocabulary has emerged from this program. They still have an evident sac equipment book that I always enjoy watching. Adding the much improved movement caption they're bringing on, will keep them pushing for the top 5 in wgi Finals. Especially in an activity where we see more choreography and dance thrown in each year. And it will keep coming.

Croatan is a small program, but, they definitely know how to handle their equipment. I wish, for their sake, that they had more members. This guard can handle their equipment well. A small world program but, confidence and performance is not absent. As for the show itself, I was not a huge fan of. But one, I am one person and two, I tend to watch the equipment work itself more than pay attention to the music or theme itself. However, the flag feature, with the solo flags jumping out and then meshing back in with the feature, very clever.

One thing that I usually only get from a guard like Light Brigade, is a performance that makes me want to stand up and dance or throw myself in the air. A guard that did just that for me was Sacred Heart. So, it may not have been the most clean show, (they weren't the only ones, their were plenty of ticks and fumbles in the weekend), but by God could you feel the energy in the gym. Fan Network won't do it just. Between the flag feature and the dance feature going across the floor, you may have well felt as if you were at a Tina Turner concert. Wasn't a big fan of the equipment work, but, the energy, effect and performance group woke me right up. :-)

Black Watch pulled of another show that was highly demanding of the performers character and emotion being involved. The use of props was a nice touch, and used them in very unique ways and added nice texture to the theme of their repetoire. Some of the stuff they are pulling off made me bite my nails because it was so tricky. In the past I wasn't a big fan of the program, but the past few years, they have come to be a liking of mine. This ensemble has been around for quite some time, and they only seem to keep excelling.

In general, I was impressed with all the Scholastic and Independent guards I have seen in Trumbull. It was nice to see Field of View back out of course. It's always nice to see colorguards return back to life. Also, as a New Yorker, I have to say I am proud of any NY colorguard in any class that performed and excelled in Connecticut. It's great to see local colorguards that I am familiar with to accomplish goals and set new standards for themseleves on a national level.

Congrats and great job to all who attened the wgi Trumbull Power Regional. I am very excited to compete and spectate in South Brunswick in a couple weeks :-)

Edited by Fly4aGuardGuy