End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

Hopefully open some discussions...

With some Open Class corps clearly expressing their desire to be World Class or return to World Class and the other issues surrounding the current status of Open Class (provide own housing, no performance fees, etc.) what do you think?

Also, practical ideas on how to keep Open Class more viable always welcome.

I'll start...couldn't DCA and Open Class come to some agreement where DCA would oversee this circuit?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully open some discussions...

With some Open Class corps clearly expressing their desire to be World Class or return to World Class and the other issues surrounding the current status of Open Class (provide own housing, no performance fees, etc.) what do you think?

Also, practical ideas on how to keep Open Class more viable always welcome.

I'll start...couldn't DCA and Open Class come to some agreement where DCA would oversee this circuit?

It would certainly do a heck of a lot to form DCA-West...you could have SoCal Dream, Renegades, and all the Open classes that don't or can;t go to DCI....the schow schedule would be a nightmare, tho, with having to work with or around DCI.

One difficulty, however, would be getting the Opens to make teh move...there's a prestige attached to DCI out here that is NOT applied to DCA...that's a big obstacle to overcome.

It would certainly do a heck of a lot to form DCA-West...you could have SoCal Dream, Renegades, and all the Open classes that don't or can;t go to DCI....the schow schedule would be a nightmare, tho, with having to work with or around DCI.

One difficulty, however, would be getting the Opens to make teh move...there's a prestige attached to DCI out here that is NOT applied to DCA...that's a big obstacle to overcome.

Yeah...the DCA hotbed seems to be on the east coast. And I see it spreading a bit into the midwest, but DCI has the vast majority of the west coast shows.

I just find it really tough on the Open Class corps and discussions with their directors seem to validate my point...no show fees, having to secure (and pay) for their own housing really makes it tougher on these corps. Kudos to those who continue the battle, but maybe we need to find a better way for them to continue and perhaps last longer.

Just so you know...I said 3-5 years.

it will be difficult for the powers that be to completely erase the debt that is the Open Class as long as BD, SCV' & the Colt's organizations have Open Class units.

Yeah...the DCA hotbed seems to be on the east coast. And I see it spreading a bit into the midwest, but DCI has the vast majority of the west coast shows.

I just find it really tough on the Open Class corps and discussions with their directors seem to validate my point...no show fees, having to secure (and pay) for their own housing really makes it tougher on these corps. Kudos to those who continue the battle, but maybe we need to find a better way for them to continue and perhaps last longer.

Does DCA pay performance fees to corps? Does DCA assist with housing costs? How would open class going to DCA be any different than staying with DCI. Plus DCA championships are ALWAYS on the east coast. The majority of open class corps are not from the east coast.

It looks as though all of the open class corps will end up being in California or the southwest.

I cant believe how quickly Division II/III eroded.

Maybe adding a Western DCA circuit could help with more shows opportunities on the west coast.

After the major corps head out east, there are still DCI shows in California, but fewer I'm sure.

Corps dont necessarily have to go to DCA finals as they havent always gone to DCI Finals and many of the students would be in school by then anyway.

It looks as though all of the open class corps will end up being in California or the southwest.

I cant believe how quickly Division II/III eroded.

Maybe adding a Western DCA circuit could help with more shows opportunities on the west coast.

After the major corps head out east, there are still DCI shows in California, but fewer I'm sure.

Corps dont necessarily have to go to DCA finals as they havent always gone to DCI Finals and many of the students would be in school by then anyway.

DCI has ALL of the west coast shows....there isn't a DCA one yet...even thought SCD, 'Gades, and (now) Kingsmen will be on DCA sheet....they're still subject to the whims of DCI (and don't get me going on that issue).

The NE is the hotbed due to the LONG history of Srs in the region. With a stable Sr presence in the West only since 'Gades starting up in 99, there still isn't a culture that really accepts the Srs....although in some areas it's gotton better.

A financial incentive COULD certainly help...even if there were no performance fees, someone else finding and paying for housing would be a HUGE help.

Another concern -- possibly a big one -- is DCI thoughts on a corps like Impulse, Incognito, Gold, etc staying local to California for most of the season (doing DCA West shows, for sake of argument, during and after the DCI show run out here), and only going to Nats at the last minute...say, for the last week of regular shows and then DCI.

DCA is used to this idea...SCD and Renegades are a perfect example...Inspires also come to mind. There was certainly NO resistance to Inspires coming out for prelims and finals and securing a finalist slot with scary ease....they tore the house down when I saw them in 04 .

DCI, however, might not like one of their corps jumping from association to association...even if it would save that corps money in the long run, as they wouldn't be touring, feeding, and housing for 20+ additional shows...monster savings there.

So if DCA West got going with the existing Srs and some of the Open Classes, those Opens may have to decide on sticking with the current game plan and prestige of DCI, or taking their chances with a new circuit and living with DCI's displeasure.

Edited by 84BDsop

Participating in DCI and DCA wouldnt be a big deal if the corps chose too. There were a handful of corps in the Midwest this past summer that performed at MACBDA shows.

it will be difficult for the powers that be to completely erase the debt that is the Open Class as long as BD, SCV' & the Colt's organizations have Open Class units.

Excuse me? "The debt that is the open-class"?

DCI will retain an open-class until enough people with your elitist attitude ascend to voting positions in the organization. And I think that's at least five years off.