End of DCI Open Class

160 members have voted

1. 1. When will Open Class no longer exist?

• less than 3 years from now
    • 3-5 years from now
    • more than 5 years from now
    • what are talking about...Open Class is growing!

And by the way, what "debt" does open-class incur today? As I understand it, open-class was already paying their own way on everything except the world championship venue. Now, they have a sponsor in Michigan City for prelims, and Lucas Oil is already rented for all day Friday/Saturday anyway, so staging open-class semis and finals there creates no additional cost.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Participating in DCI and DCA wouldnt be a big deal if the corps chose too. There were a handful of corps in the Midwest this past summer that performed at MACBDA shows.

I was thinking of an Open class going to DCA one year and DCI saying they couldn't do DCI the next....feeling of betrayal and all that. Isn't there a policy in DCA that a corps cannot compete at DCA if they have done DCI during the same year? I'm not talking about the West Srs, who have no option BUT to do DCI shows, or the occasional Sr appearance at an eastern DCI show...I'm talking about, let's say, Pioneer doing a full DCI tour, including Nats, and then continuing their season into DCA, including THEIR nats.

it will be difficult for the powers that be to completely erase the debt that is the Open Class as long as BD, SCV' & the Colt's organizations have Open Class units.

You need to get facts before making a post like this. The Open Class completely erased their deficit last Summer. There initial target was two years, and they did it in one. There were the only entity within DCI that was in the black.

Along with their decision in '08 to become Open Class, they chose to make the move to reduce judging panels at certain shows...a move that was, then, echoed by World Class. This allowed Open Class to, a) reduce the budget required for judges (without having an adverse effect on scores or judging commentary) and, b)demonstrate to DCI that the Open Class was truly willing to make bold decisions for the good of the entire organization.

While Open Class is considerably more difficult to operate because attendance at Open Class only shows is weak, to say the least. Promotion of Open Class shows is even weaker...and, with the attitudes of a lot of the drum corps community (not directed at you, HardCorp) that going to an Open Class show is beneath them, Open Class will continue to struggle until people wake up and realize that the Open Class product isn't the chumm of the activity...it's a great product that is delievered by members who work their collective butts off just as hard as their WC peers.

OK...Rant over!

Well stated Marc.

Open Class has perservered through many many obstacles and their restructuring dod put them in a better position than in previous years. Michigan City is a big deal for the future of Open Class corps.

However, this being said, the challenges that face Open Class corps are difficult at best. However, the simplest remedy would be for drum corps fans to seek out Open Class shows, pay for tickets and attend. Nothing could change the nature of this circuit quicker than for better participation by drum corps fans.

By the way, got to see Revos Winterguard and their August Rush show in Phoenix last month. Stunning.

Participating in DCI and DCA wouldnt be a big deal if the corps chose too. There were a handful of corps in the Midwest this past summer that performed at MACBDA shows.

i really doubt MACBDA is any threat to luring corps away...three corps participated in 2008. one was a DCA corps (kilties), one was a first year DCI group (Legends), and the Racine Scouts and it looks like the only one of last year's three returning to MACBDA this year is Kilties. 2007 the only group was Legends, which at that time wasn't a DCI approved corps. before that you have Capital Sound and Allegiance Elite, unfortunately (and not related to) neither of these groups exist anymore.

however if circuits like this or SDCA pick up steam and grow, they could become a factor, but i still think if everyone (exuse the pun) "banded" together and moved to DCA that's probably the only way, but again with Colt Cadets, BDB (& BDC), and SCVC you would never get the entire division on board with that.

Edited by bhs alumni

Well, I'm not talking about anything being a "threat" to anything else. If any circuit has rules that does not allow a corps (or any performing organization) to participate in other venues, I think they need to re-think that rule. After all, regardless of $, this IS a performance based activity. The more performances a corps can get into their schedule and be successful, so be it. Good for them!

Both divisions will continue to decline, especially in light of the "great recession" and all else going on in the non-profit world (and with a president and vice president with no record of nor predisposition to philanthropy), unless the management of the corps is focused on making business decisions and not just drum corps decisions. There's a heck of a lot of time between August and June... but yet many seem only to focus on what is happening between June and August.

I was thinking of an Open class going to DCA one year and DCI saying they couldn't do DCI the next....feeling of betrayal and all that. Isn't there a policy in DCA that a corps cannot compete at DCA if they have done DCI during the same year? I'm not talking about the West Srs, who have no option BUT to do DCI shows, or the occasional Sr appearance at an eastern DCI show...I'm talking about, let's say, Pioneer doing a full DCI tour, including Nats, and then continuing their season into DCA, including THEIR nats.

DCA finals are Labor Day weekend...do you think a corps like Pio could hang together after DCI to attend DCA champs? Or some of the Open class corps? That is pretty late in the year, for one, with school starting in late August some places. It would also require more funds to keep the corps going another three weeks after DCI champs.

I think you are right about the DCA rule, from what I recall.

DCA finals are Labor Day weekend...do you think a corps like Pio could hang together after DCI to attend DCA champs? Or some of the Open class corps?

Well...I was just throwing an idea out...given school start times, it might be that Opens choosing to not go to DCI and do DCA West shows might be the most feasible...if for nothing else than for the fact that DCI shows are done by mid/late July...there could be an additional 4-6 weeks of shows out here, and those Open kids could get more bang for their buck...at the same time Dream and Renegades could get more performances in.

DCA finals are Labor Day weekend...do you think a corps like Pio could hang together after DCI to attend DCA champs? Or some of the Open class corps? That is pretty late in the year, for one, with school starting in late August some places. It would also require more funds to keep the corps going another three weeks after DCI champs.

I think you are right about the DCA rule, from what I recall.

My son's last day of school is May 18th and the first day of his corps' move-ins is May 20th. He returns from DCI on August 9th and his first day of school is August 12th. There's no time for anything like DCA.