Colts; First March Camp Update

I heard the brassline at this camp and was amazed. Half their hornline had a sound as big as a full hornline. I can't wait to see what the full line will sound like!

Why was there only half a horn line ?

I heard they needed brass players and are taking cuts from other DIV.1 corps.

but how many are at camps ?

LL

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this book compare to some of the other books (brass, percussion) out there in terms of complexity? I felt that last year's show was entertaining, but the book had an "80's" feel, compared to some of the other (more successsful) shows that were concept driven (Spartacus, Samurai, etc...)

I haven't seen or heard the music in person, but I have several friends in the Colts and they tell me that it is more complex than in previous years. I'm excited to hear it for myself this summer :lookaround:

LL

There was NOT half a hornline. There was about 3/4 of the line there. A number of kids had school committments that happened to fall on that weekend and they were excused for. This is normal for a February or March camp.

The Colts ARE looking for a couple brass players to fill a couple key positions, as noted in the press release they made . They are simply trying to fill specific needs.

As to taking cuts from other Div 1 corps, every Div 1 corps cuts kids. That fact that the Colts take kids who may have auditioned for and been cut by other Div 1 corps makes them no different than their competition in that range of the activity.

CT

Edited by ctomsa

Every corps has kids that aren't ready for the activity. And from my understanding some of the corps higher leaders tried out for other corps got cut and decided to stay with the colts when all is said and done. And as a sidenote I love that the corps really does act like a family and to take a quote from one of my friends who marches there "I would back anyone from my corps, hell I'd even take a bullet for them." This is an outstanding group of individuals who I love watching perform

Every corps has kids that aren't ready for the activity. And from my understanding some of the corps higher leaders tried out for other corps got cut and decided to stay with the colts when all is said and done. And as a sidenote I love that the corps really does act like a family and to take a quote from one of my friends who marches there "I would back anyone from my corps, hell I'd even take a bullet for them." This is an outstanding group of individuals who I love watching perform

You can say this about every drum corps...

LL

I misspoke. Ctomsa's statement was more accurate than mine. My point was, however, that with a less than complete hornline sounding completely full at the camp, imagine what the actual full hornline will sound like!

I misspoke. Ctomsa's statement was more accurate than mine. My point was, however, that with a less than complete hornline sounding completely full at the camp, imagine what the actual full hornline will sound like!

That's the beauty of gymnasiums! I've heard a couple of 18 member hornlines sound pretty amazing indoors.

That's the beauty of gymnasiums! I've heard a couple of 18 member hornlines sound pretty amazing indoors.

This is so true.

It isn't real until you are outside and on the move.

GYM sound.

how many are attending camps ?

I though I read colts are only marching 64.

So only 40 at camp ?

LL

Edited by louielouie

GYM sound.

how many are attending camps ?

I though I read colts are only marching 64.

So only 40 at camp ?

LL

64 is still a pretty big number. It was not until very recently that corps started marching 72 and 80. I always thought 64 was kind of the standard number.