TAMPA POWER REGIONAL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

SCHOLASTIC OPEN

Note: I saw only the final two guards in this class, but if their performances were indicative of the level of competition in Tampa, then the entire SO class deserves a BIG round of applause.

West Johnston High School

Isaac Newton and Johannes Kepler would have loved West Johnston's show titled "Gravity."

This show was heavy - heavy on excellence, that is.

(Ok, extremely lame joke on my part. Forgive me.)

:)

Performed on a simple floor consisting primarily of a barren apple tree in one corner and an oversize red apple in the other, this highly skilled guard from North Carolina showed us why they finished at the top of Open Class at WGI Finals last year.

Very well trained technically, excellent demonstration of movement and a great sense of “performing” for an audience propelled them to the top of this competition, too. And their unison “red apple” flag feature was performed to near perfection. Very well executed and perfectly positioned within the program.

An entertaining, effective, well-crafted show all-around.

They should be a strong contender for a top-five spot in Dayton.

Tarpon springs

I’m going to be bold and say that Tarpon Springs probably had the best conceptualized, most thought out and perfectly packaged show that I saw on Sunday in any class.

Normally, I’m kind of leery of shows that have "excessive” theming. Very easily, that approach can turn into a show about “the stuff” rather than a show about the guard performing as an ensemble and, subsequently, taking the crowd along with them for the ride.

Not this show.

Titled “And Sew it Goes,” the show follows the journey of a dress. We start with raw fabric and guard members wearing dress pattern-inspired uniforms and we end up with a beautifully attired ensemble wearing finished garments inspired by the simple everyday style of the dresses of the 30s/40s.

This show unfolds beautifully and seamlessly. (Both puns VERY intended…!!!)

Again, the props and the other “stuff” are an integrated, necessary part of the program.

On the front line, there’s a seamstress working at an old-timey sewing machine. There are clothes lines for drying large cuts of fabric. Several set pieces like that around the performance space speak directly the "sewing" theme. But they all enhance the activity that’s happening on the floor. The performance space does seem a little “full” at times, but none of the set pieces become problematic in a physical manner. Instead, it heightens the feeling of being in a bustling workroom in a dressmakers shop.

One of my favorite equipment passages of the entire competition came during the final moments of this show. In stages, guard members who have been hidden from view enter the floor from left to right, about 4–5 members at a time.

The first group of girls are using a flag that at first looks as it it’s all wound-up on the pole: you can only see about 10” of the silk itself. Then, 4-5 more girls appear with a flag that now has slightly MORE of the silk showing. Then – and the idea now becomes clear – 4 –5 more girls appear and they’re spinning about HALF of a flag. This continues until the final members appear with the full version of the silk and everyone joins in a beautifully staged flag feature that ends the show on a perfect note. It’s not only gorgeous visually, but it also reiterates the overall theme of evolution and moving forward, reaching the end of your goal, transition, etc.

I actually scored them a bit closer to West Johnston. But hey – what do I know…???

The only downside to the sophisticated, carefully planned, creative show is some of the staging. At times, it seems as if there’s a LOT of stuff happening simultaneously. It makes for a lot of energy and excitement, that’s for sure. But I found myself missing the “something special” that’s happening up “over there” because I was paying attention the "something special" that was happening “over here.”

And the floor – sketches of several fashion drawing representing several eras, 40s, 50s, 60, 80s – while creatively executed and thoroughly appropriate for the show – sometimes seemed to make certain passages of the show and some of the movement kinda tricky to read.

The only reason I mention anything critical of this show is because I feel strongly that EVERY ELEMENT performed by this talented group should be enjoyed and appreciated by 100% of the audience - and let’s not for the judging panel - without any distraction.

Even, so, as I‘ve already said, I think this show was hands down my “people’s choice” performance of the day.

It had sophistication and an understated elegance. And the girls performed every moment of every phrase with confidence, grace and ease.

Also, this was a text book example how to present an “emotional” show that wasn’t weepy, whiny, morose, helpless, tearful or otherwise depressing. It was an emotional show that was very “up” and inspiring – but not in a cliché or maudlin way. It was delivered in a gentle, yet authoritative and inviting manner that continued to build in its emotional appeal right up to the very end.

It was downright enjoyable. And it left you wanting to see these terrific competitors present about 10 more minutes of this show.

Again, one of my favorite programs of any class.

(As if that fact isn’t glaringly obvious by the length of this review…!!!)

Edited by Mr. Know it all

Thank you for a very well thought out and charming review!

I just watched Tarpon Springs on the Fan Network. WOW. I whole heartedly agree with your comments on this group.... just simply amazing. I felt like I was right in the work room with them as they manufactured the dresses(and flags). Just a brilliant concept!

I hope that they do make the journey to Dayton this year and wow the big crowd up north. Spectacular job ladies!!

Yesss I loooovvveeee West Johnston SO their show is AWESOME, the way they use their hair is just...wow....and all the work is BE-A-YOU-TEA-FULL