TAMPA POWER REGIONAL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

INDEPENDENT OPEN

USF winter guard

“The way I see it.”

I saw this show at the beginning of the season and I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about it.

What a difference six weeks can make. The entire package has really come together quite nicely. Very complete and very thorough on all levels.

It’s not necessarily one of my favorite shows of all time, but now I can see (pun intended) why this group has been scoring so well lately. Great movement, solid equipment work, high level of performance ability.

At this point, I think this program is all about fine-tuning. They’ve got the big picture stuff under control. Now, just make every element as perfect as you can make it.

This group of performers is head and shoulders above last year’s guard that finished 12th in WGI Finals. Don’t be surprised to see this group move up a couple of places in Dayton.

Wind

I must admit, I wasn’t at all familiar with this group that made the long trip down from North Carolina.

What a pleasant surprise they were.

They were one of the smaller units that I saw on Saturday. But their show, "Streetlight People," choreographed to a stylized version of “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey, really had a big-guard feel to it. Some very nice stylistic choices were integrated into the show in interesting ways. And as tends to be the case with smaller ensembles, the show was very exposed – and all of the performers rose to the occasion.

Their big tricks from their soloists were both staged and executed well and their ensemble work was great, too.

And a great big shout out and many much-deserved snaps to the soloist who did the front summersault under a HUGE rifle toss. Definitely a crowd pleaser in Tampa.

(P.S.: I think we should get this guy together with the double-rifle Diva from Premonition. What a show THAT would be…!!!))

Fahrenheit

This was one of 4 shows I saw Sunday that was about cold things: ice, winter, frozen tundra, etc. I just found it funny that all of these “cold” shows were coming from the hottest Regional in the country.

As with most other Florida groups, I haven’t seen Fahrenheit since the Ft. Lauderdale Regional at the beginning of February. I came away with a totally different impression this time around.

The show is programmed and paced nicely and a lot of the visual and equipment choices are working well for them.

And I’m not sure when they started wearing the black ski masks during the opening of the show, but it works great for them. It creates an eerie, faceless, anonymous and VERY uniform look.

It also looks as if maybe as an ensemble they’re going to knock over a Winn-Dixie on the way back to Orlando.

But I digress…

They’ve handled the transition from IA to IO particularly well.

Great movement and body work through out the program and in general they’re quite proficient with their equipment.

But they could be little bit crisper with some of the work and a little bit tighter on their ensemble moves. But that’s detail stuff. There’s plenty of time before Dayton to polish those aspects of the show.

University of Alabama, Alta Marea

Another of the cold shows competing at the Tampa Regional. Performed to “The Carol of the Bells,’ the show incorporates imagery of snow and other “wintry” elements in the interpretation their theme.

Equipment book could have been a little bit more challenging for a 2008 IO finalist guard, I thought. But their work was very clean. And their movement and body work was quite nice. And as an ensemble these ladies really “clicked.”

A very pleasing and enjoyable performance on many levels.

Edited by Mr. Know it all

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

INDEPENDENT OPEN

USF winter guard

“The way I see it.”

I saw this show at the beginning of the season and I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about it.

What a difference six weeks can make. The entire package has really come together quite nicely. Very complete and very thorough on all levels.

It’s not necessarily one of my favorite shows of all time, but now I can see (pun intended) why this group has been scoring so well lately. Great movement, solid equipment work, high level of performance ability.

At this point, I think this program is all about fine-tuning. They’ve got the big picture stuff under control. Now, just make every element as perfect as you can make it.

And I’m not sure when they started wearing the black ski masks during the opening of the show, but it works great with their theme. It creates an eerie, faceless, anonymous and VERY uniform look.

It also looks as if maybe as an ensemble they’re going to knock over a Winn-Dixie on the way home.

But I digress…

This group of performers is head and shoulders above last year’s guard that finished 12th in WGI Finals. Don’t be surprised to see this group move up a couple of places in Dayton.

I think you got USF and The Knights confused. The Knights wear the ski mask things USF does not. :)

I think you got USF and The Knights confused. The Knights wear the ski mask things USF does not. :)

Whoops...!!!

Even the good ones can make a mistake from time to time.

Guess that's my faux pas for the year.

I'll fix my review.

(And thanks for pointing that out...!!!)

:)

Edited by Mr. Know it all

Whoops...!!!

Even the good ones can make a mistake from time to time.

Guess that's my faux pas for the year.

I'll fix my review.

(And thanks for pointing that out...!!!)

I was wondering myself what you were referring to in Fahrenheit Open`s program? The guard members have a wht snowflake outlined in blue around one eye. No masks or Winn-Dixie trips in their show :) Could this be the Knights opener creeping into Fahrenheit review? No harm ....The Knights have an amazing show :)

This is part of what you wrote :

Fahrenheit

This was one of 4 shows I saw Sunday that was about cold things: ice, winter, frozen tundra, etc. I just found it funny that all of these “cold” shows were coming from the hottest Regional in the country.

As with most other Florida groups, I haven’t seen Fahrenheit since the Ft. Lauderdale Regional at the beginning of February. I came away with a totally different impression this time around.

The show is programmed and paced nicely and a lot of the visual and equipment choices are working well for them.

And I’m not sure when they started wearing the black ski masks during the opening of the show, but it works great for them. It creates an eerie, faceless, anonymous and VERY uniform look.

It also looks as if maybe as an ensemble they’re going to knock over a Winn-Dixie on the way back to Orlando.

Edited by colorguardbear

Yeah, I got my wires totally crisscrossed on that one.

Mea Culpa.

I'd been jotting brief little notes about each guard in a steno pad. But the stands started getting really crowded. So, I put my notebook away.

That'll learn me, won't it.