Performer Dues

ATXguard

This developed from a topic in another thread.

How much does it cost to perform with your winter guard?

What types of fundraisers, if any, does your guard offer? What are some of the most effective ones?

What type of dues/payment structure is utilized (ex: pay 1/2 by December Camp, pay other half by end of March, or weekly, monthly, etc?)

What do your dues pay for?

For us, dues were $860, but we did offer discounts for students and for helping with certain administrative duties, and fundraisers that went into a general fund, as well as individual fundraisers that went to specific members. Our most successful ones were working concession stands and asking local businesses/friends/families for tax-deductible donations. Many members ended up paying less than $500 because of the success of our fundraisers.

We did a "pay X amount by this date" situation, which I think led us to worry about having the finances to run the organization at certain times of the year. So we're going to try something a little different next year.

Our dues paid for: flags, uniforms, a set of 10 sabres, rehearsal site rental, insurance, transportation to all events 2 or more hours away, food for all members at the Dallas regional, and other miscellaneous stuff.

At State of Art, ours were $200 (plus $50 uniform fee) - so we had to do a TON of fundraising. Since we're a university group, we were able to get some from the student government, as well as from the marching band (we're considered a subdivision of it), but the rest was fundraising: talking to hall governments, getting sponsors, selling magazine subscriptions, restaurant night. We hosted a clinic, too, and we're in the survey thing with CollegeFundraisers.com. We're hoping it won't be as nuts next year, since this year we were also buying a floor, prop materials, and a set of sabers, all of which will be reused.

Edited by SpartanGuard

I used to march with a SW a few years back..

And our dues for fall were $800.

For winter they were $2,000.

Fundraisers included:

Selling ads in the football ads(etc)

Carwash tickets (selling as many as you could)

Working at the local hockey arena behind the service counters/concessions. (The program got most of the money.. but about 30% was put towards paying dues.)

Selling candy boxes.

And when all else fails, try to find sponsors.

The dues usually are paid in a $500 or $600 non refundable down payment. This is used to pay for the floor (which was Printed.) as well as costumes.

After the downpayment, you were required to pay $150 per month.

These payments go towards the paycheck of instructors/additional choreographers, bus fees, plane fees, admission to circuit competitions, admission into WGI, silks.

The payments for makeup (usually from MAC. quite expensive.), showshoes, pratice shoes, rifles ($40), Sabres ($200), gloves ($17), tape, etc..Were not included in dues.

In reality, Winter usually wound up costing a total of $2700.

Edited by amfgx

Nearly $3,000 for JUST the Winter Guard season...??? For a SW unit...???

Are you pullin' my leg...???

Granted, I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to some of the nitty-gritty aspects of the activity, but is $2,000 to $3,000 really the norm these days...???

If so, then I'm surprised that we have more than just a dozen or so Scholastic guards at Finals.

I mean, I just spent nearly $3,000 having my car repaired and I was like, "That's a lot of money to fork-over at once" - and I'm an adult with a full-time job in a private sector industry.

Are all of the high school aged performers at Finals really paying this much to participate in this activity...???

I'm just curious to know if this is the norm all the way across the board or if this represents just the "high end" of what participation dues can be.

Thanks in advance for any information you might have...!!!

I am a director of a SA group. We just completed our 5th year in winter competition. Our dues for the winter are $250. The boosters cover 60% of the cost of the uniforms. The rest gets paid for from the dues. Currently, the school corporation pays for our buses. Our tarp is made of billboards. We design our own show. The more members we have, the more we have to spend.

In the fall, for a rookie member, it can be around $450 or so. But it really depends on the need of the student. They are required to pay for their warmups, practice flag, any gloves they need, their makeup (they pay the boosters, and I pick out the makeup--much easier than giving them a list of stuff to purchase), bodyliners and such. There is a breakdown of what their fees are paying for.

We do our very best to keep the cost down for the kids. A lot of familes in our area are struggling, so we do our very best to keep the fees down as low as possible.

We fundraise a LOT. In fact, we are getting ready to do another fundraiser to boost the guard account--we just depleted it to purchase some Kings.

now i remember when dinasaurs ruled the earth :thumbup: ........... but does anyone else think that winter guard has become a rich man's game? :thumbup: .....for god's sake polo ponies are cheaper! :worthy:

it seems only those who can afford ever rising production costs[proffesional soundtrack design,digital printed floors,couture costumes,hair & make-up,flags,sets,big fees for designers and a myriad of tech staff as well as frequent airline travel,food,housing] are at the top of their class and it's evident that those guards with deep financial resources have a far better chance remaining competitive in todays budget busting arena.

perhaps after scv's recent win and crown guards return maybe more drum corps will attempt to sponsor winter guard programs although they too have their own budgetary worrys at this time.

Edited by dugg

My winterguard fees have been around $1,200 for the past two years (IW). I also participate in my university marching band and the color guard typically pays up to $200 in costuming, makeup, jackets, equipment etc fees. Drum corps still wins - over $2,000. So, overall this year I will have spent about $3,500 on guard. I'm almost up to my $10,000 mark on just the past 5 years I've marched independently. :thumbup:

Nearly $3,000 for JUST the Winter Guard season...??? For a SW unit...???

Are you pullin' my leg...???

Granted, I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to some of the nitty-gritty aspects of the activity, but is $2,000 to $3,000 really the norm these days...???

If so, then I'm surprised that we have more than just a dozen or so Scholastic guards at Finals.

I mean, I just spent nearly $3,000 having my car repaired and I was like, "That's a lot of money to fork-over at once" - and I'm an adult with a full-time job in a private sector industry.

Are all of the high school aged performers at Finals really paying this much to participate in this activity...???

I'm just curious to know if this is the norm all the way across the board or if this represents just the "high end" of what participation dues can be.

Thanks in advance for any information you might have...!!!

I am completely serious.

I know of about 3 SW guards in Florida alone with fees around 2,000.

Can you imgaine how more expensive it is for guards on the West Coast to have to fly out all the way to Ohio every year for WGI Championships. Geez just flying out there and staying at a hotel probably cost $600 alone and that's not including other trips for regionals, costumes, and other needs througout the season.

Edited by kcee

Can you imgaine how more expensive it is for guards on the West Coast to have to fly out all the way to Ohio every year for WGI Championships. Geez just flying out there and staying at a hotel probably cost $600 alone and that's not including other trips for regionals, costumes, and other needs througout the season.

The cost is high all around. Bus transport, plane transport. We're all feeling the burden of it. That's why so many guards only go to dayton ever other year, or every 3rd or 4th year. However, if part of your dues is paying for the transportation, that's great! I've heard of guards who have to pay up to $1500 in dues then pay their own way to Championships, AND pay for their own hotel rooms in addition!

This is an interesting thread, to be sure! I'd like to find out more about how much people are paying and what the money goes to rather than hearing people complain about the cost.

If you WERE a performer in a winterguard at one point, but are no longer performing, what were your dues? When was this? What did your dues pay for at the time? I'm here for information! Let's have it!

Edited by quegrawks