World Guards Folding?

GuarDiva09

I think what I am trying to say is the high cost of running a guard is not just due to inflation but due in part to our own expectations. National Guard Armories are much cheaper than a high school gym. Paying $40 - $65 for a single flag silk and $125 for a single costume is outrageous. We have so many talented designers and technicians in all parts of the country. Why is it now required to fly in staff from all over the country?

I know that guards have always folded due to financial strains....and that they will continue to do so. What I am suggesting will not solve this but could ease the pain a bit.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why have hotels become a requirement? Do schools no longer allow guards to house in them. We always stayed at Miamisburg HS during WGI weekend on the band room floor.

WGI doesn't allow housing in schools anymore due to some legal liability issues. Some groups kind of get around it by doing sort of "black-market" housing that's not affiliated with WGI.

We carpool, sleep on floors, get all our poles donated by a local business, and I make all of our flags........and if it weren't for being sponsored by a band booster organization who can "float us a loan" when all the dues payments haven't come in, we'd have to fold too.

The worst part is, as the expenses go up because of the bad economy, the members "expendable income" is also going down. It's harder for college kids to get a job than ever, yet we need to charge more in dues to be able to just survive.

Edited by justgin

WGI doesn't allow housing in schools anymore due to some legal liability issues. Some groups kind of get around it by doing sort of "black-market" housing that's not affiliated with WGI.

i believe it's mostly due to the litigious world we live in,unfortunately we have become a society prone to engaging in lawsuits making those who were once charitable reticent to assist in these situations.

I think what I am trying to say is the high cost of running a guard is not just due to inflation but due in part to our own expectations. National Guard Armories are much cheaper than a high school gym. Paying $40 - $65 for a single flag silk and $125 for a single costume is outrageous. We have so many talented designers and technicians in all parts of the country. Why is it now required to fly in staff from all over the country?

I know that guards have always folded due to financial strains....and that they will continue to do so. What I am suggesting will not solve this but could ease the pain a bit.

Where I am locally I have seen a lot of the flying in minimized and the utilization of local staff be more the norm. As fas as costumes go $125.00 is an awesome price. I look at it like this 12 shows a season (give or take) Divided by $125.00 equals only $10.42 everytime they wear them! Flags now... they are an issue. I'd like to know who told all those moms that can sew flags they should charge for it!!! LOL

I agree with so much you are saying I have just had to find a way to make it all work in my head and a way to justify to parents.

Where I am locally I have seen a lot of the flying in minimized and the utilization of local staff be more the norm. As fas as costumes go $125.00 is an awesome price. I look at it like this 12 shows a season (give or take) Divided by $125.00 equals only $10.42 everytime they wear them! Flags now... they are an issue. I'd like to know who told all those moms that can sew flags they should charge for it!!! LOL

I agree with so much you are saying I have just had to find a way to make it all work in my head and a way to justify to parents.

I'd be happy if I could fine more than 1 guard parent who even knows what a sewing machine looks like, let alone be able to use it to sew inverted french seams on lame' and poly-silk flags successfully without having a nervous breakdown. And asking them to make a uniform! Oy vey!...

depending on the financial success of the season their are several guards that recieve rather large dividends paid to shareholders of wgi which i'm sure is extremely helpful in keeping keep them solvent.

Edited by dugg

I'd be happy if I could fine more than 1 guard parent who even knows what a sewing machine looks like, let alone be able to use it to sew inverted french seams on lame' and poly-silk flags successfully without having a nervous breakdown. And asking them to make a uniform! Oy vey!...

LOL.....I often joke that the worst thing I ever did was admit that I not only know how to sew, but can make a mean french seam! I did buy my first set of flags EVER for our high school guard this year....but can't imagine the guilt I'd feel if I paid full price for all of them. I do not make uniforms ever, but our seamstresses are GREAT.

I realize we're nowhere near the level of the IW guards that are being discussed......but we did have to make some staff "adjustments" this year, and the financial aspect of things is more of a factor in staffing than ever. I have to be very upfront with the staff and let them know that if they're doing this to make money, we're the wrong guard. :worthy: Fortunately, we're really happy with our staff, and everyone is understanding of the way the economy has affected all aspects of what we do. No matter what, as the director, I do make sure that I'm always the last to be paid.....we do what is needed for the kids and the show first, then pay the staff, then if there is any left, I get paid or reimbursed for gas on those carpools, the endless rolls of tape, etc.

One other thing that seems like it is harder for IO and IA guards is that our kids do have to be under 23. They are either in college, or working at a job that they could get without a degree, while many IW guards have members who can hold a full time "real" job and march on weekends.

I got really lucky in the sewing department. I have a sewing mom who actually enjoys making flag silks. The funny thing is that her kids graduated four years ago and yet she continues to sew for us free of charge. She also has a real knack for color and design and offers many valuable suggestions as part of the design process. We are able to cover all of our silks for under $200 a season.

I got really lucky in the sewing department. I have a sewing mom who actually enjoys making flag silks. The funny thing is that her kids graduated four years ago and yet she continues to sew for us free of charge. She also has a real knack for color and design and offers many valuable suggestions as part of the design process. We are able to cover all of our silks for under $200 a season.

What's her name, phone number, e-mail address and city of birth please? LOL