"B flat" instruments

Bruce Linderman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About these ... ?

G Sops, Flugels and Mellos (5 1/3 feet long)

G Baris, Euphs and Frenchies (10 2/3 feet long)

Although the tubing may have been the same length for the sop/flugel/mello - didn't the bores and bell shapes and sizes make a difference in the tonality ... and wouldn't the same be true for French/Bari/Euph instruments? I specifically remember when we took delivery of our Euphoniums, they seemed to be twice the size of the baritone horns our guys were used to playing - heavier, too.

I could be wrong - I was 15 after all.

Puppet

Of course...and I said so in the Frenchie part!

Bruckner- I was referring to the fingerings... >.<

Even so, it got me thinking along two lines: 1) Of ourse they're the same, and 2) because it's the same pitch.

Then I just went about my usual pendantic path about horn length, pitch and overtone series. Fun stuff, eh? not...

Even so, it got me thinking along two lines: 1) Of ourse they're the same, and 2) because it's the same pitch.

Then I just went about my usual pendantic path about horn length, pitch and overtone series. Fun stuff, eh? not...

I found it quite entertaining!

But I'm weird that way.

No, it's fascinating, really, however, my sensitive ego needs to have some of the dents removed sometimes. T_T

It's never going to stop bugging me that the bolded bit is at all a concern. Making it as easy as possible for a kid to go from band to corps seems to defeat the purpose of the "educational" part of the activity.

But that's just me. I also give a ton of crap to any trombone-playing music major I encounter that can't read tenor clef.

Let's not start a debate on the "education" issue. You might find we have quite a bit in common.

Of course...and I said so in the Frenchie part!

Yes, indeed you did. Mistakenly misunderstood.

Got that.

Then I just went about my usual pedantic path about horn length, pitch and overtone series. Fun stuff, eh? not...

I agree with crazymello and I'll expand with my next response.

Let's not start a debate on the "education" issue. You might find we have quite a bit in common.

This, I thought was a discussion on the mechanics of the various instruments. Otherwise there might have been words like pedagogy thrown around. I agree; we wouldn't want that.

Puppet

This, I thought was a discussion on the mechanics of the various instruments. Otherwise there might have been words like pedagogy thrown around. I agree; we wouldn't want that.

Puppet

Pshaw. Pshaw and harumph. Harumph and balderdash.

And I want no one doing any "gogy" to my feet, athankyou.

Now, back to discussing how long our "horns" are.