A Toast to the corps that are gone

Not DCA. A toast the San Joaquin Stockton Caballeros from Northern California.

Ben Martinez

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Caballeros well from Portland OR American Legion Nationals in 1965... They actually finished 3rd behind my Grey Knight Post Crusaders who won and second place Hawthorne Caballeros.

I wonder when if ever (other than this) that two corps with the same name finished in the top 3 of an important championship?

I remember the Caballeros well from Portland OR American Legion Nationals in 1965... They actually finished 3rd behind my Grey Knight Post Crusaders who won and second place Hawthorne Caballeros.

I wonder when if ever (other than this) that two corps with the same name finished in the top 3 of an important championship?

That maybe the only time in drum corps history that this has occured. I suspect Tom, you'll find out. I owe my learning how to play a horn at age 14 while in

the Royalaires in San Leandro,Ca from Stockton Caballero instructor/arranger/soloist AJ Vierra formerly of the Springfield Marksmen from Springfield,Ma. I

heard he has returned to Springfield and now works with the Marksmen Alumni. Thanks AJ !!! and have great new year Tom.

Ben Martinez

you're welcome ben and the same to everyone in "7"land... If Mike Rogala ever shows his face - give him a special hello from me... To Nalls, Gillman, Rudnicki and all... the best in 2010 to you all... you have been GREAT for the drum corps activity.

I have a Phoenix myspace you are all welcome to visit. There is music and pics, and I'm always looking for more pics of the Phoenix if anyone wants to share. I'm about to update the history of the Phoenix with input and help from Bill McGrath. I hope this information will set the Phoenix story strait once and for all. It's is the story of how a great drum & Bugle corps went up in flames and vanished after 2 seasons. It'll be a history lesson on what to avoid when building a drum & bugle corps from scratch

http://www.myspace.com/therochesterphoenixdrumbuglecorps

I have a Phoenix myspace you are all welcome to visit. There is music and pics, and I'm always looking for more pics of the Phoenix if anyone wants to share. I'm about to update the history of the Phoenix with input and help from Bill McGrath. I hope this information will set the Phoenix story strait once and for all. It's is the story of how a great drum & Bugle corps went up in flames and vanished after 2 seasons. It'll be a history lesson on what to avoid when building a drum & bugle corps from scratch

http://www.myspace.com/therochesterphoenixdrumbuglecorps

hey tom. i haven't seen you in35 years. great to see you on DCP.

• 4 weeks later...

Who could forget Toronto's Etobicoke Crusaders? 69 to 74. First corps to romp on the field with King Herod's Song. Always a crowd pleasing corps. We are celebrating 40 years. Join their Facebook page.

Rundown from 73 Canadian National Championships were:

Standstill: Golden Lions, Ventures of Kitchener/Waterloo, Townsmen of Leamington.

Jr. C.: Senators of Brampton, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Lancers, Guardsmen, East Scarborough Kinsmen, Durham Girls, Marching Saints.

Jr. B. Prelim.: Cardinals of Precious Blood, Optimists Knights, Dutchmen, Etobicoke Crusaders, Krescendos, Dutch Boy, Bluewater Lionaires of Sarnia.

Girls Prelim.: St. Johns of Brampton, Les Cavaliers, Les Eclipes, Marching Angels.

Jr. A Prelim.: Cadets LaSalle, Seneca Princemen, Midlanders, Toronto Optimists, De LaSalle Oaklands, 4th Brigade.

Most of the above corps are not in existence any longer. There was a show every weekend as we made the circuit through Southern Ontario. We made a tour to the U.S. (e.g. Marion, OH, Toledo, OH) and to Quebec every summer (can't remember where we went, LOL. Couldn't undertand French anyway.)

Thank goodness for Alumni: Scout House (who my hubby & I march with), Optimists, Niagara, Midlanders, United, Del, Toronto Sigs, and the newly forming OnCorps, to name most of them. All the Alumni are currently working on getting a Circuit going. It's time for Southern Ontario to rise again. Poor Dutch Boy can't get any U.S. corps to come this far north on their circuit to hold their annual show any longer.

Thanks, Val.

I can't pass without toasting a few "Maine" corps of the 60s'

Katadin Rangers

Pine Tree Warriors

Bath Buccaneers

Portland Sabers

and lets not forget my own Scarlet Cadets from Lewiston.

and lets not forget my own Scarlet Cadets from Lewiston.

Was that the snowshoe corps?

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Nope! "Les Montagnard" was the name of the snowshoe club. They were never a competitive field corps. Just a dozen or so snow shoe racers who would parade to church after the races playing straight G bugles.