How do you want your guard?

SBrancheau

If it were up to you, how would guard be?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. If it were up to you, how would guard be?

• Emphasis on dance, some equipment work, lots of props & costumes
    • Equal balance of dance and equipment work...but with props and costumes
    • Emphasis on equipment work, some dance...some props and costumes
    • Majority of equipment work, little dance, no props or costumes...uniformity of guard apparel

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My choice was the third one. I don't mind "some" dance as long as it 's tastefully done. I prefer to see more aggressive guard work compared to "fluff" that too many groups are doing. Bring back the daring moves that had you gasping for more! b**bs

As a hornplayer id much rather seem a modern gaurd generating some excitment and impact but still respect and apreciate classic gaurds, but i can only watch right shoulder arms and lances and obliques and drop spins for so long before its time for a hot dog.

I voted number three. I feel that equipment work is most important. Why else join a colorguard? Colorguard is an opportunity/activity for a person to spin equipment. Dance performance is offered elsewhere. However, incorporating dance with equipment work is all good as long as equipment work is being done.

As for props, floors don't bother me much since they can help focus attention on the guard work if done properly. Props which can be spun or utilized with a lot of variety I am ok with. Backdrops and other props detract far too much from many of the shows I have seen. Used sparingly, props could enhance the show, like a fountain piece as a central marker.

but i can only watch right shoulder arms and lances and obliques and drop spins for so long before its time for a hot dog.

Did I miss this period? I remember right shoulder arms, but never during a show :whip: Drop spins were a part of our shows, but so was tossing/ exchanging flags, rifles, and in some cases people :whip: We certainly did stuff that guards WOULDN'T try today. I don't see guards today doing 10 yard flag exchanges. Thats what I would call exciting not some girating hips or a simple ballet move(that isn't even done the same or well by all guard members, and can't be seen from the pressbox) Our shows were much more involved than a few drop spins, order arms, right shoulder arms, and a few obliques. You must have been looking at the 60's, and not the early and mid 80's when I marched. Either that or you are being VERY extreme to make a point. This does a disservice to very excellent guards(27th) that did harder work cleaner than ANY guard in existance today. I danced, did movement, wore costumes just like the guards today. But not to the extreme that they do today. If you asked me what was harder to do, it would be getting my equipment work clean, not dancing. Anyone can learn movement and dance. That is not the guards of today problems. Its getting it clean, uniform, and in unison is where they fall short. You want to see excitement, build a three person tall pyramid, have a guy toss his rifle OVER that pyramid and catch it on the otherside :whip: Or try doing a rifle exchange that extends the length of a basketball court. Thats excitement to the extreme!

but i can only watch right shoulder arms and lances and obliques and drop spins for so long before its time for a hot dog.

Did I miss this period? I remember right shoulder arms, but never during a show :whip: Drop spins were a part of our shows, but so was tossing/ exchanging flags, rifles, and in some cases people :whip: We certainly did stuff that guards WOULDN'T try today. I don't see guards today doing 10 yard flag exchanges. Thats what I would call exciting not some girating hips or a simple ballet move(that isn't even done the same or well by all guard members, and can't be seen from the pressbox) Our shows were much more involved than a few drop spins, order arms, right shoulder arms, and a few obliques. You must have been looking at the 60's, and not the early and mid 80's when I marched. Either that or you are being VERY extreme to make a point. This does a disservice to very excellent guards(27th) that did harder work cleaner than ANY guard in existance today. I danced, did movement, wore costumes just like the guards today. But not to the extreme that they do today. If you asked me what was harder to do, it would be getting my equipment work clean, not dancing. Anyone can learn movement and dance. That is not the guards of today problems. Its getting it clean, uniform, and in unison is where they fall short. You want to see excitement, build a three person tall pyramid, have a guy toss his rifle OVER that pyramid and catch it on the otherside :whip: Or try doing a rifle exchange that extends the length of a basketball court. Thats excitement to the extreme!

I'm with you. Imagine if that's all we did? Drop spins and right shoulder, left shoulder, etc. Oh my.

:whip:

Edited by LancerFi

theres a place for "dance" ..I mean its called bottle DANCE, Russian sailors DANCE, DANCE of the tumblers..etc, etc,etc.

But the movement should enhance the equipment to help enhance what the corps is trying to achieve...it shouldn't be center stage, just because.

I dont see ballet adding equipment work...ballet remains true to its form, as do many other mediums. Evolution is fine, but lets keep it within the realm of the medium.

RIfle lines of Madison Scouts and Cavaliers of the mid eighties are perfect examples of dance/movement incorporated into guard work.

~G~

I'm with you. Imagine if that's all we did? Drop spins and right shoulder, left shoulder, etc. Oh my.

:whip:

I think it shows a lack of respect or a disregard for the true reality of what guards actually achieved.

27th Lancers guard (along with Cavaliers, Scouts, Spirt, Anaheim) paved the way for modern colorguard and it wasn't with drop spins and right shoulder arms. It was with new moves, inovative design, and solid execution.

AMEN deftguy! That's EXACTLY what I was talking about when I said, "DARING Moves." Not that today's guard moves aren't hard, they are just not daring to the point that your body or life may be at risk! Maybe that's why there are so many NASCAR fans......they are waiting for a wreck to happen? :whip:

I don't see guards today doing 10 yard flag exchanges.

Perhaps because so many guards did this back in the day that it became *ho-hum* to see another guard do it??

I recall going to shows in the late 80's, early 90's and seeing guards do flag exchanges. After the 5th one, it got repetitive.

And, maybe it's because I have never done guard, but I just don't see the difficulty in it. :whip: