Synthesizers in drum corps

it has been far to long since the last synth thread though... it's about due... I'll peak in every once in a while to see if anyone comes up with anything new :shutup:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video has grown legs and has been linked to many accounts now.I figure it should be easy to find by now.

I'm anti synthesizers. Yes it will be interesting to see what happens this season but I'm very wary of what will be produced. No I haven't heard how it sounds yet. Basically we are introducing an artificial sound into the mix. I hope corps do not use synths as a crutch to mask poor technique in the hornline and drumline.

I'm not a fan of people using WGI and such as comparisons for how electronics are good for corps. Last time I checked WGI and DCI are two different animals. Just because it works in one venue doesn't mean we have to or should use it in another.

I've heard that Crossman are using 3 full time synth players this year. Sweet.

How far off can the first lifelike realization of a Michael Jackson tribute be? Finally drum corps will be interesting.

I heart sarcasm. :P

I say forget Michael Jackson, and go for a John Tesh tribute. Talk about interesting.

How far off can the first lifelike realization of a Michael Jackson tribute be? Finally drum corps will be interesting.

Aim high.Finally a disco show can be rewarded effectively :shutup: .

I hope corps do not use synths as a crutch to mask poor technique in the hornline and drumline.

How exactly would that work?

The Crossman Drum and Synthesizer Band!! YEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!

How exactly would that work?

At some point, maybe not this year, but in the future I see that synthesizers will be producing the sounds of a hornline. If you had a crummy mello line then you could hose them on parts and put their parts into the synth/electric keyboard and....boom you have a nice artificial mello line. Why have the hornline play any louder either when we can just boost the volume on the keyboards to "11"?

At some point, maybe not this year, but in the future I see that synthesizers will be producing the sounds of a hornline. If you had a crummy mello line then you could hose them on parts and put their parts into the synth/electric keyboard and....boom you have a nice artificial mello line. Why have the hornline play any louder either when we can just boost the volume on the keyboards to "11"?

You really think they're going to be able to reproduce the timbre of a 12-14 person mellophone line playing a horn part spread across twenty yards in the middle of the football field with a synthesizer coming through a single speaker on the front sideline on the 50-yard line?

This will not happen. Ever. Have you heard what synthesized brass instruments sound like?

Edited by TSRTS13