OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

100_5752.jpg

100_5753.jpg

100_5763.jpg

100_5767.jpg

100_5768.jpg

This is my post from the Baraboo thread. Thought I'd re-post it here and see if we can keep this thread going the whole summer.

Just got back. I'll post some pictures on Monday. We got up to Baraboo just after lunch as sectionals were starting. First thing I saw was a huge guarsd. 32 present - 2 more that were not there, and 2 more possible. Even at 32 that's the biggest Scout guard I remember.

Drumline was working drill on a field so I didn't stay there to long. Looks like 9,5,5 and maybe 5 plates. One tenor was off by himself practicing the whole afternoon, one snare was laying on the ground but I never saw anyone pick it up, one bass was gone at a wedding.

Horn line looks full by my count. 24 trumpets, 24 bari's/euph, 12 mellos, 13 contras with a possible hole.

Pit had 12 including 2 keyboard players. I'm glad to say that I couldn't even them.

Watched mostly sop sectionals. At least 3 new upper leads this year, so I was a bit nervous. I'm glad to say though that this may be the best lead line since '05. They were working the 2nd tune that had some tough multiple tonguing.

I heard the pit right away playing licks from Malaga, so I though this could be really bad, or really good.

From 4 to 5 horline was on the field working the opener which includes Malaga. It's immediately recognizable, but not copying arrangements from the other hundred times its been done in drum corps. I was pleasantly surprised.

After supper whole horn line/drumline on the field working opener. This is a 6 minute or so piece so they've got about half the show on the field. Not any movement etc... like last year. Maybe it hasen't been added yet. Or maybe it's in the other 3 numbers.

A friend that marches mello explained the whole show concept. I won't give it away, but POWED fits in the theme perfectly.

They have all the show music. Drill is on the field for half the show. So........these are my opinions

Music is much harder than last year.

No body movt's that I saw yet, which is fine for the opener.

Drill - hard to tell from field level.

Strong upper lead sops. Best screamers in years, and my friend said they would let them play.

Drumline sounded great at times, other times not so much.

I'm very happy for where they're at after 2 days.

I'll add more thougts on Monday, as well as some pictures.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if someone could create a photobucket group for this year's photos like they did last year, so we can see everone's photos in one place.

This is perhaps the oddest thing I've ever seen at a drum corps rehearsal. A computer monitor circa 1999 or so :shutup:100_5762.jpg

Really though there was a dude with a laptop setting up recording gear for the gaurd.

Thankfully I couldn't hear the 2 keyboards at all when everyone was playing. None of the other pit instruments were amplified yet. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Hopefully I'm heading back up next week, or the week after for sure. Can't wait to hear the progress that will be made.

GO SCOUTS!!!

POW

Nice pictures - thanks!!

I'm really liking some of the beards in the snarline :shutup:

Thanks for the early-season report and photos! :shutup:

Aw, I was hoping to see photos of the plateline. Is Pepper teching there?

Would be nice to see pics of the guard as well!

Aw, I was hoping to see photos of the plateline. Is Pepper teching there?

Yes, Pepper is back this year. Josh Q. (from last year) is helping out at everydays as well.